New Everton Stadium

Could be a temporary approach whilst all this uncertainty remains around Brexit. I realize that BMD (if it ever happens) will need to have some corporate hospitality but I am hoping that Everton build a stadium that remains true to its roots and reflects the core fan base. I read Meis's web site page again last night on BMD and it does sound like he understands Everton. He talks about intimidating but that is difficult to do when half the stadium is for the prawn sandwich brigade, many of whom are likely not hard core fans, just there on a freebie. I hope he builds a stadium that makes LFC and others envious because of its location, design and character.

All this silence is a concern - not sure how they are keeping the renderings under lock and key so well if the planning application is really in January. You would expect some leaks by now, maybe from a construction partner. There are usually always leaks ahead of the kit, sponsors, player signings etc. Either the staff at Everton don't know themselves or they have been told in no uncertain terms that any leaks traced back to them would cost them their jobs.

I wouldn't be concerned by the 'silence' (not sure you can call it that, wasn't it only two weeks ago it was announced the land was bought?)

I don't know if it helps, but there were no leaks of our new design, only the same kind of rumblings you've got at the moment.

We knew we'd changed architect because the original architect leaked this info (actually, someone emailed him to ask about the status of the project and he emailed back saying what had happened!), and there were on and off rumours about about NFL involvement. A couple of ITKs got the reveal date right too, so we knew a week or two in advance it was coming. But no drawings leaked.

In fact, you've seen more so far than we had. The pages from the BH document (deleted from this forum, a sure sign they're real) and the blurred Meis presentation at least give some vague ideas.

Could be a temporary approach whilst all this uncertainty remains around Brexit. I realize that BMD (if it ever happens) will need to have some corporate hospitality but I am hoping that Everton build a stadium that remains true to its roots and reflects the core fan base. I read Meis's web site page again last night on BMD and it does sound like he understands Everton. He talks about intimidating but that is difficult to do when half the stadium is for the prawn sandwich brigade, many of whom are likely not hard core fans, just there on a freebie. I hope he builds a stadium that makes LFC and others envious because of its location, design and character.

All this silence is a concern - not sure how they are keeping the renderings under lock and key so well if the planning application is really in January. You would expect some leaks by now, maybe from a construction partner. There are usually always leaks ahead of the kit, sponsors, player signings etc. Either the staff at Everton don't know themselves or they have been told in no uncertain terms that any leaks traced back to them would cost them their jobs.
It's not about Brexit, it's about ethics, bribery etc The rules getting stricter, and companies implementing the rules much more stringently. The corporate world is much less fun than it used to be.

for a start we are not building it in central London, we didnt have to buy/relocate local businesses from central London and we aren't demolishing a pre existing structure and removing same from central London. We are building on a brownfield site in a cheap part of the world. We have a site where the groundworks are already dug out (just a bit damp at the moment) and we have a much easier route to get stuff in and out of the site. I'm sure our final cost will be higher than the currently estimated £300m, but its almost like comparing a Mayfair hotel with my 6 man tent.
You share a tent with 5 men?

I wouldn't be concerned by the 'silence' (not sure you can call it that, wasn't it only two weeks ago it was announced the land was bought?)

I don't know if it helps, but there were no leaks of our new design, only the same kind of rumblings you've got at the moment.

We knew we'd changed architect because the original architect leaked this info (actually, someone emailed him to ask about the status of the project and he emailed back saying what had happened!), and there were on and off rumours about about NFL involvement. A couple of ITKs got the reveal date right too, so we knew a week or two in advance it was coming. But no drawings leaked.

In fact, you've seen more so far than we had. The pages from the BH document (deleted from this forum, a sure sign they're real) and the blurred Meis presentation at least give some vague ideas.

Think the problem is Rob, we tend to already know these things before it is actually announced, so when it is announced, it just feels like old news.

That sets my mind at ease a little Rob. Those BH documents didn't really give a whole lot away to me apart from a rough idea of the shape (probably dictated by the dock footprint itself) and hopefully a 60,000 capacity with a fan plaza. Meant little to me but I understand nothing of planning and construction. I need renderings!

