New Everton Stadium

Sorry, that's a container terminal, so the longest bits you could delivery through there would only be 11.95metres long.
But, if you ship material as "bulk" cargo via coasters the only restriction is the size of the hold of the ship {unless you ship as deck cargo}
You could ship the steelwork, including roof trusses (120 - 150metres long) as one piece, half way around the world if you wanted to.
The problem comes if they ever need to go onto the road system once they come off the boat, hence most are assembled on site.
which is more expensive. Precast concrete is better suited to ship as bulk also because open top containers (you would need those for complicated concrete shapes) are about 50% more expensive than standard containers.

Great info. I wonder if this will also help bring the time scale it will take to build the stadium down as well as the costs? Since everything can be bought the to location much easier.

I remember when they were building the Beetham tower, im sure they use to asemble and store stuff at Princes Dock on the waterfront, the disused section, when you think about it there is also a lot of disused space down there ownded by Peel that can also be used for storage and assembely.

Different types of steel.
Buildings (offices, sheds etc where the steelwork is internal and not exposed to the elements) tend to use H and I shapes.
Stadia use more tubes (it's because the steelwork is usually exposed and there's nowhere for water to gather on the outside of a tube)
I was kinda expecting this reply as i know nowt about building a building. I leave wiser & more rounded.

Sorry, that's a container terminal, so the longest bits you could delivery through there would only be 11.95metres long.
But, if you ship material as "bulk" cargo via coasters the only restriction is the size of the hold of the ship {unless you ship as deck cargo}
You could ship the steelwork, including roof trusses (120 - 150metres long) as one piece, half way around the world if you wanted to.
The problem comes if they ever need to go onto the road system once they come off the boat, hence most are assembled on site.
which is more expensive. Precast concrete is better suited to ship as bulk also because open top containers (you would need those for complicated concrete shapes) are about 50% more expensive than standard containers.

...cheers, very interesting. I suppose the materials could be lifted directly from the vessels onto the site (via crane) if the ships can get close enough to the dock?

...cheers, very interesting. I suppose the materials could be lifted directly from the vessels onto the site (via crane) if the ships can get close enough to the dock?
i hadnt really thought about the logistics of actually building the stadium inside a dock before. obv there will only be access to 3 sides, the remaining side will have allsorts of issues to overcome, scaffolding for instance. will be very interesting observing the construction process for sure

Can we start posting the text of Echo articles?

I just cant abide going to that site

Ad, pop, video, add, popup, video. 3 sentences of actual content. FFS
I think this is actually a fair point for all articles. Post the link no problem, but can we all also try to post a least a bit of the text as well please chaps?

I've actually heard a rumour that the stadium has actually already been fully constructed, and is currently enroute to Liverpool from China onboard the Dockwise Vanguard, the world's largest semi-submersible, in readiness for a grand unveiling next month
IMG_7645.webp

Only 4 more games at Goodison though lads :(

Bang on! ... your right.. it's... well er a dock.. well it used to be so with a bit of dredging in the river outside the dock gates you could moor a huge transport ship and just crane any construction materials off. Just been on the Lloyds Register and there are even dedicated cement carriers that are used to transport huge amounts of cement to large construction progetcs that are better access by sea as 'that reduces the overall cost of transportation massively'
Blooming heck.. our build couldn't get any closer to the water!! Along with the obvious large amounts of steel we'd need just those two things alone would change the landscape when talking about the costs of building a stadium. Everything is just brought in by sea.. well the large bulky stuff that cost the most to transport!! You're into something there!!

I've actually heard a rumour that the stadium has actually already been fully constructed, and is currently enroute to Liverpool from China onboard the Dockwise Vanguard, the world's largest semi-submersible, in readiness for a grand unveiling next month
View attachment 35686
Only 4 more games at Goodison though lads :(
You know... you're not gonna be far off from that Dockyard Vanguard thing.. I don't mean 4 more home games which tickeled me but that sort of vessel is exactly what would bring the big bits in. When they build really big ships now apart from a few dedicated massive dockyards around the world, they build in sections and assemble on site.. those two big aircraft carriers of ours in case in point. (The flight deck was done at Lairds I think then taken to Scotland by sea)
What's to stop them doing that with the stadium. Build your sections off site and just ship them in.. not huge obviously as you need the kit to manoeuvre into place but big enough so you save lots of dosh. Like a big jigsaw brought in by sea. These things would cut cost out of this all over the place.. you may well be able to do an 'iconic'' stadium for that price... perhaps that what Meiss has been working on all this timez(must have been doing something) Architects have to come up with construction methods as well as nice designs otherwise we'd all be submitting plans

I think you've mistaken Celtic park for Hampden Park.

Hampden was converted to athletics but it was already a bowl type to begin with. It has huge gaps behind the goals, like the old Wembley, so it was already the right shape for a conversion.

It also took an eternity to get ready.
They started it in the Dec of 2013 for a 10 day event at the end of the following July.
Not sure how long it took to dimantle it all.

Can't see how it could ever be replicated in a ground with stands that are close to the pitch & square to all sides of the pitch.

Apologies if I'm wrong.. just thought I heard Meiss say that's what they did at Celtic Park. Perhaps that was just for the opening ceremony with Rod and the Proclamers. Meiss was talking about designing 'Transformers type stadiums' (his words) that can shift seats and pitch levels to accommodate other sports and music. Goes along with us wanting to make the very best use out of our new ground to generate more money for the club. Either way if it can be used temporarily for some part of the games it's going to generate some sort of payment for us.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back