New Everton Stadium

Not sure how many corporates would expect to get wet inside a new stadium, even at NFL games. They are usually set back, elevated and well-covered. It is probably the reason so many corporate seats are often empty at Wembley's half-way line.

Standing in the rain for a couple of hrs isn't great. Lots of old pics of the Gwladys St front section, the old Goodison Rd Enclosure (pre 1970s) and Paddock (pre-60s) deserted during a heavy downfall, as everyone crushed under the stands. However, sitting in the rain is abysmal and at £750m, shouldn't really be happening. Going the match shouldn't be an endurance test (Or at least no more than it already is watching us). Certainly not at the ticket prices.

This has been a recurring theme at many new grounds/stands due to the much higher rooflines, particularly with upturned roof profiles. Ponchos are offered at several. At the height of BMD's roof, these should have been at least extended to be directly above the touch/goal lines.... preferably even further infield. There is no interference with play at those heights, and natural light levels can also be maintained.

Bilbao were forced into addressing the issue at their waterfront stadium when fans in the lower tier regularly left ther seats en masse during downpours. Be interesting to see how the well-healed occupants of the West stand lower react.
I've always found this strange too. It's pretty clear from other examples that the front 5-10 rows often aren't really protected from the rain, so why only bring the roof to the front of the stand?

If I could ask Dan Meis two questions, that would be the first. The second would be to ask the reason why the upper concourse on the south stand reduced to a pretty low height at by the windows. Surely this reduces the impact and benefit of the views for people inside and the view is meant to be one of the big 'selling points'.

Just quoting what he said on the video. Not sure what he meant by soon. No idea where he got his information from, that's why I asked. Does such an event take place? Not talking about a soft opening with 15,000 etc but just a full blown, evacuation with 50,000?

Yeah, there was an email which asked if people would sign up to help with testing dispersal. About 14 months ago, I think.

On a stadium related topic, is it just me or is anybody else curious to know what the camera angle will be like at the new place? Looking at some of the camera positions at the stadiums in Germany for the current Euros, I realise some of them I just don't like. Just too far from the pitch and too low down, a bit like the new Wembley. As behind the times as GP is, one thing I love about the place is the camera angle. Right on the touchline (well close enough) and at just the right height.
I think the main camera position at the front on the upper tier, just above the hospitality. Given the steep tiers and relative closeness to the pitch I think you shouldn't need to worry.

Just quoting what he said on the video. Not sure what he meant by soon. No idea where he got his information from, that's why I asked. Does such an event take place? Not talking about a soft opening with 15,000 etc but just a full blown, evacuation with 50,000?
I would guess that several test events /evacuations would take place with numbers increasing over time. The City Council would be involved as they will issue safety certificates.

I've always found this strange too. It's pretty clear from other examples that the front 5-10 rows often aren't really protected from the rain, so why only bring the roof to the front of the stand?

If I could ask Dan Meis two questions, that would be the first. The second would be to ask the reason why the upper concourse on the south stand reduced to a pretty low height at by the windows. Surely this reduces the impact and benefit of the views for people inside and the view is meant to be one of the big 'selling points'.

I think the south upper tier concourse has a reduced internal roof line to stop the concourse becoming a green house with its large south-facing glass wall. I walked through it on my visit and don't think the views of the city centre were restricted by the low-ceiling.

Yeah, there was an email which asked if people would sign up to help with testing dispersal. About 14 months ago, I think.

Was there? I might have got that and volunteered, I can't remember. I guess any chance to look at the new stadium close up would be too good to turn down. Personally, I'd volunteer to be the first to test clean the toilets.

Last edited:
I fully expect one end of the ground to subside back into the dock at 40k. Everything is running far too smoothly for this club.

Not really, it's difficult to do. They will monitor access and egress over a number events of differing size. They're not going to just chuck 50k people in and cross their fingers they all get out safely.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back