New Everton Stadium

Great viewing. Thanks again to the drone blokes.

Here's a couple of questions for the forum. Firstly, do we know how much longer the steels will be towards the pitch level? I think there's a bit to be added to the bottom so they are at their full length. Only then will we get the full idea of the full height of the north and south stands they are currently working on.

Secondly, do we know what the ground floor of, for example, the north stand will be used for? I think there is hospitality on level 1 and level 2. Is that the case for the ground floor, too?

Thanks
The lower steels are last in from the plans presumably to give greater access while lifting the roof.

As for the north stand I don't think there's any hospitality at all, the area will cater for the GA in that part of the ground.

Strange to wait over a full year to protest though, though I agree Health & Safety should be of paramount importance.
I’ve not long retired from construction and can tell you now that H & S has never been taken more seriously by the major players. Incidents cost fortunes irrespective of the consequences for those involved. Each of those lifts that we saw on yesterdays footage will have lift plans including exclusion zones and the involvement of only authorised personnel. The PTW systems on sites can be very onerous.

I’ve not long retired from construction and can tell you now that H & S has never been taken more seriously by the major players. Incidents cost fortunes irrespective of the consequences for those involved. Each of those lifts that we saw on yesterdays footage will have lift plans including exclusion zones and the involvement of only authorised personnel. The PTW systems on sites can be very onerous.

Wonder if they've heard, there is another major reconstruction going on at Anfield ? And if they have, :) why aren't they protesting there ? Just a thought.

1:20 in:

"Even we, having measured it and studied it so long, were concerned about 'is it really going to fit?'"

Vindication for the "the pitch isn't going to fit" cranks!

Brilliant Laings making the pitch smaller due to us having no strikers! Now that's what I call planning ahead... we will just have a pitch with one goal and attack that side the whole match. 38 x 0-0 = 38 pts and safety.

I'd be really interested to hear whether they have any evidence of blacklisting by LoR. Many of the industry major players used to do it and they'd share a list of people who had been particularly disruptive on their sites between themselves, particularly pertaining to union members and shop stewards. I would be quite surprised if they were doing it to any sort of effect now, as the potential for fines is huge.

As @TommyDavo said, the H&S on these sites, while not perfect, is an absolute world away from only a few decade ago. I remember being hauled up to the top of a 3 floor service riser by my feet as a prank 'cause I was an apprentice. On that same job, we were lifting in AHU's onto a scaffold framework to get them into the plantroom. These things were over 2 tonne in weight. We were stood on the scaffold with trolleys to push in into position and as they took its weight, the wheels went though the scaff boards and the whole structure started creaking. I absolutely bricked it. Got them in in the end though...

Doing the work I do now, I know of some contractors using CCTV cameras and computer vision to identify if people aren't wearing safety helmets on site, and using colour coded vests to understand if trades are in places they shouldn't be at certain times for safety purposes. Toolbox talks are regular, digital walkthroughs of sites showing time based risks prior to getting access.. Loads of stuff.

The lower steels are last in from the plans presumably to give greater access while lifting the roof.

As for the north stand I don't think there's any hospitality at all, the area will cater for the GA in that part of the ground.
There's a great photo of Dan Meis and Colin Chong on the podcast released today. They're at ground level somewhere where the pitch will be. One of the stands is in the background (not sure if it is the north or south) and you can clearly see there still a good way to go downwards for the steels. The stands are going to look huge compared to 3 sides of Goodison and the steepness is really going to make you feel like you're on top of the pitch.

On another note, they did say in the podcast that everything is right on schedule.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back