New Everton Stadium

The penny – or great mountains of them – appears to have dropped with Pochettino and when he addressed the press, before Monday’s game against Watford at Wembley, there was a shift in his stance. Mauricio Pochettino: ‘The move to the new stadium is not suddenly going to change everything and millions of pounds will rain from the sky.’

I think it's more a case of the penny has dropped with whoever wrote this article - it's like he hasn't been following anything the past few years. :Blink:

Poch is basically saying we're not going to suddenly be Man City, not that the stadium won't be of benefit. And we all know this, it's not a sudden realisation or "reality check" for us or the manager. Poch's words might've been news to whoever wrote this article, but really there's nothing new at all here. :hayee:

The article is only correct insofar as Poch has got us to a level where, to improve, we need to buy players we probably can't afford. That's a real dilemma, but only shows how well he's done since he took over, and how hard it'll be to keep competing with much richer clubs. But nobody - let alone the manager - was ever under any illusion we'd be competing with Utd or City in the transfer market after the stadium move.

The new stadium means we'll need to punch above our financial weight less than we had to in a 36k stadium and medium term should see us level-up with Arsenal and Liverpool financially (a proposition no other club outside the top 5 is even close to realising). But the gap to the top 5 is so big that you only need to take a cursory glance at our finances (did the guy who wrote this article do that?) to see the stadium would close that gap, not eliminate it, let alone have us competing financially with the very richest teams.

As for selling players, there's only a handful of clubs who don't have to sell sometimes, and since the new stadium will put us in Liverpool and Arsenal's ballpark financially, not Barca's or City's, why should it surprise anyone that players will still leave from time to time after the stadium move? Again, it's just reality.

It'd be bloody stupid if anyone at Everton used the kind of reasoning in that article as an excuse not to press on with BMD.

/rant

EDIT: arghhh, ten minute rule on editing posts here, can a mod delete my previous post?

I think it's more a case of the penny has dropped with whoever wrote this article - it's like he hasn't been following anything the past few years. :Blink:

Poch is basically saying we're not going to suddenly be Man City, not that the stadium won't be of benefit. And we all know this, it's not a sudden realisation or "reality check" for us or the manager. Poch's words might've been news to whoever wrote this article, but really there's nothing new at all here. :hayee:

The article is only correct insofar as Poch has got us to a level where, to improve, we need to buy players we probably can't afford. That's a real dilemma, but only shows how well he's done since he took over, and how hard it'll be to keep competing with much richer clubs. But nobody - let alone the manager - was ever under any illusion we'd be competing with Utd or City in the transfer market after the stadium move.

The new stadium means we'll need to punch above our financial weight less than we had to in a 36k stadium and medium term should see us level-up with Arsenal and Liverpool financially (a proposition no other club outside the top 5 is even close to realising). But the gap to the top 5 is so big that you only need to take a cursory glance at our finances (did the guy who wrote this article do that?) to see the stadium would close that gap, not eliminate it, let alone have us competing financially with the very richest teams.

As for selling players, there's only a handful of clubs who don't have to sell sometimes, and since the new stadium will put us in Liverpool and Arsenal's ballpark financially, not Barca's or City's, why should it surprise anyone that players will still leave from time to time after the stadium move? Again, it's just reality.

It'd be bloody stupid if anyone at Everton used the kind of reasoning in that article as an excuse not to press on with BMD.

/rant

EDIT: arghhh, ten minute rule on editing posts here, can a mod delete my previous post?

Good post mate.

I do think Spurs are currently at the height of where they can get too and face their biggest challenge yet to maintain that, but it should also be said, in another world where a decision or two goes the there way you could easily have won leagues and cups in the last 3-4 years but at times you've lost a crucial game you needed to win.

From what I can see (and correct me if I have this wrong) your model is very much about avoiding galiticos, avoiding an arms race in terms of spend and building up a very strong squad with a young first team who complement each other? Players will leave every so often, but generally the continued improvements of the young players around them will make up for that (either directly in that position or more broadly).

It has worked very well so far, there is a crisis point though, when said players eventually mature into their peak years (they are now very close with Kane being 25 soon?) and start demanding salaries that match this. So far he has put it off as a younger player and having a love for the club, but you imagine each year that goes buy it becomes harder to hold him (and others) to the wage constraints you've set.

The concern for Spurs will be, if rather than 1 a season leave if a summer comes where 3 or 4 want to leave quite quickly. All and Kane are beginning to look like they may want to move on, Alderweireld will likely go and Dembele will also leave this summer. It's not impossible not to replace these players but it becomes increasingly difficult to keep producing them. Logically Spurs should probably have fallen away the last couple of years but have compounded expectations by continuing to improve, but it will remain a big challenge.

That being said, having to sell world class players is never a bad problem to have. It's far better than having wasted huge sums of money you can't get back!

Give me Spurs problems anyday over ours.

They certainly face challenges but are infinately better equipped to sustain a challenge on the top four / six, far moreso than we are to mount one.

The stadium will impose restrictions on them, but they are now run in a very disciplined manner anyway, and have used the transfer market expertly to gain additional revenue for spending. It will take a world record fee for them to part with Kane.

That same stadium will also be a big factor in attracting players, building long-term sustainability, and increasing their global attractiveness.

We could do far worse than try to copy them stroke for stroke in most respects.

I guess we have to be cautionary with BMD though, I'd rather it got built at a low 50k capacity to keep costs to a minimum rather than not get built at all.

BBC reporting that the cost for Spurs new place is now touching £1 BILLION.

That is a lot of Harry Kanes or Gareth Bales.

@RobSpurs

Could be a tough few years for Spurs with Alderweirld and Rose both apparently wanting out.

This is whats frustrating as them hamstrung financially and Arsenal in a stage of transition post Wenger would leave a spot wide open for a club like us with investment to try sneak in. Whats so frustrating about us atm.

Id love to be in Spurs position now, rather than ours. Everyone goes on about competing with City etc for world class players but there are only very few teams who can do that. The key for the rest of us and what Spurs have done well so far, is to buy top potential and develop them together with the aim to win things.

Problem comes when you do that and players are just picked off. Every time there is a really good young team over the years, it gets ripped apart by bigger clubs.

Could be a tough few years for Spurs with Alderweirld and Rose both apparently wanting out.

This is whats frustrating as them hamstrung financially and Arsenal in a stage of transition post Wenger would leave a spot wide open for a club like us with investment to try sneak in. Whats so frustrating about us atm.
You're dead on here, it's not just how bad we are, but the context of how bad we are that stings so badly.

Austerity Chelsea look thoroughly unwilling to spend the sort of money they used to as well. With some financial backing and a good manager, we'd have every chance to really challenge those elite teams in the league.

Dunno. Think they will play the first 4 games away next season.

Just seemed a lot of money.

Without a sweetheart lower interest rate deal too, as we have done with ours (rough calculations on ours I have around 19 million p/a for 1/4 of the costive theirs) they could well be looking at repayments of 100 million p/a, and thats without further costs growing. I do think, the sort of impact you saw at Arsenal will be seen at Spurs too while the ground is paid off.

Aren't we supposed to be seeing images of the BM stadium soon? For some reason I thought that something would be released 3-4 weeks after the fan consultations.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back