New Everton Stadium

That Chelsea stadium design is bizarre and IMO looks quite dated. Angles suggest they are squeezing every inch out of too small a site.. those external concrete pillars look like the old world trade centre. 1bn for that? really..

I really disagree. I think it's absolutely stunning, it looks like a futuristic cathedral and the design will never date.

chelsea.jpg

The state of that. How can anyone think this looks good?

The weird shape alone is bad, then you get the blue contrasting seats.

Horrible design.

That Chelsea stadium design is bizarre and IMO looks quite dated. Angles suggest they are squeezing every inch out of too small a site.. those external concrete pillars look like the old world trade centre. 1bn for that? really..

I went round there on a tour with a Chelsea supporter recently and I think the bloke said because they're tight for space they are essentially just digging down (4 metres I think he said) to squeeze it in, so you're probably right.

chelsea.jpg

The state of that. How can anyone think this looks good?

The weird shape alone is bad, then you get the blue contrasting seats.

Horrible design.

It is not the best from a birds eye view but from ground level it is something unique and doesn't look like a football stadium at all, which is a good thing. I'm not too sure about the stands inside it though, looks very dull as far as I have seen.

^^ Yeah, it looks stupid from the aerial renders. Ground level looks much better, definitely unique and pretty amazing architecturally, not sure I like it completely though. It's a bit....dour (pic below).

Anyway, posted that article for context really. Chelsea have got on board starchitects H&dM whose designs will always cost a bomb (and the club are apparently looking to buy a brickworks to guarantee the supply of bricks needed for the exterior :Blink:). We've gone somewhere down the middle with Populous (high quality but nothing that's going to shatter the mould), whilst in Meis you've got someone who insists modern stadiums cost too much and are too bloated so would maybe expect something lightweight, minimalist but still high quality when the designs are shown. But that's what he's up against.

Three new c60k stadiums, three different approaches (four if you throw in West Ham's athletics jobby). I hope Chelsea's costs don't spiral anymore though, that'd be a real shame. :coffee:

Herzog-Meuron-Chelsea-Stadium.jpg

You do have to factor in area to cost, both London and Madrid are different to Liverpool.

Chelsea in particular is central London. Contractors will be paying at least 20 quid a day for parking to start with. Believe me when I say as well, most guys/contractors won't be getting out of bed for 300 quid a day, maybe even 500 a day, given it will take two hours each way to likely get in and out.

We will have costs but they won't spiral to the same degree, or shouldn't.

Id stop talking/Dreaming about new stadium for now. Cause it aint happening or going forward as long as there is a possibility of relegation.

There is a possibility of relegation at the beginning of every season. We are not talking about a financial commitment for 2 years, its going to be over 40 years or so. We all know a lot can happen in that time, not to mention that the LCC is a guarantor anyway.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back