New Everton Stadium

Yeah there are those possibilities but you don't get intelligent design for the sums quoted. In addition, we have been told that the CG has not impacted the design process whatsoever. It doesn't add up. Literally.

Moveable stands would be brilliant but that would need a cohesive, long term vision for the stadium use I'd imagine as well as being very expensive. Personally think we'll get a Etihad style temporary end if we win the games with the stadium completed fully post 2022.
Yes mate, I think any design with movable stands etc would be prohibitively expensive. As you say, an open end would be the likeliest solution if, heaven forbid, we actually have to have this foisted on us.

I wholeheartedly agree. The London stadium is hopeless for Football so use it for what it was intended for.

Even better, just give it to London.

The Athletics is the main event. If it is not taking place in the appointed city then they have not really got the games.

Like I have said before I don't want to win this and I would be shocked if we did. From what we have heard the track will be dropped into a completed stadium (they have been pretty clear on this point) Our budget appears modest so there is unlikely to be any moveable stand element incorporated.

The Spurs stadium is a good example to use as we are ideally looking for a similar capacity and Spurs are maximising the regs on proximity to the pitch and stand rake. It has proven earlier in the thread that a running track would not even come close to fitting in their new stadium. The interview from Elstone revealed that he is also challenging the designers on proximity and rake. Something is not adding up and a number of us are naturally untrusting on stadium discussion given the number of failures over the years.

...if the bid is successful it will at least give definite momentum to the stadium build. I'm not particularly bothered by the running track, the powers that be have made it clear it will be a football stadium with the front rows the 'minimum distance legally allowed' from the pitch.

...if the bid is successful it will at least give definite momentum to the stadium build. I'm not particularly bothered by the running track, the powers that be have made it clear it will be a football stadium with the front rows the 'minimum distance legally allowed' from the pitch.
The one worry for me is that we end up with a shallower lower tier, as that makes it easier to slot a temporary athletics track in.

The quote from Elstone on this has been bugging me ever since I first heard it.

This is what he said:
"The designers have been challenged to bring the first seat as close as possible and the last seat as steep as possible."

That sounds great initially, but there’s nothing there about the lower tier being steep. Just it being close, and the upper tier being steep.

I’ve been looking at the leaked images of the plans for our new ground, and although they are very low resolution, you can at least get an idea of the tier rake from two of the images which feature stand cross-sections.

I measured the rake of the upper tier at 34-35° on both, which I understand is the maximum steepness permitted.

However, the lower tiers on those two cross-sections are somewhere between 22° and 25°. Much shallower.

Now it’s not as bad as Wembley, which is something like 15° or 16° - or the Etihad, which is about 17°… but they are the worst examples I could think of.

Methinks you are a very trusting guy @Eggs which, knowing the powers that be, means you are likely to be upset if the outcome isn't what you expect.

..I accept to being naive and believing what people say. Never mind.

Until some drawing come out showing us how this will work, people are bound to be sceptical and a bit worried. Dan Meis has an impressive record, but what's being promised sounds impossible, especially with the constraints of the site and with the budget being proposed.

I wholeheartedly agree. The London stadium is hopeless for Football so use it for what it was intended for.

Even better, just give it to London.
I spent a couple of evenings this week attending the athletics at the London Stadium, it's a superb venue in terms of facilities, food and drink, viewing etc but it is clearly a stadium designed with athletics in mind. I can't recall what it looks like when WHU are at home, but it doesn't appear to work well for football and having a dominant home end. If , as has been stated, ours is designed as a football stadium first and foremost and they can "pop in" a track , remove it afterwards and revert to a proper football stadium I won't mind.

I spent a couple of evenings this week attending the athletics at the London Stadium, it's a superb venue in terms of facilities, food and drink, viewing etc but it is clearly a stadium designed with athletics in mind. I can't recall what it looks like when WHU are at home, but it doesn't appear to work well for football and having a dominant home end. If , as has been stated, ours is designed as a football stadium first and foremost and they can "pop in" a track , remove it afterwards and revert to a proper football stadium I won't mind.

At West Ham they build scaffolding over the fixed lower tier and have temprary stands at each end. That's why it takes ages to convert to/from athletics. It really is as low-tech as that.

Front rows can be as close as you like but with 40,000 (or 2/3) of the capacity sat outside the sightlines of a running track it's not going to be tight or intimidating.

Running tracks ruin football stadiums, just ask West Ham fans. The proposal for Everton's new stadium is for the athletics track is for it to be temporary, in short it would sit on the seated area so we would not lose the closeness to the fans we want.

Running tracks ruin football stadiums, just ask West Ham fans. The proposal for Everton's new stadium is for the athletics track is for it to be temporary, in short it would sit on the seated area so we would not lose the closeness to the fans we want.

Olympic_Stadium_%28London%29%2C_1_September_2012.jpg

Look at the area of a running track. 40k people will be sat outside of the track perimiter*. How will that not lose 'the closeness to the fans we want'? The pitch is miles away from lane 8.

*I know the CWG will have no event space at the sides.

Look at the area of a running track. 40k people will be sat outside of the track perimiter*. How will that not lose 'the closeness to the fans we want'? The pitch is miles away from lane 8.

I can't quite work out how they would accomplish it either

But - Elstone is making noises about pushing the boundaries of proximity to the pitch and being at the legal limit, so I'm encouraged by this

Looks ace that to be fair. We could well have something like that

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back