After so many false dawns for Everton on investment, stadium deals, player signings etc. I think most of us are fearing the news that the whole thing has collapsed or they couldn't agree terms on the finance and "Everton now will move on to other sites as the search for a new home continues." I think if this one falls through they will have little choice but to revisit the redevelopment of Goodison. A waterfront location is unlikely to come up again and the club cannot afford to miss this opportunity.

New Spurs stadium looks incredible and will cement your place as a proper competitor at the top of the league, but it's still a nightmare to get to.

That sets my mind at ease a little Rob. Those BH documents didn't really give a whole lot away to me apart from a rough idea of the shape (probably dictated by the dock footprint itself) and hopefully a 60,000 capacity with a fan plaza. Meant little to me but I understand nothing of planning and construction. I need renderings!

After so many false dawns for Everton on investment, stadium deals, player signings etc. I think most of us are fearing the news that the whole thing has collapsed or they couldn't agree terms on the finance and "Everton now will move on to other sites as the search for a new home continues." I think if this one falls through they will have little choice but to revisit the redevelopment of Goodison. A waterfront location is unlikely to come up again and the club cannot afford to miss this opportunity.

New Spurs stadium looks incredible and will cement your place as a proper competitor at the top of the league, but it's still a nightmare to get to.

I agree Spurs Stadiium is impressive but my main concern is not how hard it is to get to but who they will sell to finance it.
Spurs are on the brink of being a contender for the league but they are 2 world class players away from getting there ( while we are 9 at least )
Levy and that Billionaire in the Carribean don’t seem to be flashing g the cash on players or wages

I agree Spurs Stadiium is impressive but my main concern is not how hard it is to get to but who they will sell to finance it.
Spurs are on the brink of being a contender for the league but they are 2 world class players away from getting there ( while we are 9 at least )
Levy and that Billionaire in the Carribean don’t seem to be flashing g the cash on players or wages

I doubt they can afford to do both and Spurs will be around a long time after the new stadium is built. While their stock is high and income is solid it is better to sacrifice today to be in a better position over the next 80 odd years. If they didn't do anything and decade from now the bubble bursts they would have just been Arsenals poor neighbours.

I had an interesting conversation with the CFO of my company last night. Its an international company that would have always spent quite a bit on client entertainment etc.

Anyway, he was saying that nowadays companies are clamping down hugely on giving or accepting gifts of any type from clients. Client entertainment has fallen off a cliff. Nowadays companies even discouraged their staff accepting coffee or lunch. My company has boxes at Ascot and Wembley but are not renewing their deals as they are struggling to find clients who can accept the invite. Apparently it's widespread. Where there used to be a huge waiting list for boxes at Ascot, you can now get one on the day of an event if you like - for a much discounted price.

Unless companies find a way around it that will obviously have a big impact on corporate hospitality at football. Spurs and Chelsea are obviously going big on the corporate side of things. Much more so that we plan to.
Which ignores the fact that a lot of corporate entertainment is largely just a tax write off and is as much about entertaining the MD and the senior manangemt team as it is genuinely helping to drive new business or reward business loyalty.

It's not about Brexit, it's about ethics, bribery etc The rules getting stricter, and companies implementing the rules much more stringently. The corporate world is much less fun than it used to be.
I may be wrong but I believe it did come down from a european directive. I saw the beginnings of this just before I retired 4 years ago and not surprised at the developments.

This could almost derail corporate entertainnent on which all sports rely so heavily. Quite scary. At least if it is a ED it can be overturned should Brexit ever happen.

Which ignores the fact that a lot of corporate entertainment is largely just a tax write off and is as much about entertaining the MD and the senior manangemt team as it is genuinely helping to drive new business or reward business loyalty.
If corporate entertainment is mainly for the benefit of the company employees the only tax benefits are offset of VAT.

Of course you'd declare that as such lol
I know where you're coming from mate, and business's have gotten away with it for years. But it's one of the things HMRC is now looking at very carefully. Auditors/accountants (most anyway:)) are strongly advising their clients to be careful about. As with most things, it's up to the business to prove that the hospitality wasn't for own use, rather than the other way around. As a double whammy, HMRC is now starting to treat these as a benefit in kind. So not only will companies not be able to offset corporation tax, but the directors may also be liable to pay personal income tax.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back