Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

New Everton Stadium

Great idea badly planned.

When the "architecture" of financing came out last spring I think we all knew this was fanciful. Certainly there was a lot of raised eyebrows. I think the club genuinely gave it a go to see if they could get private investors on board, but the lack of info throughout the late summer and autumn was picked up on by a few of us and it looked ominous even then. The Elstone NYE statement and the AGM statement look like a club preparing its base for the worst. The desperate hope that the council will wear Anderson's latest plan is the only thing keeping this scheme alive, and once that's rejected the end will soon follow. It's a bitter blow and will have major off-field ramifications.

I just hope the Royal Hospital fiasco doesn't have any effect on the proposed new Stadium. Just typical that the RS get their big stand built on time but the Royal Hospital gets delayed by a year+ Carrilion goes bust meaning there is huge uncertainty over when the Hospital will get finished.

It will be perfect ammunition for the bitter RS to lobby the council with. Just hope Anderson stays strong on this.

Better off not going then, IMO.

If Moshiri can't afford to take on the full cost of the scheme without the councils help then we need it more than ever. The location will put us in the shop window to get someone who can afford these things. As long as the main stand and the home end are done to a certain (but cheap) standard the other two sides can be variants of the park end stand that could be built upon in time.

That way everyone gets more legroom, unobstructed views and a stadium that has more capacity to generate income through naming rights, hospitality and non match day events that Goodison simply can't.

At what point will the doubters pivot when the stadium build begins? I think the next thing they'll do is pick apart every decision & amplify every minor mishap along the way (to be expected), never actually being able to celebrate such a fantastic "blessing" & try to spoil everybody's good vibes.

Glass.Half.Empty.Headz

i don't think people will really believe that its happening until there's some sort of construction work occurring other than chucking some rubble in the dock.

I just hope the Royal Hospital fiasco doesn't have any effect on the proposed new Stadium. Just typical that the RS get their big stand built on time but the Royal Hospital gets delayed by a year+ Carrilion goes bust meaning there is huge uncertainty over when the Hospital will get finished.

It will be perfect ammunition for the bitter RS to lobby the council with. Just hope Anderson stays strong on this.

Doesn't matter how strong Anderson stays mate, the final say won't be down to him. Also, I don't think it will be just RS fans who will lobby against the stadium, there will be plenty of residents out there who will have no allegiance to any team who won't be happy about it either. I actually know a few blues who it doesn't sit right with, even though on paper it looks a good bit of business for the council.

At what point will the doubters pivot when the stadium build begins? I think the next thing they'll do is pick apart every decision & amplify every minor mishap along the way (to be expected), never actually being able to celebrate such a fantastic "blessing" & try to spoil everybody's good vibes.

Glass.Half.Empty.Headz

When ALL the money is in place and building work has begun.

Not gonna lie, when all this started up, I thought finance would be the last thing to be an issue. Not cos Moshiri has a few bob himself, but because its what he is involved in. He knows people, methods, etc etc.

Honestly thought it would be planning, newts, build issues etc that would be the major sticking points. Not finance.

Oh well. Lets just hope my initial theory re the docks and that was a bit right. Otherwise I am stumped.

Glass.Half.Empty.Headz

For me the most worrying time will be when the Stadium build starts. When we are shelling out huge sums of money but not getting any return on it. To pull it off we will need to be much smarter in the transfer market, we will need a better manager than BFS, we will need the build to go smoothly and come in on cost.

It is going to be a nerve racking period but much better than the current scenario of dying a slow agonising death at Goodison.

When ALL the money is in place and building work has begun.

People will still complain that it’s not going to happen even when walking through the turnstiles.

I haven’t seen anything thing that says the whole thing is going to collapse (and I’ve looked) but stables geniuses seem convinced it will and offer no evidence to support such claims.

Building a stadium of this magnitude will come with risks inherently so what ? We can’t stay where we are long term and we need to progress. This is the most viable and concrete plan I’ve seen for a new stadium to be built although there are still questions to answer it more viable then anything anyone else has put forward.

No one is going to build a new stadium for free and hand over to Everton just like that. I’m not saying it will definitely happen but it’s more probable it will then it won’t, but some of the defeatist rubbish I’ve read on here has been laughable.

No one is going to build a new stadium for free and hand over to Everton just like that. I’m not saying it will definitely happen but it’s more probable it will then it won’t, but some of the defeatist rubbish I’ve read on here has been laughable.

Of course. But its not knee jerking nor unrealistic to be this long into the project, and we still dont seem to have a clue who/how/why it will be funded.

When I did a pretty large property conversion, the first thing I did was secure the finance. I assumed, wrongly it seems, that Everton/Moshiri have not, or did not. I find that odd, to say the least. And I have been a firm supporter and advocate of the whole thing.

People will still complain that it’s not going to happen even when walking through the turnstiles.

I haven’t seen anything thing that says the whole thing is going to collapse (and I’ve looked) but stables geniuses seem convinced it will and offer no evidence to support such claims.

Building a stadium of this magnitude will come with risks inherently so what ? We can’t stay where we are long term and we need to progress. This is the most viable and concrete plan I’ve seen for a new stadium to be built although there are still questions to answer it more viable then anything anyone else has put forward.

I don't think it's defeatist mate, but when you support a club where there has been so many false dawns in their history, it's healthy to have a touch of scepticism.

Of course. But its not knee jerking nor unrealistic to be this long into the project, and we still dont seem to have a clue who/how/why it will be funded.

When I did a pretty large property conversion, the first thing I did was secure the finance. I assumed, wrongly it seems, that Everton/Moshiri have not, or did not. I find that odd, to say the least. And I have been a firm supporter and advocate of the whole thing.

I worked on the Wembley rebuild as a contractor (civil engineering firm) and I can tell you the FA didn’t have all the funding in place to start with ( they had about £500m of the £750m required or something like that) its not unique to this situation.

There are still questions to answer I didn’t say they did answer all the questions but I still haven’t seen anything to suggest that’s over as some have claimed. Yes there are challenges and risks with any large scale projects but I wouldn’t be surprised if if they did finally pull this off based on what I have read.

My only concern is the escalating costs and that would only really concern me if the club started building and didn’t have the funds to finish. We are not there yet so let’s see what’s happening over the next few months before bemoaning another failed stadium build.

If it fails and the by all means go nuts and we can dicect why when it happens.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back