New Everton Stadium

To be perfectly honest I'm glad we haven't gone down a ridiculous fan micro-managed route. The architect and club know the footprint and the desired capacity and will have been working on it. Open everything up to Evertonians and you'd have a majority asking for blue 'towers' (the badge has never been a tower) in each corner and the place would end up looking like some twisted Toffeeland theme park. Let the professionals do their thing, let Evertonians dictate the feel and evocative nature of the place as many on here have said.
Fine. I have no problem with that. So just get on with it.

I'd be surprised if they asked direct questions about capacity. I obviously don't know what Jacko has filled out, but when we had surveys from Spurs the questions seemed designed to inform a decision on capacity, but nothing about capacity was ever asked...e.g. how often do you come to matches, how much more often would you come if a/b/c how much would you spend on a seat in x/y/z area of the stadum would you be interested in x/y/z in the stadiumThe club obviously then collated the answers and came to a decision about what capacity was needed, ratio of GA to corporate, basic pricing models etc. Not sure you'd get a good decision if you just asked every fan what they think the capacity should be. I don't think we were ever asked much about how things should look either, but after feedback years ago the single-tier home end was added.

Moshiri might work in a different way to Spurs/Levy, but that's the kind of feedback we were asked for fwiw.
Isn't it implicit in EFCs questions regarding "what are your favourite away grounds"?

There's a vagueness there as far as I can tell between wanting fans to guide them with some broad brush strokes but to deter them from having any say-so on specifications.

I care not, tbh. I haven't got a dog in that fight beyond wishing not to have a large distance between stands and pitch. My gripe is that whoever is making major decisions they need to get on with it and start to put some flesh on the (very) bare bones of this stadium idea.

What a pointless exercise that was then: asking fans about abstract stuff like atmosphere, what away grounds they like, do they support the use of walkways etc. What sort of input can that 'consultation' bring about? Nothing instructive on the major decisions to be made, that's for sure. A box ticking exercise. In which case, there really is even less reason for these people to delay releasing some vision they have for a stadium well before now, because if they're unencumbered by fan ideas concerning a vision for the stadium then their presentation of some sort of image for this dockland stadium should have been with us by now. What are they waiting for in that respect? I see no reason to delay.

The KD scheme in the first 12 months carried out fan consultation and secured a majority vote, achieved preferred bidder status for the site, got the OK from the relevant authorities such as LiverpoolVision and English Partnerships to build, obtained verification of the bid from the Dept of Transport, Land Generation and Regions, set up the KD Waterfront Development Co. to see the scheme to competition, appointed a construction company to build the stadium and develop the site. We appear to still be at the stage of consultation data sifting. Some might say that's getting on for being tardy...to put it mildly.

I take your point Dave but for all the progress made in the first 12 months, we aren't playing at King's Dock.

Grim news about Birmingham not being ready so they have extended the deadline for bids, so were still in with a chance, damn

Seeing Birmingham won the UK's bid mate I can't see them going back to try and use Liverpool instead. I think this is the CWG trying to get bids from other countries. Whatever is non compliant can surely be made to if necessary.

Just my take on it anyhow.

Seeing Birmingham won the UK's bid mate I can't see them going back to try and use Liverpool instead. I think this is the CWG trying to get bids from other countries. Whatever is non compliant can surely be made to if necessary.

Just my take on it anyhow.

Exactly right. There were two bid processes that took place, but they came within a month of one another, so it's easy to forget that. Birmingham beat Liverpool in the domestic bid process so is CGE and the government's pick. They'll continue to be backed by both, the CGF is just trying to pressure Birmingham into complying with everything they want. Reading Inside The Games' article on this, it sounds like the problems are far from insurmountable, it's just the CGF don't want to find themselves once again in the same position they were in when Durban withdrew. They can't leave anything to chance, but equally they have a duff hand as Birmingham looks like their only option. I'd be massively surprised if Birmingham doesn't host it.

Isn't it implicit in EFCs questions regarding "what are your favourite away grounds"?

There's a vagueness there as far as I can tell between wanting fans to guide them with some broad brush strokes but to deter them from having any say-so on specifications.

I care not, tbh. I haven't got a dog in that fight beyond wishing not to have a large distance between stands and pitch. My gripe is that whoever is making major decisions they need to get on with it and start to put some flesh on the (very) bare bones of this stadium idea.

If a tree falls in the forest, and nobody is there to hear it, does it still make a sound?

I don't know what the questions you were asked were about but I'd be staggered if they didn't include questions about capacity and what the interior and exterior should look like. And if they have how can the responses not affect stadium form? What would be the point of asking for responses along those lines?

I can only think I've misunderstood your reply.

A camel is a horse designed by committee
There’s no way they would take fans views into consideration for the major elements like design , shape , capacity etc
1000 people want a black dome , 1000 want a white bowl and you get a grey splodge.
People want steep sides some people don’t , some want 40,000 some want 75,000
The design team work within planning design and financial constraints plus a base of size and general design

Exactly right. There were two bid processes that took place, but they came within a month of one another, so it's easy to forget that. Birmingham beat Liverpool in the domestic bid process so is CGE and the government's pick. They'll continue to be backed by both, the CGF is just trying to pressure Birmingham into complying with everything they want. Reading Inside The Games' article on this, it sounds like the problems are far from insurmountable, it's just the CGF don't want to find themselves once again in the same position they were in when Durban withdrew. They can't leave anything to chance, but equally they have a duff hand as Birmingham looks like their only option. I'd be massively surprised if Birmingham doesn't host it.
I think the non compliant aspect is that they didn't include details of a running track on a dock... or something like that.

Work is starting.

man-spade-3-20094317.webp

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back