Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

New Everton Stadium

I said yesterday on this subject that it feels like a staged retreat: ask for the impossible from a L.A. while stressing the cost could rise even further.

It feels like a ruse to knock this plan on the head. Private investors wont touch this with a barge pole. The decision makers wont be long in (initially) kicking this into the long grass then killing it off officially.

You reckon project stadium has had it Dave?

I do. same rubbish new owners. hahah

Maybe over the course of negotiations LCC have offered our club this opportunity and it has therefore become Plan A. Then once it is secured we will go in to the market for the rest.

That is just as plausible.

Neither of us know.
Agreed.

But for it to go from one plan to another it suggests there was a reason for that and the reason - it would be obvious to conclude - is that there's not enough interest from private investors in this project to make a dent in financing the stadium.

Exactly mate. People seem to think it's a never ending source of massive revenues. It wont be - certainly not over 30-40 years debt repayment.

Back in the 90's we were paying 6 million annually just in interest, the TV deal was tiny in comparison and the ticket prices were a lot cheaper. If naming rights pull in a modest 5 million per year along with all the benefits a prime location brings (not to mention our sponsored USM Finch Farm) with it that is 11 million of around the 15-20 we need to find and even then that includes the council over payment so even if we defaulted that part we would already have the money to ensure the LCC don't have to pay anything for us based on income going back 25 years. Our income may go lower than it is now but will not hit lower than it was back then.

Again haven't gone into any of our commercial deals, (other than the naming rights) extra hospitality and another 10 to 20 thousand seats without restricted views. We will also have a fanzone where we can generate income from selling stuff, presumably a resturant over looking the Mersey.

It's just crazy to think that the stadium won't pay for itself.

Back in the 90's we were paying 6 million annually just in interest, the TV deal was tiny in comparison and the ticket prices were a lot cheaper. If naming rights pull in a modest 5 million per year along with all the benefits a prime location brings (not to mention our sponsored USM Finch Farm) with it that is 11 million of around the 15-20 we need to find and even then that includes the council over payment so even if we defaulted that part we would already have the money to ensure the LCC don't have to pay anything for us based on income going back 25 years. Our income may go lower than it is now but will not hit lower than it was back then.

Again haven't gone into any of our commercial deals, (other than the naming rights) extra hospitality and another 10 to 20 thousand seats without restricted views. We will also have a fanzone where we can generate income from selling stuff, presumably a resturant over looking the Mersey.

It's just crazy to think that the stadium won't pay for itself.
Eventually such a stadium would pay for itself...in the meantime it'd offer us no extra substantial cash flow because we'd be servicing debt.

You have to ask yourself what the worth is here. Does it outweigh risk to two civic institutions for the returns?

No, IMO.

its even more laughable to suggest their is no risk at all, if their is no risk investors would be lining up and moshiri himself would be funding it or taking out a loan. they arent because its far too risky.

infact most business are not investing right now, simply because brexit could change the entire landscape.

I really want this to happen. The kopite whingers will be saying "But what if you are relegated?", and I think we need to find an effective answer to that question, other than stating a belief that relegation is unlikely.

After the annual TV income, which is dependent upon remaining in the Premier League, our biggest assets are probably our players. What's the value of our squad right now? It will be a fair whack!

Maybe the council could be entitled to a percentage share of player sales? There are numerous ways in which it could be structured. For example, it could be a consistently small percentage of 5% or something that could easily be saved up and then only used in the case of a default. Or it could be a higher percentage that only came into play in the event that we are relegated etc. It could conceivably even reduce the term of the loan if it allowed for quicker repayments.

I dont know. I'm just trying to think of ways to offer further security than just stating a belief that "Relegation is unlikely". Our assets are on the pitch, so why not offer them up as a form of security?

its even more laughable to suggest their is no risk at all, if their is no risk investors would be lining up and moshiri himself would be funding it or taking out a loan. they arent because its far too risky.

infact most business are not investing right now, simply because brexit could change the entire landscape.

and because literally every huge commercial build runs in to extra 100's of millions of costs.

the site we are looking at is probly one of the most obscure places to build a stadium. world heritage, dock side etc etc.. its could very easily go 300m over in the blink of an eye.

Eventually such a stadium would pay for itself...in the meantime it'd offer us no extra substantial cash flow because we'd be servicing debt.

