Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

New Everton Stadium

I don't think it's defeatist mate, but when you support a club where there has been so many false dawns in their history, it's healthy to have a touch of scepticism.

Elstone doesn’t fill me with confidence but compared to what we saw in previous stadium plans this one does have viability and merit.

What ever your views on council involvement in the procurement of funds it’s this key element that’s different. The council as a state entity is seen as a stable partner to borrow the funds to complete this.

I worked on the Wembley rebuild as a contractor (civil engineering firm) and I can tell you the FA didn’t have all the funding in place to start with ( they had about £500m of the £750m required or something like that) its not unique to this situation.

Well we seem to have £0.00 in place. Bit of a difference. And like I say, I am firmly in the Pro BMD project, but cant square this particular circle this far into the process.

I worked on the Wembley rebuild as a contractor (civil engineering firm) and I can tell you the FA didn’t have all the funding in place to start with ( they had about £500m of the £750m required or something like that) its not unique to this situation.

There are still questions to answer I didn’t say they did answer all the questions but I still haven’t seen anything to suggest that’s over as some have claimed. Yes there are challenges and risks with any large scale projects but I wouldn’t be surprised if if they did finally pull this off based on what I have read.

My only concern is the escalating costs and that would only really concern me if the club started building and didn’t have the funds to finish. We are not there yet so let’s see what’s happening over the next few months before bemoaning another failed stadium build.

If it fails and the by all means go nuts and we can dicect why when it happens.

I seem to remember that they suggested an original figure of about £250M, then it turned into about £450M then £650M then.......well you know where it went..... delays and cost overruns just kept adding up......

some truth in what nsno-chris says. Deffo more opposition this time round compared to the original finance arrangement which cabinet and DA approved with little problem.

Info I'm hearing though is that Joe is still expected to force it over the line.
Important vote next Monday.

Didn't doubt what nsno-chris was saying regarding the difficult questions Joe is having to face. Those questions were inevitable and will probably continue to be asked well into the build itself - like Moshiri said there will be bumps in the road. However, I do doubt the remarks by some that it won't happen and was never going to. FM did not come here to invest in a team just to remain the best of the rest in an old stadium with a lot of history but no real future apart from the odd cup run...maybe. He has seen an opportunity to drag one of the last great clubs in England out of the mediocrity mire & back into the big time. The stadium is central to that plan and something will have to be done to address the stadium millstone that has been around our neck for too long. The funding stream/model may have to change if the council cannot support it - it is up to (and in the vested interests of) FM and his associates to make this thing happen one way or t'other.

Well we seem to have £0.00 in place. Bit of a difference. And like I say, I am firmly in the Pro BMD project, but cant square this particular circle this far into the process.

To be fair we are working on this assumption but for all we know Moshiri could have ring fenced £150M towards it and now we are just finding the last bit of funds for the bells and whistles once added to the £280M that they believe will fly through the council executive.

The point is none of us have a clue what is going on behind closed doors.

To be fair we are working on this assumption but for all we know Moshiri could have ring fenced £150M towards it and now we are just finding the last bit of funds for the bells and whistles once added to the £280M that they believe will fly through the council executive.

The point is none of us have a clue what is going on behind closed doors.

True. We could be looking at this the wrong way round. Not occurred to me that. Moshiri has secured X, (under the radar), and as Liverpool will benefit, wants LCC to facilitate the rest.

Makes as much sense as anything else.

Yep - none of us really know. There might be a few people hearing rumblings but at the moment that is all they are. It will be a business decision based on facts and figures and at the moment the money looks like it stacks up for the city.

Think the club missed an opportunity last week in deciding not to at least show some basic visuals to help grease the wheels a little bit with a few doubters. The renderings that appeared on stadium city of what look like the 2022 Commonwealth designs demonstrate the vision for the North Docks and the importance of a new stadium to that development.

The PL bubble of money is not going to burst anytime soon and Everton have to get amongst it or forever be left behind. The City v [Poor language removed] game on Sunday underlined the strength of the 'product.' I detest LFC, but they have played in some games over the years that have helped define the PL. A strong, competitive Everton would actually improve that 'product.' Along the way we may even pick up some Scandinavian plastic fans of our own.

True. We could be looking at this the wrong way round. Not occurred to me that. Moshiri has secured X, (under the radar), and as Liverpool will benefit, wants LCC to facilitate the rest.

Makes as much sense as anything else.
Yep - I think the money from FM is there. He is just trying to broker the best possible deal that he can with support from the city for as much as he can. Can't really blame him for trying or expecting Robert Elstone to deliver on that. If it doesn't work out, then he'll have to put his money (or that of his associates) up instead.

I seem to remember that they suggested an original figure of about £250M, then it turned into about £450M then £650M then.......well you know where it went..... delays and cost overruns just kept adding up......

Yep delays in securing the funds but they got there in the end. They managed to get there due to government support which persuaded institutions to lend the funds.

Once the design was finalised the cost was about £750m in the end but Brent council really wanted it to happen even though it was cheaper to have it in Birmingham.

Guess where it is now eh ? Again not saying it will definitely happen but it’s our best chance of it happening unless Liverpool win the Olympics bid and we move into that hypothetical stadium.

If the full council approve the loan it goes to the debt management office of the Treasury. The government will certainly call it in to finalise planning permission. So two big hurdles after the council.

If the full council approve the loan it goes to the debt management office of the Treasury. The government will certainly call it in to finalise planning permission. So two big hurdles after the council.

If it provides loads of jobs and helps regenerate a particular area in need of regeneration then it should pass. A long as it’s not going to adversely impact negatively on another neighbouring borough or council like Kirby would have.

The biggest hurdle is the funding needed with council helping to secure that. Then some sort of naming rights to augment that too.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back