New Everton Stadium

The day Kendall resigned when we beat Southampton 1-0, I swear me and my mate were the only ones in the lower bullens (well there may have been about 50 or so but they were miles away)

I've always had a soft spot for the lower bullens since then.
I was in there , first of 17 seasons with a season ticket, C 147, then I moved to the upper bullens.

All that stuff
I find this comment odd.
Why does Goodison depress you?
The club depresses me , but not the stadium which witnessed Dean , Vernon , Young and Ball .
A stadium which has seen great Everton sides win trophies.
The Bayern Munich semi
A place my forbears attended from its opening.
A stadium whose atmosphere can be considered second to none.
BMD is a wonderful piece of architecture, but it will exist for the purpose of extracting more money from the supporters for food , drink and ticket prices to maintain a , at present , Championship level side.
That is what saddens me.
A well designed necessary evil.
Having started going in the mid 90s, all that good stuff is before my time.

And from a non football point of view, the experience of being in there is horrible. The toilets in the gwladys street pretty much sum up the club...stuck in the 80s.

I get the previous generations to me cherishing those memories, but beyond family related memories (which is of course very important to me), there's only a few games here and there. Looking forward to making new family memories from next year.

Being realistic, those won't involve winning things, so it has to be more about the match day experience

As someone who's never seen us win anything anyway, I cannot wait to leave goodison.

For me it's just a constant reminder of failure and bad times, reminds me of fat sam, Rafael, cuco Martina, Ashley williams, dcl and most importantly kenwright.
Fair enough.

We just have to hope and pray that the first competitive game at BMD is not a lower league game.

We have to be the 12th man every game this season, just as we were against Palace under Frank.

As someone who's never seen us win anything anyway, I cannot wait to leave goodison.

For me it's just a constant reminder of failure and bad times, reminds me of fat sam, Rafael, cuco Martina, Ashley williams, dcl and most importantly kenwright.
And sadly, far too many of our younger fans haven't seen us win anything, so I get why it may have some negative connotations. Goodison is, however, a great.

For us who've experienced many fantastic memories at Goodison, it'll be a far more sad day, but I think we all know it's the best course of action.

I have a question for the drone lads who had the tour, or anyone else who's been inside.

It relates to the black panels on the elevation. They give the impression that they aren't transparent and would block all the natural light from getting to the underside of the stands. Is that the case? Is there much natural light in there?.

It was empty yeah mate? That's all I remember of that game (apart from Cottee scoring) but it was so empty the stand..
Yes they were grim times , it was a cold really grey afternoon 13,667 was the crowd. I got my ST after the derby tickets went on general sale, I went to the ground in my dinner time bought a ticket and decided if this seat is any good I’ll sort it out, Mark Ward scored and the rest is history. I got a few quid off as there’d already been a few home games.

I am old enough to have seen us win the title v QPR and beat Bayern at Goodison but it is really thirty years past its use by date. If the Carter/Dunford regime had more foresight and ambition a rolling redevelopment starting with a better Park End might have been deliverable but that moment was lost and every owner since then (Johnson, Kenwright, Moshiri) has seen a new build as the answer.

We are fortunate to be getting a location, design and build that might prove to be a worthy successor but Goodison is where I saw my first game with my great-grandfather, grandfather and Dad. Where I took my son and daughter to their first game. Where I made many friends, a few sadly no longer with us. Leaving will be hard but it is necessary.

I just hope we can navigate the financial stresses BMD has contributed to with new ownership who can help give us a future there worthy of the best of our Goodison past. Nil Satis Nisi Optimum.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back