New Everton Stadium

He continually references West Ham's stadium.

West Ham didn't build their stadium, they were in effect given it.

Huge difference.

Forget West Ham anyway - who cares about West Ham?

Maybe start benchmarking against Spurs - their new 62,000 stadium is looking fantastic.

Meis may be PR savvy, he may broadcast himself getting a llittle Everton tattoo an have a pint in the Winslow - but his firm should be under the same level of fan scrutiny as any other. It's too important.
How much have they spent so far
@Yid4life

How much have they spent so far
@Yid4life

Clearly, that is what it's going to boil down to. You say they will have done the sums - just like the original estimate of around £300m is now £500m+ - Just like Spurs 500m become 1bn - that's stadiums, through Meis himself:

"The cost of stadiums in general is becoming really crazy, and it’s largely driven around the proliferation of amenities to generate revenue in the buildings. Owners have a tendency to feel they need to find new ways for people to spend their money.

"Ten years ago I was designing NFL buildings for several hundred million dollars, and I thought that was a ton of money. Now they’re regularly over a billion".

But call a spade a spade.

If Everton had the means, the stadium would be 60,000, or as Meis earlier suggested - 61,878+

We don't, so it'll be 50,000+.

Say it as it is, rather than the Meis PR drive is continually highlighting West Ham as justification for a capacity less than fans had hoped/been encouraged to hope for.

Clearly, that is what it's going to boil down to. You say they will have done the sums - just like the original estimate of around £300m is now £500m+ - Just like Spurs 500m become 1bn - that's stadiums, through Meis himself:

"The cost of stadiums in general is becoming really crazy, and it’s largely driven around the proliferation of amenities to generate revenue in the buildings. Owners have a tendency to feel they need to find new ways for people to spend their money.

"Ten years ago I was designing NFL buildings for several hundred million dollars, and I thought that was a ton of money. Now they’re regularly over a billion".

If Everton had the means, the stadium would be 60,000, or as Meis earlier suggested - 61,878+

Say it as it is, rather than the Meis PR drive is continually highlighting West Ham as justification for a capacity less than fans had hoped/been encouraged to hope for.
The original Comm Games plan was 54k, dictated by cost time and footprint. Those 3 things still, up to a point, apply.

...Yeah we could've done you a bare bones concrete 61878, but all those extra seats cost, so nevermind your 61878s...marvel at the Archie Leitch criss crosses, the old Gwladys St square clock, history that...oh and theres now enough toilets for everybody.
They probably spring BPB out of his care centre to deliver this excuse.

You dont always get what you want, but you get what you need...and can fill and pay for.

Personally don’t think they should’ve been asking fans what capacity they wanted if the club knew they couldn’t deliver on it. Was just setting it up for people to be disappointed

The original Comm Games plan was 54k, dictated by cost time and footprint. Those 3 things still, up to a point, apply.

...Yeah we could've done you a bare bones concrete 61878, but all those extra seats cost, so nevermind your 61878s...marvel at the Archie Leitch criss crosses, the old Gwladys St square clock, history that...oh and theres now enough toilets for everybody.
They probably spring BPB out of his care centre to deliver this excuse.

You dont always get what you want, but you get what you need...and can fill and pay for.

Which is all well and good but my point is continually the PR effort on capacity to save face.

It's a question of resource and how that resource is best allocated, not about Meis/60,000 being too big for Everton because "look at West Ham"

Which is all well and good but my point is continually the PR effort on capacity to save face.

It's a question of resource and how that resource is best allocated, not about Meis/60,000 being too big for Everton because "look at West Ham"
Somebody, Meis? Moshiri? A N Other? All, have over promised, now they have to dodge the under deliver bit
Hence - at least were not west ham.

Personally don’t think they should’ve been asking fans what capacity they wanted if the club knew they couldn’t deliver on it. Was just setting it up for people to be disappointed

Agree. It was to allow manipulation/PR that followed. They actually said "99% want a capacity of over 50,000" - and that was it, no mention of any other bracket. Wonder why...

Would a safe standing sections in the new ground raise the capacity from say, 55'000 to possibly 61'000 ? Are the club taking that into account, because I believe Spurs new ground has provisions of safe standing built into it.

And they need to be called on it.

Instead of manipulating fans at every hurdle, be transparent.
Yeah right, that'll happen.
Many will be happy if they just build it...some will be amazed and happy.
The new stadium will soon cease to be new...only the debt will linger and we'll all be back soon enough moaning about the team and the manager.
Time will show if the capacity was too small, too big, or goldilocks just right
Just build the thing before Im too old to go.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back