New Everton Stadium

Having watched the recent video of the stadium I think it looks amazing. One thing I would point out though is that the facade to the West stand to me far outshines the East stand which is a pity as for most of us most of the time the East stand is what we will see

Think its just a moment in time myself mate and will look just as good when developed, of all the stands the east stand is the most underdeveloped at the moment, i presume because its the access point.

I’m actually not much of a fan of the Western aspect. I think the stepped plaza - although an interesting feature I’ll enjoy wandering up and down - is a bit utilitarian and at odds with the rest of the design. Just a concrete mass.
The structure might be concrete but it's not going to be finished like that. Will be clad in high quality granite paving and brick cladding like the rest of the site.

The stadium looks great from all angles in my opinion. Each side is distinctive.

I’m actually not much of a fan of the Western aspect. I think the stepped plaza - although an interesting feature I’ll enjoy wandering up and down - is a bit utilitarian and at odds with the rest of the design. Just a concrete mass.
There was a video posted a number of pages back saying the reason it was added was because the design of the building could create a sort of wind tunnel.

Everton Stadium: Liverpool's Fourth Grace.

Anfield Stadium: Liverpool's Disgrace

The club really need to keep pushing on that Fourth Grace angle...just for maximum wind up value alone.

Yeah, we need to do more. Let's fly an EFC flag from the Liver Building when we are home and light it up in blue for a night game. That would get on their nerves.

The structure might be concrete but it's not going to be finished like that. Will be clad in high quality granite paving and brick cladding like the rest of the site.

The stadium looks great from all angles in my opinion. Each side is distinctive.

Good point. Never really appreciated how distinctive each side of the stadium will be.

It’s not brick clad, that’s for sure.

West-Stand-central-view.jpg

The renders make it look like it’s bare concrete. Let’s hope it is granite, but I’m not convinced.

Honestly, I hope you’re right and I’m wrong.

There was a video posted a number of pages back saying the reason it was added was because the design of the building could create a sort of wind tunnel.
Actually, I’m pretty sure I commented on the video you’re talking about to say he was analysing the old design, before the stepped plaza was added. He was saying the car park at that end helped mitigate wind issues - but the car park has gone.

Actually, I’m pretty sure I commented on the video you’re talking about to say he was analysing the old design, before the stepped plaza was added. He was saying the car park at that end helped mitigate wind issues - but the car park has gone.
Yeah they were talking about the old design, I probably just assumed at the time that was why the steps were added. So could be completely wrong, think they look quite interesting anyway.

It’s not brick clad, that’s for sure.

West-Stand-central-view.jpg

The renders make it look like it’s bare concrete. Let’s hope it is granite, but I’m not convinced.

Honestly, I hope you’re right and I’m wrong.

The end wing walls are brick clad. I think the vomitories will be exposed concrete, like inside the ground. The upper and lower paved areas are definitely granite. The steps i'm not so sure about, can't find anything on the materiality.

I'd be surprised if they were also exposed concrete and not clad with granite. That being said, they may be going for a simple look to reflect the terracing inside the stadium. Hope not as it might cheapen the whole thing!

Capture2.webp

Yes, that’s precisely my worry. I don’t want it to look like a block of leftover terracing, but that’s what the renders look like to me.

As I say, I hope you’re right.
I think you might be right. I don't think Meis had anything to do with the design of this aspect of the stadium and it shows.
Looks like something put together by engineers, not architects.

I think you might be right. I don't think Meis had anything to do with the design of this aspect of the stadium and it shows.
Looks like something put together by engineers, not architects.
Yes, that’s exactly it. I don’t think it fits.

I even asked Meis if he’d have a look at improving it when he came back onto the project… unsurprisingly no response, though!

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back