Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

New Everton Stadium

Are you being serious?

SC isn't his land to keep. Also, the funding for the stadium build is the problem, not the site. What makes you think we would get funding to build a stadium at SC but not the waterfront?

Just adding to the over the top negativity throughout this thread. It seems to go something like this:
  • Find something/anything to complain about
  • If any part of the project turns out to be successful e.g we go for the fans favoured location option, or agree on the purchase of the land, move on to a new thing to complain about
  • Blame Moshiri for being a Billionaire and not putting in hundreds of millions of his own money
  • Declare the project is doomed and that we should now consider other options

As Arch Stanton said, I was under the impression this falls under local decision making rather than national, hence Joe's confidence to get it agreed. The_La seem to have inside info on the process. Is it likely that the auditor or cabinet would stop it happening?

As I say, the feeling is that Joe will successful force it through. Bottom line is that people have to vote on what is good for the city of Liverpool. If Joe presents a case that shows the city will clearly benefit and that there are proper safeguards in place for the council's money, it shouldn't be a problem.

But people have got their backs up because he's moved the goalposts without referring back to cabinet. Joe's position is nowhere near as strong as it used to be, ever since he lost out in the metro mayor vote.

As for questions about when the DA and cabinet will make decisions, I'll try and find that out.

One other thing I've been told - it's being sold as £7m profit per year for council - but seems that's misleading. That might be what Everton have to pay the council, but there are costs to the council associated with the borrowing. Actual profit could be something like half that amount. Still significant benefit for the council.

The headwinds against this project are enormous. The risks involved similarly enormous. If LCC passes this against public opposition there will be objections and an inquiry and a ruling years down the line.

We wouldn't need player sales, they will take the first chunk of the TV money or ticket sales and that would be that. Payment satisfied for another year.

Because of parachute payments we would be OK for a season or two, you get £90m when you get relegated. The club are banking on a new stadium making £50m a year. That would drop in the championship, but even if it’s cut in half, we would still generate enough on match days to pay the council back. Based on the repayments of £18.3m a year to the council for the stadium, I don’t really see an issue, unless we are in the championship for a long time, then the stadium could be seen as a drain on potential transfer funds

The headwinds against this project are enormous. The risks involved similarly enormous. If LCC passes this against public opposition there will be objections and an inquiry and a ruling years down the line.
Where is the public opposition? All I'm seeing is a few RS Twitter warriors.

The public haven't got a clue of how this deal is going to be set up, and neither do you, me or anybody else on this forum.

The council will do what is best for this city, not listen to some no-mark on the street who wouldn't know an efficient business proposal if it slapped them in the face.

As I say, the feeling is that Joe will successful force it through. Bottom line is that people have to vote on what is good for the city of Liverpool. If Joe presents a case that shows the city will clearly benefit and that there are proper safeguards in place for the council's money, it shouldn't be a problem.

But people have got their backs up because he's moved the goalposts without referring back to cabinet. Joe's position is nowhere near as strong as it used to be, ever since he lost out in the metro mayor vote.

As for questions about when the DA and cabinet will make decisions, I'll try and find that out.

One other thing I've been told - it's being sold as £7m profit per year for council - but seems that's misleading. That might be what Everton have to pay the council, but there are costs to the council associated with the borrowing. Actual profit could be something like half that amount. Still significant benefit for the council.

Ok cheers - explanation is much appreciated.

The public haven't got a clue of how this deal is going to be set up, and neither do you, me or anybody else on this forum.

The council will do what is best for this city, not listen to some no-mark on the street who wouldn't know an efficient business proposal if it slapped them in the face.
Couldn't agree more - where is the opp coming from apart from some red bitters and members of the general public that currently don't understand the full situation. Its a knee jerk reaction that will settle down with time. If the numbers add up, it will go through and I think Mosh was always going to foot the shortfall through his contacts/resources/associates.

Just checked. No dates set for district auditor or cabinet to look at and approve anything yet. But not expected to be a problem. Both approved the original deal, and the new deal is better for the council financially. They are duty bound to approve it if it all stacks up - which it seemingly will.
Got to get through the 80 members who are voting for it on Monday first though.
Then it's full Council on Wednesday where Richard Kemp (Lib Dem) will almost certainly will have something to say about it - but Joe will have everything lined up to shout that down.

What I'm hearing overall is that it's "highly unlikely" that the Council will stop this from happening. Despite the metro mayor blow, Joe still has what he needs to get stuff done in Liverpool, even if his rep took a bit of a battering. He's still the main man in Liverpool at least and if he wants this to happen then it almost certainly will do.

You won't be happy until Everton is reduced to three people and a dog watching some kids kick a football around a muddy field on a Sunday morning. Then you can be happy in your misery.

We are going to move to a brilliant and massive stadium on the waterfront. It will be glorious.

Every major development will have opposition, this is likely to have more than others.

One part of this statement is true.
They're interconnected. The likely inflation of this stadium way beyond half a billion ramps up the exposure to borrowing by both LCC and EFC.

It's a crazy scheme. If Anderson gets his way and the council stick with the project then it'll be buried under so much objection that it's almost certainly getting kicked into the long grass until it's forgotten about.

Every major development will have opposition, this is likely to have more than others.
Where is the opposition? Once all is agreed, the finer details will be released to the public.

The ill-informed people who think that money will be coming out of services will need to put their ignorance aside and accept that it isn't.

This is the kickstart for a £5bn regeneration of a derelict area. The city are going to do all they can to start the project, if Moshiri's aim is to make money out of us, it is his biggest priority, too.

Spreading your own ill-informed negativity as fact is doing nobody any good, especially when things are already bleak for us on the pitch.

So as much as you want it to fail, Dave, just wait until we actually see it in black and white.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back