Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

New Everton Stadium

They aren't funding, badly chosen words them from Elstone. They will be acting as guarantors to a loan to that amount which we pay them back with interest, cheaper interest than others though.
No mate. The Council is just acting as guarantor in the event we can't meet repayments.

This should mean we get cheaper finance, so we will be paying the council a guaranteed £4m a year so both parties benefit.

Essentially they're gambling on Everton not imploding, which considering we have been here since 1878 and are an integral part of the city, seems a safe bet.
Cheers.

Won’t stop the RS foaming at the mount, though. So let’s pretend otherwise.

...more words about progress but no visible progress. It is disappointing that a businessman like Moshiri is not able to secure necessary funding. It’s disappointing that a businessman like Moshiri isn’t making this happen. I think it’s perfectly understandable that fans are negative about this.

At the moment there is nothing tangible. At the moment all we have is hope.

Still a bit more than hope I would say. Even if a model was rolled out last night it still wouldn't make us any closer, they have obviously got a design in mind but they can't release it until they get the funds as it may need to be snipped to get it on budget in the event of a shortfall. It would be more disappointing if they show us something that they ultimately can't build to that specification, than just showing us the cheaper stadium to start with.

I get the point though, last night Moshiri had the opportunity to stand up and say, I'm on this regardless of what happens and we will have a stadium there even if I have to part fund it myself. However in 4 years it is possible (however unlikely) that 300 million could be the starting point for a basic 14k stadium and doesn't want to be that man that said he promised to underwrite the build on what would be a 1 billion £ stadium.

West Ham’s London Stadium can’t generate any offers of substance indeed a deal of £6 million pa was not deliverable when Vodafone were thought to be in discussions.

That might be because the stadium is almost universally hated, if you were a brand would you really want it to be attached to such negativity? And that's even before West Ham kick a ball which will knock even more off the value. :)

...more words about progress but no visible progress. It is disappointing that a businessman like Moshiri is not able to secure necessary funding. It’s disappointing that a businessman like Moshiri isn’t making this happen. I think it’s perfectly understandable that fans are negative about this.

For an Evertonian, that is the equivalent of death...

Still a bit more than hope I would say. Even if a model was rolled out last night it still wouldn't make us any closer, they have obviously got a design in mind but they can't release it until they get the funds as it may need to be snipped to get it on budget in the event of a shortfall. It would be more disappointing if they show us something that they ultimately can't build to that specification, than just showing us the cheaper stadium to start with.

I get the point though, last night Moshiri had the opportunity to stand up and say, I'm on this regardless of what happens and we will have a stadium there even if I have to part fund it myself. However in 4 years it is possible (however unlikely) that 300 million could be the starting point for a basic 14k stadium and doesn't want to be that man that said he promised to underwrite the build on what would be a 1 billion £ stadium.

He did say on the OS interview 'Everton need a new stadium and will have one' to be fair to him.

You're acting like it's just a breeze to get a new Stadium sorted. There are so many complex factors that need to be considered and there are clearly spiralling costs due to the club/Moshiri aiming for an ambitious idea in design and capacity. He can't win either way with some of our fans. Have you seen that Chelsea's new stadium has been delayed further until at least 2024? Do you accept that Wembley had it's issues too? Like this:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2008/mar/16/construction.wembleystadium

"The company that built the new Wembley Stadium, which opened last March after years of delays and almost tripling its cost, is suing the engineering consultants behind the project for £253m, claiming that their services were unsatisfactory."

If we went for a 50K 'make do' Stadium and had the funding sorted, loads would be full of it about the lack of ambition. Instead he's aiming for far better, got us the location the fans wanted and demanded (the same people were moaning about us definitely going for Stonebridge Cross due to no ambition) but it's still not good enough for some because they want to just click their fingers and see the new stadium built.

This constant need to be negative about everything from a section of our fanbase on here is boring.

You're acting like it's just a breeze to get a new Stadium sorted. There are so many complex factors that need to be considered and there are clearly spiralling costs due to the club/Moshiri aiming for an ambitious idea in design and capacity. He can't win either way with some of our fans. Have you seen that Chelsea's new stadium has been delayed further until at least 2024? Do you accept that Wembley had it's issues too? Like this:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2008/mar/16/construction.wembleystadium

"The company that built the new Wembley Stadium, which opened last March after years of delays and almost tripling its cost, is suing the engineering consultants behind the project for £253m, claiming that their services were unsatisfactory."

