New Everton Stadium

This makes me very worried that he'd even say that. The only time you would want to do that is if we were going for a 70k +. Not worth ripping off the roof, changing the whole aesthetic of the building for 5k extra. They should either get permission in future to build over the wastewater plant to expand the North stand in that case or bite the bullet and add 5 more rows around the top now so when safe standing does go to 1.3 they hit the 62k ish target.
Given there is currently (and no known sign of) any external funding for the project as it is - Moshiri funding it entirely to present - and with speculation that he's looking to sell the club, can you honestly see him/the club biting anything other than their fingernails ??

Kenwright may well be biting back the tears over Ferguson leaving but, probably not about the mess he has led and put the club into.

…regardless, I’ve always liked the Dock Wall and I hope it remains a feature of the city. Indeed, the brickwork and towers around that area, Titanic Hotel and warehouses look terrific. Be a shame if we lose them.

Somebody once thought it was a good idea to build a car park on The Cavern.
True.
LCC and / or given developers the nod to, over the years, knocked down more 'historic' buildings (both large and small) than the Luftwaffe could even dream of.

Given there is currently (and no known sign of) any external funding for the project as it is - Moshiri funding it entirely to present - and with speculation that he's looking to sell the club, can you honestly see him/the club biting anything other than their fingernails ??

Kenwright may well be biting back the tears over Ferguson leaving but, probably not about the mess he has led and put the club into.

I wouldn't be too concerned with the funding, question comes down to whether Usmanov wants to see his investment go down the drain. They either finish the stadium and recoup the money or they sell on for less with a commitment for the buyer to build stadium. If they stop the build due to lack of funds then the only buyers will be vultures looking to pick off the carcass as everyone will know we're up crap creek.

My point about expanding the North stand is one for the future after the stadium is built anyhow, as technically it can be done without removing the roof etc. rather than trying to build onto the west/east stand, making it far more costly and alter the clean look of the continuous roof we will have.

You can retain that by keeping both dock entrances with those three granite turrets.

Tell me, is there any comparable modern build of a stadium that has a massive wall in front of it?

It's not something that you'd ideally want, and what you're advocating (and what Meis conceptualised) is merely making the best of a poor situation. It looks to me from the early documents that it's an insistence of conservation bodies to keep it in place - yes it's Grade II listed, but they can be ungraded too.

Just out of interest Dave, what is your view of Mann Island on the waterfront?

Pretty much this...and maybe 50 yrs or so of wall as a reminder - especially the plaque with the name and date on
Exactly.

I cant see the fuss here.

How on earth can it be argued that a wall in front of our new stadium is preferable to it not being there? Dan Meis' conceptualisation of it "rising out of the docks like a wave above it" is pure polishing a turd territory.

He had to kow tow to the conservationist lobby and cast about for a way to sell it. If Meis had his way he'd have had no wall there other than the gate turrets. Which would be a very good way of a nod to the old use of the space but not get in the way of people viewing in full his design from all angles.

That's like asking me what I think of the colour blue.

What specifically are you asking me here?

Do you think that the most recent building on Mann island looks good, or out of place? Just that, I'm not a big fan and neither are many others (no idea what the majority is....). The reason I don't particularly like it is because it was seemingly designed without consideration for its surroundings.

Exactly.

I cant see the fuss here.

How on earth can it be argued that a wall in front of our new stadium is preferable to it not being there? Dan Meis' conceptualisation of it "rising out of the docks like a wave above it" is pure polishing a turd territory.

He had to kow tow to the conservationist lobby and cast about for a way to sell it. If Meis had his way he'd have had no wall there other than the gate turrets. Which would be a very good way of a nod to the old use of the space but not get in the way of people viewing in full his design from all angles.

if Meis was given full autonomy on his design and had absolutely nothing to consider from the surrounding area, then he'd likely have designed a completely different stadium altogether, not just remove a wall. That though is part of the skill of an Architect.

Do you think that the most recent building on Mann island looks good, or out of place? Just that, I'm not a big fan and neither are many others (no idea what the majority is....). The reason I don't particularly like it is because it was seemingly designed without consideration for its surroundings.
It's all in the eye of the beholder. I quite like it.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back