You have to ask yourself what the worth is here. Does it outweigh risk to two civic institutions for the returns?

No, IMO.

It depends on the amount you are servicing. £90 million a year (half of our current income) then by all means you should take that position where you stand now. 15 million is a much more palatable figure, over the last 2 years we have spent that on managers alone, by the clubs own accounts we have put in 9 million regarding the new stadium. We have that kind of money available NOW, this without the benefits and extra income that a new stadium would generate. This extra income would help push us along. More details need to come out in terms of having a safety net account the council have access to. Hopefully this should allay peoples fears.

Is it ideal we have to go to the council to help funding? No. But the council benefit from this deal, they see that we have got the income to help push development of the docks, this increasing the cities funding in future and help it compete with places like Manchester.

In future if we want ever to be taken over by a Sheikh Massosive bin Ofkash we need this move, they won't look at us twice if we remain at Goodison. If we have a new ground in a much more upmarket part of town new investors will see the benefits of taking us over and trying to compete with Liverpool to be best in this city, before trying to become best in the country.

Along with the fact there is another club that will happily move into ours if anything goes wrong I can't see an issue.

and because literally every huge commercial build runs in to extra 100's of millions of costs.

the site we are looking t is probly one of the most obscure places to build a stadium. world heritage, dock side etc etc.. its could very easily go 300m over in the blink of an eye.
I work in the structural engineers business as well, and I can ensure you, as soon as you go beneath the ground, costs sky rocket, this goes one step further. filling in a dock will be a very very complex and expensive procedure. and that is without evening mentioning ground soil/foundation conditions and what other problems that inevitable arise.

It depends on the amount you are servicing. £90 million a year (half of our current income) then by all means you should take that position where you stand now. 15 million is a much more palatable figure, over the last 2 years we have spent that on managers alone, by the clubs own accounts we have put in 9 million regarding the new stadium. We have that kind of money available NOW, this without the benefits and extra income that a new stadium would generate. This extra income would help push us along. More details need to come out in terms of having a safety net account the council have access to. Hopefully this should allay peoples fears.

Is it ideal we have to go to the council to help funding? No. But the council benefit from this deal, they see that we have got the income to help push development of the docks, this increasing the cities funding in future and help it compete with places like Manchester.

In future if we want ever to be taken over by a Sheikh Massosive bin Ofkash we need this move, they won't look at us twice if we remain at Goodison. If we have a new ground in a much more upmarket part of town new investors will see the benefits of taking us over and trying to compete with Liverpool to be best in this city, before trying to become best in the country.

Along with the fact there is another club that will happily move into ours if anything goes wrong I can't see an issue.
At current rates of spending on the squad, servicing a debt to the tune of £15M per year represents about half our net spend. The point where we could see a tipping point in our favour from debt repayment to cash spinning operations would be a long time after 2022/23 that's for sure.

There's no way debt repayment wouldn't severely impact team quality.

It was a great idea to go for BMD. But we are not the club to see it to fruition. We cant carry that burden. That's something I've been concerned about for a while: that there's no commercial partner and that costs are going to go up and we'd be left with a very long period to pay off the debt, and that allows for the maximum amount of time-exposure to default.

The courageous thing to do now is to walk away.

At current rates of spending on the squad, servicing a debt to the tune of £15M per year represents about half our net spend. The point where we could see a tipping point in our favour from debt repayment to cash spinning operations would be a long time after 2022/23 that's for sure.

It was a great idea to go for BMD. But we are not the club to see it to fruition. We cant carry that burden. That's something I've been concerned about for a while: that there's no commercial partner and that costs are going to go up and we'd be left with a very long period to pay off the debt, and that allows for the maximum amount of time-exposure to default.

any club in the world bar city or PSG would be effected by such a debt. heck the likes of united fans did protects because they had around 500 million in debt and they could not spend as much as they could due to interest payments etc

I just dont see how we can service the debt AND compete to the point we stay above relegation. I just Dont see how its possible.

I personally really do think we just missed the opportunity and its 10-15 years too late for such a project.

Last edited:

Can't begin to say how much I disagree with your summary. All I can say I'm glad you are not running the club. :)

I won't be able to convince you otherwise and you will fail to bring me round to your way of thinking so we will have to agree to disagree on this one. However I agree with you fully that this will be a hard sell to pass it through the council to approve the loan.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back