If we went for a 50K 'make do' Stadium and had the funding sorted, loads would be full of it about the lack of ambition. Instead he's aiming for far better, got us the location the fans wanted and demanded (the same people were moaning about us definitely going for Stonebridge Cross due to no ambition) but it's still not good enough for some because they want to just click their fingers and see the new stadium built.

This constant need to be negative about everything from a section of our fanbase on here is boring.

...that’s a fair point and I remain hopeful. I have Project managed a major government IT change but I accept this is a lot different. Saying that, I would’ve expected more visible progress at this point with finance secured and high level plans in place.

I think the fans malaise is understandable given the lack of anything tangible and so many false dawns. We are having to accept words until we see actions. We are having to live in hope.

Last edited:
The price of materials has increased by over 60 percent in recent years, that will no doubt continue to increase as Brexit happens (and the country as a whole will be on its arse). I reckon the costs will be closer to 6-700 million. Which is simply un-sustainable considering how poorly we do in terms of revenue (ticket sales, commercial revenue etc).

I don't get why our billionaire owner doesn't seem to be putting any money towards it either? It seems like the club and council are taking all the risks and the person who bennifits if it turns the worst will be moshiri.

And speaking from a resident of Liverpool - us building a stadium will be a fantastic thing for the city. However making the council liable could kill it off. Anderson himself have said the city doesn't have any money, so how can they take such a RISK to councils services and credit rating - if it all goes to crap? We was fighting for relegation for almost half a season and we have no assets to sell any more, it would be the worst timin to be trusting in Everton .

The council has no buisness getting involved other than planning approval and making it as easy as possible for Everton to make it happen - they simply don't have the funds if the worst happened.

...that’s a fair point and I remain hopeful. I have Project managed on a major government IT change but I accept this is a lot different. Saying that, I would’ve expected more visible progress at this point with finance secured and high level plans in place.

I think the fans malaise is understandable given the lack of anything tangible and so many false dawns. We are having to accept words until we see actions. We are having to live in hope.
Eggs, you have been an Evertonian long enough to know better...

...that’s a fair point and I remain hopeful. I have Project managed on a major government IT change but I accept this is a lot different. Saying that, I would’ve expected more visible progress at this point with finance secured and high level plans in place.

I wasn't having a go at you specifically by the way, was just pointing out that it gets frustrating reading a lot of people moaning and I get the feeling that if they weren't moaning about one aspect of it, they'd find something else to complain about. I understand the general concern due to it being Everton who so regularly let us down but I think people need to accept that our situation is so much different this time than any other time we have been involved in trying to secure a new Stadium.

In past attempts, did we have a millionaire or billionaire at the back of us? In past attempts, did we have the Council fully on board or even remotely on our side, or were they in fact in conflict with us... In 2001-2003, did we have such a boost to our club revenue from the TV money? Were we regularly spending massive amounts of money on players proving our owner actually does have a large amount of wealth (people can say it's not the case, but we have just made Tosun our 7th £20m+ signing with 6 of them during Moshiri's time here). And finally, were any of our previous plans to move part of a £5.5bn regeneration scheme?

I wasn't having a go at you specifically by the way, was just pointing out that it gets frustrating reading a lot of people moaning and I get the feeling that if they weren't moaning about one aspect of it, they'd find something else to complain about. I understand the general concern due to it being Everton who so regularly let us down but I think people need to accept that our situation is so much different this time than any other time we have been involved in trying to secure a new Stadium.

In past attempts, did we have a millionaire or billionaire at the back of us? In past attempts, did we have the Council fully on board or even remotely on our side, or were they in fact in conflict with us... In 2001-2003, did we have such a boost to our club revenue from the TV money? Were we regularly spending massive amounts of money on players proving our owner actually does have a large amount of wealth (people can say it's not the case, but we have just made Tosun our 7th £20m+ signing with 6 of them during Moshiri's time here). And finally, were any of our previous plans to move part of a £5.5bn regeneration scheme?

...I understand the argument and hear the evidence but at this stage that continues to be all we’ve got.

It’ll be interesting what chance posters give the new stadium actually happening. I honestly can’t score higher than 6/10 at this point in time. Slightly more chance it does than it doesn’t but that’s me living in hope rather than a reasoned view.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back