New Everton Stadium

How is it stupid? It's part of what makes Goodison iconic and a lot of us want the new Stadium to have our identity kept in tact when we move. I go to grounds like the Emirates and Etihad and other than the inevitable signs that it is that clubs home ground (club name, pictures on the exterior), there is nothing iconic that stands out.

With grounds like Goodison and Ibrox, everyone recognises the style instantly.

Depends how it's done really. I'm not going to put forward an opinion on if the Leitch crosses should be used, it's not my stadium. But I reckon subtle references throughout could look great, and it's a simple enough repeatable 'pattern' that it could look really modern whilst still clearly linking back. Little etchings or frosted glass, or having them built into the stair barriers, or aluminium similar to the cladding of our new stadium where patterns only reveal themself when lit up in a certain way, or - as they did at the London Olympics - incorporate the pattern into the concourses and plazas outside so they're visible from helicopter shots. I know open corners are criticised, but I kind of like the almost gated-portcullis thing Arse**l have going on with the corners at the Emirates which give the feel of an armoury.

Do it well, and it could look great. Don't do it well and...

3e5d8ae12f2f0438c7f58fbd3b65eeda199729b9.jpg

lol

If people are asking for a steep stadium with loads of leg room then with a large stadium such as this then many fans will be very far away from the pitch, and there will be less fans per unit of space too. Any tiered stands then really do have to overlap each other.

There's nothing wrong with Davek's post whatsoever. You don't like it because you disagree with it.
Yes there is, and you know it. And yes, its pretty obvious that I disagree with it, and things I disagree with I tend to not like. In fact, finding something disagreeable is the #1 reason to not like something.

Are you different?

Nobody wants a bowl, but would anybody be happy with a truncated Rectangle?

I'm fine with a bowl as long as it's high quality with big stands near the pitch.

Don't buy the 'soulless bowl' argument as that the atmosphere is generated by the fans due to what they see on the pitch

Just up St John's beacon for a work thing. View is amazing (recommended if you've never done it). The view of bramley more will be amazing. I'll try and upload a picture later. Gives you and idea of how immense the stadium will look.

How is it stupid? It's part of what makes Goodison iconic and a lot of us want the new Stadium to have our identity kept in tact when we move. I go to grounds like the Emirates and Etihad and other than the inevitable signs that it is that clubs home ground (club name, pictures on the exterior), there is nothing iconic that stands out.

With grounds like Goodison and Ibrox, everyone recognises the style instantly.

If we were redeveloping Goodison, then I would totally agree, parts should be retained. But in moving to a new stadium, I feel as though we have to let some things go and the architecture of Goodison is one of those things, we should try to create something new and iconic, not just rehash Goodison.

I mentioned a retractable roof. I know its a long shot, but first British club side to incorporate one!?! Just the cost to overcome but thought I'd mention it especially when that wind is blowing on the Mersey in early January. Also - keep the Goodison roar in - so intimidating for the oppo.
Minimum 60k, ideally 61878 so that other club fans might remember the number as well as the name!

Asked for a bit from the Old Lady including Dixie / Holy Trinity, new steep, roaring Gwladys St. Wall of Sound. Even mentioned St. Luke's but think there is more chance of the retractable roof. Leitch design okay with me but if we have to give that up for something unique and breathtaking, happy to go without. Goodison Granites - one there for my Dad and all those other Evertonians so need to take them with us.

BMD - Suggested refurbing the Dockers Clock & Hydraulic Tower. Sight line to the 3 Graces esp. the Liver Building possibly through some sort of retractable window. Also - reference to the birds on the stadium please - belongs to the city.

Didn't ask for too much really. Should be a breeze.

I put retractable roof and retractable pitch, I mentioned the Veltins Arena as well, as one of the top grounds I have visited, along with the Nou Camp and Wembley. I said that obviously wanted Dixie there and a tribute to Howard Kendall. I know we are supposed to see a statue of him at some point this year (along with Harvey and Ball), but he has a stand named after him at Goodison and I think he deserves something similar in the new stadium.

I mentioned that Stoke was one of the worst grounds I have visited for atmosphere, because some of the corners are not filled in and it seems dead and lifeless

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back