New Everton Stadium

Those 5 will never make the shortlist. No chance. I'd even rule out one of the two Manchester grounds because they wont have two stadiums in the one city catering to this event.

Everton's stadium will be nailed on. The city of Liverpool is the most successful football city in the country. It'd be unthinkable to have no games here.

Boss night oot as well.

Well its an issue that will be brought to GAA congress or central council and likely passed, we did it before back in the noughties when Rugby and Football where allowed to play their when Lansdowne Road was rebuilt. A testimonial for Liam Miller was also recently played in Pairc Ui Chaoimh. So should be grand unless its slap bang in the middle of GAA intercounty season.

Casement Park is a GAA ground to incidentally.
Ye I remeber there being talk of letting Liam Miller play there didn’t know weather it was ever played though that big stand theyv got there is boss is it called hill 16 miles or somthing

Yeah, but just dont let the English in there.

It was an incredible day, a real landmark moment in Irish Sport and so meaningful and historical now, a precedent in the healing of old wounds and empowering a spirit of reconciliation that has to be the way forward for the island.

We won 43-13 that day - we never likely would have if the game was played anywhere else, such was the occasion and meaning behind it.

I hope we have moved to place we can hear God Save the Queen in Croke Park and not blink, its the way forward. We won though! lol

Ye I remeber there being talk of letting Liam Miller play there didn’t know weather it was ever played though that big stand theyv got there is boss is it called hill 16 miles or somthing

Liam was from Cork and they have their GAA own stadium there, Pairc Ui Chaoimh where they wished his testimonial to be played mate :

1668608414866.png

The GAA allowed a testimonial game to be played there for his family after Liams death, there was a bit of a furore around it here as the decision took time and the GAA didnt take kindly to the pressure applied in the media. The GAA has strict rules and political structure so they just cant allow it and it had to be sanctionednted through central council votes - a meeting of representatives from all over the country, that's just the structure of the GAA.

Hill 16 is a huge terrace in Croke Park that's mostly the home end for Dublin GAA when they play and mixed when they dont, its alive and has a life of its own incredible atmosphere. Legend has it its built from the rubble of the bombing of Dublin by the British Army during the 1916 rising - hence Hill 16, but it is just a bit of a legend. All GAA grounds still have terracing here with no hassle really.

This is Hill 16 from behind the goal:

1668608866371.png

1668608909636.png

1668609022026.png

Apparently Villa and one of St James or Stadium of light will be in the final bid just to spread it geographically. If it's to be believed we are pooled in with both Manchester clubs and only 1 will be included. If that is the case I don't fancy our chances.

If we say one from each of the other nations from the British Isles and Wembley that leaves 5 others from England, Spurs is obvious, Newcastle and Villa get in by default.

Do you know where you read we'll be in the same pool as Manchester Stadia?

If so, that's a bit of a disgrace.

Those 5 will never make the shortlist. No chance. I'd even rule out one of the two Manchester grounds because they wont have two stadiums in the one city catering to this event.

Everton's stadium will be nailed on. The city of Liverpool is the most successful football city in the country. It'd be unthinkable to have no games here.
Yep, Old Trafford will miss out.

It's an absolute tip. I appreciate the Glazers have promised to do something. I'd expect it will be the equivalent of Kenwrights blue gravel.

I read it in the Telegraph. They have to drop 4 English grounds, so it will be one of Spurs/West Ham, one of SJP/SOL, and two of Mancs and BMD.

Just tried googling so thanks for that I'll take your word for it.

Fingers crossed then.

Pro's:

New stadium - excellent facilities
Good location: Dockside, City Central'ish, Area getting investment - should have improved and green transport links.
Fan zone - each stadium needs to have a near by fan zone, ours has one right outside the stadium.

Cons:

Capacity.... but I think they like having a few with lower capacity.

I think they'll go for city's due to capacity and investment in the area. Hopefully the new stadium and area for us will work in our favor. Fans will most likely have to fight over the home end though!

Liam was from Cork and they have their GAA own stadium there, Pairc Ui Chaoimh where they wished his testimonial to be played mate :

View attachment 191351

The GAA allowed a testimonial game to be played there for his family after Liams death, there was a bit of a furore around it here as the decision took time and the GAA didnt take kindly to the pressure applied in the media. The GAA has strict rules and political structure so they just cant allow it and it had to be sanctionednted through central council votes - a meeting of representatives from all over the country, that's just the structure of the GAA.

Hill 16 is a huge terrace in Croke Park that's mostly the home end for Dublin GAA when they play and mixed when they dont, its alive and has a life of its own incredible atmosphere. Legend has it its built from the rubble of the bombing of Dublin by the British Army during the 1916 rising - hence Hill 16, but it is just a bit of a legend. All GAA grounds still have terracing here with no hassle really.

This is Hill 16 from behind the goal:

View attachment 191352
View attachment 191353

View attachment 191354
Ye it looks massive the ground from the outside when you go past

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back