New Everton Stadium

When the plans were first released I seem to remember a few people were skeptical about the brick cladding, believing it to be old fashioned and incongruous with the modern design of the rest of the stadium. Seeing it now with the Tobacco Warehouse in the background, it looks magnificent.

Screenshot_20230620_204806_Chrome.webp

When the plans were first released I seem to remember a few people were skeptical about the brick cladding, believing it to be old fashioned and incongruous with the modern design of the rest of the stadium. Seeing it now with the Tobacco Warehouse in the background, it looks magnificent.

View attachment 214694
Agreed ! I think it looks brilliant

When I go and take my dad, I tend to go down Scotty, down Leeds Street to Dock Road and approach from Town. I went for the first time in a couple of months a few days ago, went Westminster, Lambeth, not sure why the next road, but the angle of approach there was superb, quite surprising actually. It is was the first time, that you got the sense it was going to be a major, major stadium - it had that look about it.

Just going to have a vent.

Is there anything to be gained at this point by harping on about what BMD is not and never will be? We all know it has limitations due to both the site footprint, conservation/planning trade-offs and affordability. We also all know there are pros and cons acoustically in the design concept. They cannot and will not be changed now.

Those who are worried or disappointed will remain so. Those who see more positives than negatives in the design will continue to do so. Nobody is shifting position on this right now mid-build without seeing even one game there. Reading the same debate on repeat feels like watching us get caught on the break yet again to lose at home to another relegation contender. There is no emotional or intellectual gain in the experience.

Surely by this stage in the build we can get past our regrets and pet peeves to focus on what it will be. Flawed? Of course. A compromise? Everything is. Our new home? Thankfully.

We won’t truly know how good or otherwise BMD Is until we are in there watching us concede on the break to another relegation struggler. Just how well will the groans carry? Will we be able to hear a Yank from MSP shouting “they’re sh!te these, get into them”? I cannot wait to find out!

In the meantime can this become the one thread on here where we get to celebrate visual progress and anticipate a new dawn in relatively complacent comfort, no matter how misguided? We are not short of things to moan about elsewhere! Every toffee needs a mental health spa right now. This should be it IMO.
I get what you're saying but is there anything to be gained in redeveloping Goodison??

Runs for the hills

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back