New Everton Stadium

It does say both 60k and also 57,982 on images. Main home end at 17k so just slightly smaller than Spurs. I wonder if 2 tier or single tier.

That is transport related information on movement of fans around stadium.

The club are planning for 60,000 capacity.

This has been independently confirmed of the leaked images.

Yes the plans assume > 2000 premium seat fans (50% of total) arrive/leave via car into the car park on the riversde of the stadium so the 57,982 refers to estimated number of fans leaving by foot via the 'fan plaza' on the east side of the stadium to trains, buses, other car parks etc. (very similar how fans funnel from all around the Emirates to the big plaza on one side to head off to tube/bus etc. which was also a Buro Happold project).

It does say both 60k and also 57,982 on images. Main home end at 17k so just slightly smaller than Spurs. I wonder if 2 tier or single tier.

Think this is more to do with planned crowdflow from the highlighted part of the stadium in the diagram, along the roads outside the stadium. It seems they're expecting/planning many more people to filter out to the south.

If I'm wrong and they are capacities of the stands behind the goals, the capacity of the north stand looks small.

Last edited:

Think this is more to do with planned crowdflow from the highlighted part of the stadium in the diagram, along the roads outside the stadium. It seems they're expecting/planning many more people to filter out to the south.

If I'm wrong and they are capacities of the stands behind the goals, the capacity of the north stand looks small.
Not really, it's about 60% bigger than the capacity of the Park End.

The North Stand capacity seems to be restricted by the site dimensions. There is only an 11m walkway outside it to the site boundary which is at the narrow end by modern standards which demand vehicle entry & broad fan concourses for safety.To increase capacity you need to increase stand depth, losing paving.

As there is only a 20m gap at the South end and this has to house the car park access road effectively taking half the space (cannot tunnel in a dock) you cannot do much about it.

So the site effectively only allows one deep end in North/South configuration and that layout is needed for a riverside car park and then roadside fan plaza designed to ease rapid entry/exit for fans. Apparently an East-West layout, that better aligns to the site shape, does not easily create car access or a wide fan plaza for pedestrian circulation. These are both key practical design needs.

Explained to me by an architect mate at HOK who works on stadia/arenas. Every design decision creates trade-offs if the site dimensions are a limiting factor as they are at BMD (bigger than Goodison site, smaller than e.g. Emirates space). He thinks what he saw in that document was probably close to optimal space use for the site.

He also thought the elevated 'floating' roof design that seemed to be levered off the mid tier in the side drawings suggests that one or more tiers may be retractable underneath the roof of West & South stands if needed but says cost for that would blow the budget up nearer £500m (thinks it will be £400m not £300m anyway!).

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back