New Everton Stadium Discussion

U

Liverpool's biggest mistake was not planning to fully utilise the corners properly. If they had simply continued the mainstand around into the Anfield Rd, they would now be at approx 66k and on course to deliver 75k+ seats over another phase or two (if the transport issues can be resolved). They looked at building afresh on the Park, but that, and the funding model of their then owners was scuppered by the credit-crunch, forcing them to sell up to avoid administration (not massively dissimilar to Moshiri). Their current owners were far more pragmatic and simply wanted to get to 60k+ with as quick a ROI as possible, and they did what Gillette/Hicks insisted was not viable. Yes, there have been hiccups with the Anfield Rd stand and there is little unity with the rest of the ground overall. However, they'll point to a bigger capacity, more corporate and far higher matchday income, all at a fraction of our outlay..... and all while still challenging at the top.

In the 70s, their response to our £1m triple-decker mainstand was to simply add approx 20 rows to the back of their 1906 Leitch mainstand, with a new roof. Quite a few thought it was neat and tidy but lacked ambition at the time, but it didn't cripple them financially, and it didn't stop them going on to dominate football throughout the following decade. I can only assume that they'll be hoping for a similar medium to long term outcome now. That, and our obvious recent parlous financial state is why there is little to none of the oft-mentioned angst, envy or vitreol towards BMD on their forums or in the local press.

I see what you're doing there, Tom. We've spent next to no money on Goodison for 50 odd years and we've had a great team for about 5 of those years. Maybe in a parallel universe LFC rebuilt Anfield in the early 90's with a 75,000 capay or maybe relocated to Stanley Park, and have won the league 30 times. Who knows? All I can say is, I am over the moon with our new stadium and am very glad we didn't stay and redevelop Goodison. All my own personal opinion, of course.

They have plans to extend the Kop over Walton Breck Road, which is why all but The Park has been cleared. That will eventually go.

Yes, I have heard similar. I suppose a lot might rest on any decisions made about safe-standing in the coming years. If increased ratios are ever given the go ahead, they may well go for a new larger Kop perhaps even with boxes at the back or in the corners to offset the cost.

For all the dislike of Moshri and all the years of torment we have had to adhere to, at least this is something he can be proud to leave us when he goes and he deserves a lot of credit for it. Eventually when he does go, we should see the start of a brighter future for the best club in the world. We deserve this amazing stadium and we should be rewarded for what we have had to put up with. UTFT COYB 😀

My thoughts exactly. It’s not going to ruin us and it never was.

We were mismanaged expecting oligarch money to keep coming in, but sadly political issues stopped that and put us in a right mess. We survived.

This is his legacy and it’s nearly finished, the case was we were always going to get a buyer when it’s an incredible investment. And iconic.

Yes I don’t believe there is much envy of us due to the smaller capacity. I do wonder though if in a few years time United deliver a 90k high spec new build then they might start questioning their strategy

What would you rather have, a 61k seater in anfield or a 53k seater on the waterfront? There's people posting on every Everton post on the new stadium, for people who aren't bothered, they go out of their way to comment a lot.
Literally no blues are bothered about their new tag on with a leaky roof.

What would you rather have, a 61k seater in anfield or a 53k seater on the waterfront? There's people posting on every Everton post on the new stadium, for people who aren't bothered, they go out of their way to comment a lot.
This.

Before the build got underway, a search of “Bramley Moore” on Twitter produced results that was at least 75% red tweets.

Now, there’s loads who bang on about it “looking like a Tesco” (really?) and that the team playing in it will still be crap.

Every single social media post about it, be that from Everton or whoever, there is always loads of them in the replies.

A lot of them are very much arsed about it.

I see what you're doing there, Tom. We've spent next to no money on Goodison for 50 odd years and we've had a great team for about 5 of those years. Maybe in a parallel universe LFC rebuilt Anfield in the early 90's with a 75,000 capay or maybe relocated to Stanley Park, and have won the league 30 times. Who knows? All I can say is, I am over the moon with our new stadium and am very glad we didn't stay and redevelop Goodison. All my own personal opinion, of course.

I haven't done anything but state simple facts. I'm in the Bramley Moore right now. I'm as excited as the next blue, and here regularly..... but this only works cos a rich fella is prepared to swallow half a billion pounds worth of losses (if it all goes through). If someone had shown him a 60k GP at half the cost or less, we would probably be there and I'd be having a pint in a pub overlooking that instead. They didn't, and we could've easily bankcrupted ourselves as a result!

This.

Before the build got underway, a search of “Bramley Moore” on Twitter produced results that was at least 75% red tweets.

Now, there’s loads who bang on about it “looking like a Tesco” (really?) and that the team playing in it will still be crap.

Every single social media post about it, be that from Everton or whoever, there is always loads of them in the replies.

A lot of them are very much arsed about it.

I don't do twitter. On Stadium forums and the echo website, they probably have as many reds, if not more, praising it than those being negative.

There are probably more mentions of Anfield on here than there is of BMD on their forums. Yes, some have tried to take the Michael, but nowhere near the reaction some are saying. If only!

I haven't done anything but state simple facts. I'm in the Bramley Moore right now. I'm as excited as the next blue, and here regularly..... but this only works cos a rich fella is prepared to swallow half a billion pounds worth of losses (if it all goes through). If someone had shown him a 60k GP at half the cost or less, we would probably be there and I'd be having a pint in a pub overlooking that instead. They didn't, and we could've easily bankcrupted ourselves as a result!
They didn't, we didn't and we aren't. Can't wait to move.

I don't do twitter. On Stadium forums and the echo website, they probably have as many reds, if not more, praising it than those being negative.

There are probably more mentions of Anfield on here than there is of BMD on their forums. Yes, some have tried to take the Michael, but nowhere near the reaction some are saying. If only!

I bookmarked so many of them on twitter from ages ago, believe me, some live and breathe it. Many went silent when reality hit home, many are still banging on about it daily.

I would rather the 53k on the docks.but I suspect they would rather the 61k remaining in their spiritual with possible further redevelopment to come. We need a fresh start after decades of dross. Them leaving the much hyped Anfield with its famous atmosphere probably damages their brand

I've done some quick maths and I think you're responsible for 97% of all mentions of Anfield on this thread. Maybe a touch less now as I've just mentioned Anfield. And again. Dammit.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.