New Everton Stadium

Started to watch a stadium video, lost interest after about a minute, really lost all enthusiasm for a new stadium when we are threatened by relegation season after season, same again this season....

The trolls are right aren`t they! We will go in to that stadium as a Championship club.... every season is worse than the one before so this season we will drop.

The fans don`t deserve it but the club itself 1000% does for the mismanagement over years.
iv been like that for ages i just see it now as a burden that’s stopping us from gettin sold

Alot of Evertonians will see this stadium as the silver bullet...

All of a sudden we will have cash to spend, it`s not going to be like that!
Sadly you are probably right, the idea that all of the sudden it will be done so they can turn on the taps is incredibly likely. Moshiri isnt going to start spending when the stadium is built, hes pocketing the money. Now on the plus side having the stadium built DOES mean we can put out a better squad because extra receipts and sponsorships allows another player each season. But I think whether we have a silver bullet will be based on who he sells to next year. If its a tight investment firm, they will tighten the purse strings and the stadium will only be marginally beneficial. If the nice stadium convinces a rich and WISE owner(impossible since then they wouldnt choose Everton) to buy then the tap will get turned on.

So, once you exclude hitting the jackpot with an oil state, what's the best-case scenario for Everton?

Owners that do enough to keep us safely in the league but no more?

So, once you exclude hitting the jackpot with an oil state, what's the best-case scenario for Everton?

Owners that do enough to keep us safely in the league but no more?
Our position is recoverable. It's not great but it can be fixed (slowly) without state ownership.

It's a cliche but let football people handle the football, and get people with genuine commercial nous in position to run the business.

The business side shouldn't have to hamper the football side by selling players to pay the bills.

We're suffering because we're weak commercially and spent like a drunken sailor. Dishing out massive contracts to players who wouldn't normally be attracted to Everton was a ridiculous strategy. I'm not sure what our current wages/turnover ratio is but its still going to be far too high.

Get that ratio down to about 70%, any surplus goes to servicing the debt and identifying and buying (and selling) young talent.

We're not winning anything for years, might aswel view it as a year zero restart.

Not sure I agree with that. Goodison is so limiting. It was a problem that was always going to need to be tackled.
i know but it was ridiculous to start to build it with out the financing already in place , even if we’d waited until we where at least a good team maybe financing would have been easier to get , this is all hindsight like i was made up when it started to get built it’s just what i feel it’s turned into now

i know but it was ridiculous to start to build it with out the financing already in place , even if we’d waited until we where at least a good team maybe financing would have been easier to get , this is all hindsight like i was made up when it started to get built it’s just what i feel it’s turned into now
Clearly it was commenced with the finance coming from usmanov

Not sure I agree with that. Goodison is so limiting. It was a problem that was always going to need to be tackled.

Yes, but that doesn't mean that the business case for BMD was strong (or even sustainable) as has been shown.

When Arsenal and Spurs were putting their stadium proposals together, they clearly demonstrated viability with their projections for increased incomes covering the cost of the loans, principally via much increased corporate offers. As a consequence, those clubs had no real problems raising the required finances. They had 150 and 80 boxes and high-capacity, high-end executive/corporate in whole dedicated tiers, versus our 20ish boxes and mainly corporate-lite in shared tiers.

Our model was always far more speculative and sugar-daddy-loaded. Initially, the owner was only supposed to be funding site acquisition, planning and initial construction phases, with the club seeking finance for the balance to complete it. Our sponsor was then going to help cover those loans via a lucrative naming rights deal. All seemingly plausible, until people started applying the actual numbers. At no point was the club able to demonstrate viability to the banks to secure the finances and that initial plan didn't even get over the first hurdle. However, the club was still in "money-no-object" mode, and pushed on regardless in the hope that at least starting it would convince lenders. It didn't! Moshiri has had to cover it all, up to recently. In the meantime costs have spiraled by 50% (if you believe Moshiri) and the sponsor is no more. Our previously parlous financials have only worsened (possibly due to the stadium) and the club is completely financially hamstrung, on and off the pitch. Moshiri now appears desperate to sell ASAP. He is in loss-cutting mode and has even had to go cap-in-hand to any would be (potentially shark) investors to partially plug the funding gap and to try to help meet the lenders risk requirements, to finally secure those loans (that will be loaded onto the club) to get the stadium built. Even that seems to have backfired due to the nature of other outstanding loans.

Unfortunately, this is where we could enter that rocky territory where the owner's and club's wishes become divergent. His hope now is that the stadium will boost the value of the club sufficiently enough for him to recoup as much of his money as possible. Our hopes are that any subsequent debts are not loaded onto the club and its new owners going forward, and that those new owners represent the best option for us and not necessarily just those of someone desperate to sell.

None of which was mentioned in the brochure!

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back