New Everton Stadium

If the overall development and business potential of BMD is so great, with the stadium as its fulcrum, then why can we seemingly not get a sniff of commercial funding? Even through the credit facility with OCBC, who are in effect the state bank of China.

Moshiri isn't going to fund anything personally, so its Usmanov + council or bust for this it seems. Politically, ethically, and financially they would make for strange bedfellows. And if Usmanov is tempted with the returns on offer, they why not others?

I'm not one to sneeze at the complexity of getting funding but as an ordinary punter, I look at it in terms of having to pay for about 12 Gylfi Sigurdssons. Surely over a 30-40 year period even with interest, that is achievable?

My biggest concern is that the management and executive at Everton tasked with bringing this to fruition are not going to be up to the job. Harris inspires no confidence at all and Ryazantsev, whilst being an impressive talker, seems a bit wet behind the ears for a project of this magnitude, whilst DBB is new to her role.

I'm willing this to succeed, but I have to admit my gut feeling always runs contrary to that hope.
You need to think of it as a bank would think about it. Commercial lenders need to balance revenue with expense and its hard to find another counter instrument of similar duration, so unless they have guarantees that they can pawn off the investment or at least part of it immediately to say insurance firms or other entities with those types of portfolios, and this would be a lot of it, it’s not a super attractive investment from a risk reward profile. Smaller chunks of commercial financing are more likely and seat licenses and naming rights could help pay down the difference - where Usmanov comes in - but without final plans and a high degree of confidence that cost overruns won’t be exorbitant, it’s a lot of risk to take on. Council backing helps, though, but direct council funding is still the ideal.

If the overall development and business potential of BMD is so great, with the stadium as its fulcrum, then why can we seemingly not get a sniff of commercial funding? Even through the credit facility with OCBC, who are in effect the state bank of China.
Moshiri isn't going to fund anything personally, so its Usmanov + council or bust for this it seems. Politically, ethically, and financially they would make for strange bedfellows. And if Usmanov is tempted with the returns on offer, they why not others? I'm not one to sneeze at the complexity of getting funding but as an ordinary punter, I look at it in terms of having to pay for about 12 Gylfi Sigurdssons. Surely over a 30-40 year period even with interest, that is achievable?

My biggest concern is that the management and executive at Everton tasked with bringing this to fruition are not going to be up to the job. Harris inspires no confidence at all and Ryazantsev, whilst being an impressive talker, seems a bit wet behind the ears for a project of this magnitude, whilst DBB is new to her role.

I'm willing this to succeed, but I have to admit my gut feeling always runs contrary to that hope.
The interest Everton would pay is reasonable. The length of the loan would be onerous though as that loan agreement would effectively tie us in for 25 years to rigid conditions on what the club could do in terms of other borrowing and securities we have to have imposed on us....and it'd be a bugger to buy out the debt.

Downsize the project and get a mix of private-public investment and this might still be a goer. As it stands it wont get off the ground.

The interest Everton would pay is reasonable. The length of the loan would be onerous though as that loan agreement would effectively tie us in for 25 years to rigid conditions on what the club could do in terms of other borrowing and securities we have to have imposed on us....and it'd be a bugger to buy out the debt.

Downsize the project and get a mix of private-public investment and this might still be a goer. As it stands it wont get off the ground.
giphy.gif

Maybe the plan is not pay the loan off early
Maybe the plan is to ingratiate the club and it’s owners into the councils good books
Maybe there is a longer term plan in the pipeline
Maybe the stadium is not the endgame but a means to an endgame that needs the council onboard
Maybe the ego boost that comes with owning a top club in a new stadium in a prime location is just an added bonus.
Maybe buying The Liver building for no other reason than rubbing the RS noses in it , is not the actual reason
Maybe there was an applied logic in taking in partners to buy the Liver building
One thing I know for certain there is a very very small circle that knows what is going on and when it’ll happen and the rest of haven’t got a scooby do what’s going on , if anything is.
All we can do is speculate and naysay and hope that it happens
We all just have to watch the dots fall into their respective places and hope we are joining them up in the right order

Maybe the plan is to ingratiate the club and it’s ownrrs into the councils good books
Maybe the stadium is not the endgame but a means to an endgame that needs the council onboard
Maybe the ego boost that comes with owning a top club in a new stadium in a prime location is just an added bonus.
Maybe buying The Liver building for no other reason than rubbing the RS noses in it , is not the actual reason
Maybe there was an applied logic in taking in partners to buy the Liver building
One thing I know for certain there is a very very small circle that knows what is going on and when it’ll happen and the rest of haven’t got a scooby do what’s going on , if anything is.
We all just have to watch the dots fall into their respective places and hope we are joining them up in the right order
If you haven't got a pot to piss in it makes things very hard to do. Building stadiums also.

If you haven't got a pot to piss in it makes things very hard to do. Building stadiums also.
There again you are speculsting that we haven’t got a pot to piss in or won’t have a pot to piss in very soon.
You said this summer was austerity Everton. but we will possibly break or equal our transfer record with Rico and signed 5 other players on hefty wages
Granted we shifted a lot of wages off the books but it was by no means austerity Everton in any shape or form
You are just naysaying and speculating for the sake of it with no hard facts to back it up
You complained when the club ( Moshiri ) does it’s communication through SSN and you’re complaining we are not saying enough
The club ( ( Moshiri ) seems to have learned their lesson and will tell us something when there is something they CAN tell us without affecting their plans

I'm inclined to agree but I doubt if there is any Plan B on the table, at least in the medium-term.

If things were to officially go south on this though, I don't think we'll ever hear definitively, but I would expect they would fairly quickly latch onto another "project" as the disappointment would be just too great and they're never going to quash all hope.

The stakes are enormously high here which is why I think the only true test is time and what happens or doesn't happen over the next 6-12 months.

I still think that if this fails, then we are another 10 years away from re-opening this again, in any serious manner. The damage to the clubs reputation of yet another failed initiative would take quite something to get over.

Amongst all the hysteria that surrounds the whole saga, is the undeniable fact that people, local people, family members and so on are hard at work in the Blue Liver Building all involved with the project.
I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but surely all the expense involved in doing this is not part of a diversionary tactic.

Maybe the plan is to ingratiate the club and it’s owners into the councils good books
Stop this silliness now. Dave said it's doomed so it's doomed. What would any of us mere mortals know to say different.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back