New Everton Stadium

Compared to the rest of what?
I'd imagine he means the other three sides without a slice taken off the back.

It's unarguable the ground would be 'better' if the northstand was full height.

A bit like the Park End now looks massively out of place, the North Stand has the same effect. (it's also why the Park Enders are filled with self loathing.)

April 11th 2014 this information came out... Can't believe it's been over 11 years and we're struggling to get the investment to build. It should have been built and paid off by USM who would have lost the name rights ... Etc now but we're trying to get MSP to chuck money in and get on the board... But that's to date hasn't happened because someone is clinging onto the door frame refusing let go.

Anyway ... Morning all

April 11th 2014 this information came out... Can't believe it's been over 11 years and we're struggling to get the investment to build. It should have been built and paid off by USM who would have lost the name rights ... Etc now but we're trying to get MSP to chuck money in and get on the board... But that's to date hasn't happened because someone is clinging onto the door frame refusing let go.

Anyway ... Morning all
Eh?

Just going to have a vent.

Is there anything to be gained at this point by harping on about what BMD is not and never will be? We all know it has limitations due to both the site footprint, conservation/planning trade-offs and affordability. We also all know there are pros and cons acoustically in the design concept. They cannot and will not be changed now.

Those who are worried or disappointed will remain so. Those who see more positives than negatives in the design will continue to do so. Nobody is shifting position on this right now mid-build without seeing even one game there. Reading the same debate on repeat feels like watching us get caught on the break yet again to lose at home to another relegation contender. There is no emotional or intellectual gain in the experience.

Surely by this stage in the build we can get past our regrets and pet peeves to focus on what it will be. Flawed? Of course. A compromise? Everything is. Our new home? Thankfully.

We won’t truly know how good or otherwise BMD Is until we are in there watching us concede on the break to another relegation struggler. Just how well will the groans carry? Will we be able to hear a Yank from MSP shouting “they’re sh!te these, get into them”? I cannot wait to find out!

In the meantime can this become the one thread on here where we get to celebrate visual progress and anticipate a new dawn in relatively complacent comfort, no matter how misguided? We are not short of things to moan about elsewhere! Every toffee needs a mental health spa right now. This should be it IMO.

Is there anything to be gained at this point by harping on about what BMD is not and never will be? We all know it has limitations due to both the site footprint, conservation/planning trade-offs and affordability. We also all know there are pros and cons acoustically in the design concept. They cannot and will not be changed now.

Those who are worried or disappointed will remain so. Those who see more positives than negatives in the design will continue to do so. Nobody is shifting position on this right now mid-build without seeing even one game there. Reading the same debate on repeat feels like watching us get caught on the break yet again to lose at home to another relegation contender. There is no emotional or intellectual gain in the experience.

Surely by this stage in the build we can get past our regrets and pet peeves to focus on what it will be. Flawed? Of course. A compromise? Everything is. Our new home? Thankfully.

We won’t truly know how good or otherwise BMD Is until we are in there watching us concede on the break to another relegation struggler. Just how well will the groans carry? Will we be able to hear a Yank from MSP shouting “they’re sh!te these, get into them”? I cannot wait to find out!

In the meantime can this become the one thread on here where we get to celebrate visual progress and anticipate a new dawn in relatively complacent comfort, no matter how misguided? We are not short of things to moan about elsewhere! Every toffee needs a mental health spa right now. This should be it IMO.

I agree.

I have a lot of reservations about it. However, this new stadium is 12-18 months away from completion. It's here and the positives need emphasising over any drawbacks and failure to meet expectations / ambitions of what it should be.

There's room for debate over what it should have been like. A balance needs to be struck.

This was my go to and Post Funny Stuff thread at times of dread and anxiety over team, it became a bit "tarnished" by all the negativity at times but i wholeheartedly agree, lets try and keep this a "Good News" thread until such times as other threads give us some joy.

even if you just pop in to watch the vids to see the progress, what is are pointless really as it will be what it will be and I for one, am absolutely loving the documenting, the learning in this thread, the visuals and being part of the history and future.

BMD UTFT

I thought at the time a Golden opportunity was missed when they built the Park end , they had the scope & the land to make it the biggest home end in the country.

That epitomises the inert nature of the football club while other clubs grew on and off the pitch Everton did little certainly did little to Goodison Park. The Park End was even paid for or part paid for by the Football Trust I think. Moving to a new ground became a necessity because of the failure by the club to develop/modernise Goodison. All symptomatic of the way the club was run.

I was part of a group who lobbied the Bestway guys about the loop site and also Peel over Liverpool waters before during and after the Destination Kirkby debacle.... stuff the club should've been doing years before and had no inclination nor clue about. I even spent quite a bit on an outline transport study for a stadium on or near Clarence Dock after a conversation with Peel and city planners. So I am as invested in and excited about BMD as the next blue.

That doesn't mean that people should have blind faith in everything and not mention any reservations or concerns that they might have about certain aspects of the project. We don't have to be head in the sand propagandists or happy clappers.... look what that approach did for many blues over BK and his friends?

We're talking about an organisation where the general decision-making has been horrendous for decades and the scattergun spending has driven us right up to the edge in recent times. The financial model has been vague from the start and is now in its umpteenth addlibed revision, with the club in turmoil.... BMD doesnt entirely exist in a bubble separate to that.... and may well be part cause of that precarious profit and sustainability position already, if not soon.

Positivity or negativity has nothing what so ever to do with it....

That epitomises the inert nature of the football club while other clubs grew on and off the pitch Everton did little certainly did little to Goodison Park. The Park End was even paid for or part paid for by the Football Trust I think. Moving to a new ground became a necessity because of the failure by the club to develop/modernise Goodison. All symptomatic of the way the club was run.

Goodison Park was the stadium that required the least done to to be fully compliant with the Taylor Report and still yield 40k capacity....

So as usual, the club simply did the bare minimum instead of taking full advantage of the opportunities that GP presented. Other clubs raised there game invested and adapted, while we managed decline while chasing freebies.

I agree that the North Stand would have been better at full height but if you imagine the lower terracing installed, it still looks pretty good
Screenshot_20230619_192937_YouTube.webp

Very well said indeed.
We can all have a good moan when we are in the relegation zone next season. That should be enough.

This is gonna be the best stadium in the Premier League when it's finished.

And if that makes you chuckle, fair enough, but name a current Premier League stadium that is better than this will be... I'll swat you down. (Spurs is closest but our location and external design overrules their bigger bowl and upward filling pints).

Heck and damnation, you can't judge it from blocky artist impressions and distant drone videos! Especially when the terracing hasn't even been brought down to ground level yet. When you're sat in that ACTUAL seat in the ACTUAL stadium, you'll all be looking round slack jawed and thinking...

'Wow. Best stadium in Premier League.'

This is gonna be the best stadium in the Premier League when it's finished.

And if that makes you chuckle, fair enough, but name a current Premier League stadium that is better than this will be... I'll swat you down. (Spurs is closest but our location and external design overrules their bigger bowl and upward filling pints).

Heck and damnation, you can't judge it from blocky artist impressions and distant drone videos! Especially when the terracing hasn't even been brought down to ground level yet. When you're sat in that ACTUAL seat in the ACTUAL stadium, you'll all be looking round slack jawed and thinking...

'Wow. Best stadium in Premier League.'
I genuinely think it will be the best in the league, too.

Exactly as you say, Spurs’ may be bigger and have more facilities, but externally it’s a bit of a dud. It looks tennis court with cheap cladding.

Our ground is architecturally compelling, in a spectacular location.

Pound for pound, the best ground in the country.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back