New Everton Stadium

It's decades the time frame we're talking about. The thing for me is that the positive prognostications are based on ALL things remaining the same: interest rates, consumer appetite for the football circus, the notion that clubs owned by oligarchs and sheiks across Europe - sometimes the same ones - wont want to break free of national jurisdictions and set up private leagues away from UEFA etc etc.

It's a massive gamble for a club with our relatively limited appeal and poor, non-diverse, revenue streams.

NSNO.

Its a considered one. Gamble that is. Like I have said, I dont reckon we will own the place for decades, even ever.

Now we own Goodison. What benefit do we actually derive from that?
I'm not arguing for status quo on the ground issue, just for prudence.

I'm not arguing for status quo on the ground issue, just for prudence.

If I am right, or even close, prudence is what it will be. Maybe Prudential even.

These massive players do not want short term speculation. They crave long term, stable, predicable income streams. They arent that arsed about the actual capital valuations of the places they build. In the short term anyrate.

It might end up being a lease job. Its the Everton ground, Everton generate and retain the lions share of the income, but never actually owned by the club. If the lease is long, and watertight, win win imo.
It’s Everton who are financing the construction of the stadium. We’ll be signing a 40-year sub-lease from the SPV, after which we will take ownership of the stadium. The yearly lease fee was estimated at £14m p/a.

What we won’t own is the land, we’ll forever be leasing that land and paying ground rent to Peel.

Didn’t the exchange of contracts stipulate last week that it will be a 999 year lease, with peppercorn ground rent?

I honestly don’t see where this huge risk is? Should we default, the council will pick up the bill and then work out a financial plan with the club to finance their financial burden.

Are the council really going to asset strip the second biggest money spinner in the city and effectively make them worthless?

For once, let’s try and be happy about something. It’s about the only thing we have left to hope for.

Stay at Goodison = stagnation. Let’s see how long these sellout games last if there is no hope for better.

It's a trojan horse for a disreputable *businessman* and chums to crack open real estate possibilities

giphy.gif

Nah, I disagree.
Everyone, club, city and businessmen are likely to benefit from the forthcoming relationship.

Some more than others ? Maybe, but there's no perfect solution, so I'm relatively happy with what I think will happen to the area in the next ten years or so.

And their priority wont be Everton mate. Trojan horse to get into the north docks. That's all we are.

We are swimming with sharks here.

If all they wanted to do was to build on the North docks, they could've just bought land to build on the North docks. Peel have been trying to kick start this project for 7 years. By putting a stadium there they have actually complicated the whole issue. Plus, there is a whole load of competition for anything they build from China and the likes.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back