New Everton Stadium

Yes, other things have certainly contrived against us.... but as others have said, much of it predates the current economics. The initial failed attempt at securing finance was before anything was built. Many of the subsequent on-going attempts were also long before the Russian invasion, which was 18 months ago, and before any steel had been erected.... so we committed hundreds of millions in full knowledge of the circumstances you're referring to.

It's not a bias at all, it's the view held by most of the larger clubs, based on the same basic economic principles of affordability you alluded to yourself. You asked if I thought they should "do nothing".... my simple reply was no, they had the same options as most of these other clubs. They simply chose the expensive one. Of course, that's perfectly fine as long as the owner's intentions are at least medium term and it's financially viable, or if they're prepared to foot the entire bill and absorb the risk if that viability is at all questionable or economically fragile. Otherwise, they've essentially gambled with our club's whole future!
How many times did DBB say to the press that we were 'really close' to securing funding? It felt like every 2 to 3 months and not once was she seriously challenged on it.

Much like her "Not only are hoping for Champions League football, we're activity planning for it."

None of them sat around that top table had the first idea of what they we doing.

We've been bombarded online here in Melbourne with a big, glossy ad' selling Liverpool as great tourist spot.

LFC are all over the front page and there are even references to just going there, never mind the stadium tour, and something about abseiling, whatever that is, but absolutely nothing about Everton FC. I did a random search for Liverpool visits and it was more of the same.

There was even a long list of sites connected to sport, and again, LFC everywhere , but not a mention of Everton.
I might be on my own here, but I'm hardly surprised and, truth be told, I'm not really bothered. We just aren't a tourist club and never will be. I'm just looking forward to the new stadium, and hoping for a new start with new ownership

Everton Football Club have a sub-lease of the property. So the lease is Everton Stadium Development(owned by the club), and then there is a sub-lease by the club itself.

Ive seen nothing on public record that says the subsidiary can be sold by Everton without a breach, if theres some way you can figure out for them to legally pull that off by all means share.
Without a breach of what? The lease agreement?

This is a genuine question - why wouldn't that be permissible as a matter of course? Peel won't be worried about their peppercorn rent not being paid - and the ownership of the stadium wouldn't concern them if Everton are still playing there.

Why would they care if ownership changed? You seem to think that's some colossal obstacle that can't be overcome, but leasehold properties are sold every day.

How many times did DBB say to the press that we were 'really close' to securing funding? It felt like every 2 to 3 months and not once was she seriously challenged on it.

Much like her "Not only are hoping for Champions League football, we're activity planning for it."

None of them sat around that top table had the first idea of what they we doing.

Precisely. They've been a bit like one of those lotto winners who blew the lot with wild extravagance and then one day woke-up bankrupt and back in their £10/hr job, wondering where they went wrong.

Talking of the Ukraine War, if it had started just a few months before we would not have even got to filling the dock in.
I feel like we'll look back at the timing of the war and the severing of Usmanov links as either just in time - or just too late.

If we hadn't started the build, we wouldn't be getting a new stadium. But since we did, we're saddled with a colossal debt in the short term.

At the moment, I'm feeling more of the worry from the latter, but I'm optimistic that we can work our way, under new ownership, towards a better future than if we'd remained at Goodison.

I feel like we'll look back at the timing of the war and the severing of Usmanov links as either just in time - or just too late.

If we hadn't started the build, we wouldn't be getting a new stadium. But since we did, we're saddled with a colossal debt in the short term.

At the moment, I'm feeling more of the worry from the latter, but I'm optimistic that we can work our way, under new ownership, towards a better future than if we'd remained at Goodison.

Yeah, I guess that's what I meant. I'm glass half full, personally. I think it will get finished and will lead to a takeover in some shape or form by people who see the potential of EFC. Let's hope the stadium directly leads to us finally seeing the back of Kenwright.

Yes, other things have certainly contrived against us.... but as others have said, much of it predates the current economics. The initial failed attempt at securing finance was before anything was built. Many of the subsequent on-going attempts were also long before the Russian invasion, which was 18 months ago, and before any steel had been erected.... so we committed hundreds of millions in full knowledge of the circumstances you're referring to.

You're making the assumption that they hadn't agreed a deal in principle for the amount of finance they expected to need. Moshiri was pillard for not forking out the cash himself but when he does to start the build people lose their minds that we are not aware of which institution is actually going to finance the last bit. Of course it wasn’t for the whole amount fixed over a longer term so in that case you could say it was a fail, but it might not be the finger in the wind and hope for the best that you are making it out to be either.

We'd also pumped in tens of millions into the project before the war and all of that would have been wasted. If you wait for the perfect time to build a stadium it might never happen. The club believed they could get over the line so they continued, if they thought it was more likely to fail than succeed they would have canned it.

If when the final tranche to Laing is due the club roll out the details that it has been paid by x bank will you admit to being too harsh on them? And if they appear to be scrambling around trying to borrow here, there and everywhere to get it done I'll admit I was wrong and you were right.

It's not a bias at all, it's the view held by most of the larger clubs, based on the same basic economic principles of affordability you alluded to yourself. You asked if I thought they should "do nothing".... my simple reply was no, they had the same options as most of these other clubs. They simply chose the expensive one. Of course, that's perfectly fine as long as the owner's intentions are at least medium term and it's financially viable, or if they're prepared to foot the entire bill and absorb the risk if that viability is at all questionable or economically fragile. Otherwise, they've essentially gambled with our club's whole future!

If Goodison was developed correctly in the 80/90's they would have probably stayed. They would have needed to have had a two tier PE and perhaps a cantilevered roof for the GS and BR, that would have at least got the capacity to mid 40's and most of the ground would have unrestricted views. At the same time they would have had to have started buying up most of the property around the ground that could then limited the expenses and problems when it came to redevelopment. Even so there would be still less space around a new Goodison than almost any other ground you can name. limited space means you don't get the fan plaza that can help pull in customers.

I've also said this to you before you aren't going to immediately bring loads of new people to Goodison especially the ones who would fork out most money. Look at the beautiful views out of our new Main Stand restaurant over victorian terraces etc. etc... For the amount you would pay to rebuild the stadium the extra 20k you've created would be nullified by the amount you are paying to cover the loans to do so. No increase in income and not really much added to the value of the club. The 53k at BM will earn more than 60k at Goodison.

To build anything naturally stretches the pockets of football clubs, you sometimes have to speculate to accumulate.

iirc, he put in the first £100M for the sand and stuff to start it off

Can he finish it is the key question...with a supplementary question of - When.

He didn’t put a penny in. He bought shares in the club and that’s as far as any money out of his pocket has gone. Usmanov has bankrolled all of our transfer activity, stadium build, everything.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back