New Everton Stadium

While we are asking the engineers questions, does anyone know why this support is doubled up? Is it just a temporary measure to hold weight that will be removed once the roof is in?

View attachment 179504

@peteblue Not sure there is a reason for the fall on eth roof, probably just a design choice.
WRT the image above, it'll be a movement joint, effectively different structures to allow for expansion of the structure and potential for movement with different weather conditions.
Vibration is also a big thing, when you get large crowds of people that jump, stomp etc in sync, then it can create a wobble in the structure. A break i that structure will prevent the spread. There are some good examples on youtube.

@peteblue Not sure there is a reason for the fall on eth roof, probably just a design choice.
WRT the image above, it'll be a movement joint, effectively different structures to allow for expansion of the structure and potential for movement with different weather conditions.
Vibration is also a big thing, when you get large crowds of people that jump, stomp etc in sync, then it can create a wobble in the structure. A break i that structure will prevent the spread. There are some good examples on youtube.

I couldn't remember the name for it..... its resonance.

Frankfurt

Funny how you can see that happening in a German stadium and be all cool about how the engineering legislated for that.... but if you saw it in, I don't know, 'some other country' (so as not to offend anyone), it'd terrify you.
I went to see boca juniors vs River plate at la bombanera and the river plate fans were in the section above us bouncing like maniacs. The whole concourse above was lurching above and down. I thought I was gonna get squashed.

As an aside, Argentinian fans have better chants. I heard a continual 90 minute shanty in perfect harmony describing the opposition fans' sister's vagina

I went to see boca juniors vs River plate at la bombanera and the river plate fans were in the section above us bouncing like maniacs. The whole concourse above was lurching above and down. I thought I was gonna get squashed.

As an aside, Argentinian fans have better chants. I heard a continual 90 minute shanty in perfect harmony describing the opposition fans' sister's vagina
any pictures?

Christ that looks like a major disaster waiting to happen :eek:

Surprisingly, all of these calculations are built into the structural design and can be handled. All structures have a resonance, a 'rhythm' that once matched will create this effect. As part of structural design they will calculate the frequencies and tweak the structure around that to increase or decrease the frequency of the building. These are wrongly designed at times, and one of the most famous examples was the millenium bridge in London, which suffered due to the fact that its frequency matched nearly perfectly the rhythm of people walking. Once that little sway starts the public found themselves all matching each others strides as their bodies dealt with the movement, that exacerbated the effect.

Wind can also cause it, on bridges specifically, to quite horrifying outcomes.

Last edited:
Surprisingly, all of these calculations are built into the structural design and can be handled. All structures have a resonance, a 'rhythm' that once matched will create this effect. As part of structural design they will calculate the frequencies and tweak the structure around that to increase or decrease the frequency of the building. These are wrongly designed at time, and one of the most famous examples was the millenium bridge in London, which suffered due to the fact that its frequency matched nearly perfectly the rhythm of people walking. Once that little sway starts the public found themselves all matching each others strides as their bodys dealt with the movement, that exacerbated the effect.

Wind can also cause it, on bridges specifically, to quite horrifying outcomes.

FFS it's not even built yet, I don't want to hear about possible collapses. ?

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back