• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Newcastle Utd (and Viz)

I still can`t get my head round why Bruce ever took the job.

He had a good gig at Sheff Weds, the fans liked him, he got on with the chairman and all he had to do was keep them in the Championship every season.

I know he`s from the North East and all that, but Ashley has never hid his intentions for Newcastle, the fans didn`t want him, after Saint Benitez jumped ship and he must`ve know the first sign of things going belly up, that the fans would be wanting him gone.
Drive through Greggs

Barcodes still hoping the Saudi's are coming back for them.

Hilarious.

The takeover is blatantly a blag. No funds were ever shown and Staveley was shown to be full of lies in a trial.

I suspect Ashley keeps rolling it out now just to deflect anger. The concern I would have for them, is if he sells now, it will be to an asset stripping type owner. I think we will a lot more of that in football soon (unfortunately).

The takeover is blatantly a blag. No funds were ever shown and Staveley was shown to be full of lies in a trial.

I suspect Ashley keeps rolling it out now just to deflect anger. The concern I would have for them, is if he sells now, it will be to an asset stripping type owner. I think we will a lot more of that in football soon (unfortunately).

Not sure where you're getting your info; a deposit was paid. Ashley's company even loaned PCP Capital Partners (Amanda Staveley), £150million to cement commitment to the deal on all sides.

Document supporting this submitted to Companies House doc from 9th April 2020: https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/OC311146/filing-history

(For anyone interested): The only reason this takeover didn't happen was because the Premier League didn't make a decision regarding the application of its Owners & Directors Test. Apparently they weren't satisfied that the Saudi element of the consortium (its Public Investment Fund) was a separate entity to the Saudi state itself, and were therefore waiting for that proof to emerge before making a decision. I.e. "prove to us that PIF and the state are separate, otherwise we assume it isn't, and therefore the whole lot needs to go through the O&D - so go and fetch all your princes!" Naturally the Saudis weren't up for that and the consortium claimed that the proof of separation had been delivered to the PL as requested. Stalemate. And now we're waiting for arbitration in 2022 to break the logjam.

There's a lot of debate and frustration around our parts - as you'd imagine - about the PL's reasoning and conduct in the whole thing. Plenty of suggestions that they absolutely could have made a decision on this, but refused to: A, because they'd been lobbied by the Super League chums, who didn't fancy the apple cart being rocked by a super-rich NUFC. And B, because of the lingering issues around Saudi piracy and the PL's partnership with BeIn Sports, which just so happens to be Qatar-based, and therefore at loggerheads with Saudi Arabia. So there's your dash of geopolitics to slosh around with the usual depressing tonic of anti-competitiveness poured in by 'the big six' and their American administrations. Human rights didn't come into it but the noise around it made for a canny soundtrack to one side's PR game...

Whether the Saudis are still waiting in the wings isn't really known at this point; Staveley claimed in July that they were, so I guess they are. I'm still optimistic that we're close to the end of the Ashley era, but if a time-traveller told me he was still here in five/ten years time, I wouldn't fall off my chair.

Not sure where you're getting your info; a deposit was paid. Ashley's company even loaned PCP Capital Partners (Amanda Staveley), £150million to cement commitment to the deal on all sides.

Document supporting this submitted to Companies House doc from 9th April 2020: https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/OC311146/filing-history

(For anyone interested): The only reason this takeover didn't happen was because the Premier League didn't make a decision regarding the application of its Owners & Directors Test. Apparently they weren't satisfied that the Saudi element of the consortium (its Public Investment Fund) was a separate entity to the Saudi state itself, and were therefore waiting for that proof to emerge before making a decision. I.e. "prove to us that PIF and the state are separate, otherwise we assume it isn't, and therefore the whole lot needs to go through the O&D - so go and fetch all your princes!" Naturally the Saudis weren't up for that and the consortium claimed that the proof of separation had been delivered to the PL as requested. Stalemate. And now we're waiting for arbitration in 2022 to break the logjam.

There's a lot of debate and frustration around our parts - as you'd imagine - about the PL's reasoning and conduct in the whole thing. Plenty of suggestions that they absolutely could have made a decision on this, but refused to: A, because they'd been lobbied by the Super League chums, who didn't fancy the apple cart being rocked by a super-rich NUFC. And B, because of the lingering issues around Saudi piracy and the PL's partnership with BeIn Sports, which just so happens to be Qatar-based, and therefore at loggerheads with Saudi Arabia. So there's your dash of geopolitics to slosh around with the usual depressing tonic of anti-competitiveness poured in by 'the big six' and their American administrations. Human rights didn't come into it but the noise around it made for a canny soundtrack to one side's PR game...

Whether the Saudis are still waiting in the wings isn't really known at this point; Staveley claimed in July that they were, so I guess they are. I'm still optimistic that we're close to the end of the Ashley era, but if a time-traveller told me he was still here in five/ten years time, I wouldn't fall off my chair.

Theres a whole heap of supposition there I'm afraid.

What we actually know.

1) Funds were raised, but were borrowed from Mike Ashley. He waited for evidence of more funds, which were not forthcoming.
2) The PL evaluated the case. They did not reject the bid. They should have done, as the Saudis have an appalling record on human rights. It's to their shame they didnt.
3) Unpromted the bidders pulled out.
4) In a court of law, Staveley was shown o be a fantasist and liar, and a bit of a joke figure.
5) FSG met the same people, and didnt entertain talks, as they said they were scammers.

With the nicest will.in the world mate, I remember saying all of this to your lot who came on here giving it the biggun 2 years ago. That they were signing Richarlison and Mbappe and Ronaldo, and Benitez was coming back (hows that going for you lol?). I told them it woildnt happen and it would break down, largely as no money had been shown and it was clearly nothing like the proposal that was being suggested. They all came back with the exact sort of nonsense you posted above, and ultimately evidence has firmly proven one side correct.

The only thing that has changed, is a precedent has now been established, that if an owner from a country with a horrendous human rights record is interested moving forward, they will now not be accepted. Overall that has to be a positive.

As for where I got my info, to actually prove this correct- well I avoid reading propaganda pieces from certain NUFC/Mike Ashley sources, and just read the actual evidence as objectively as possible. I also read the court documents. Once you do that, you realise Staveley has bo credibility and doesnt know wealthy Arabic individuals in the manner she says, and that no takeover would happen last summer or this summer.

I wish you well getting rid of Ashley, but like with Burnley your best bet will probably be with a leveraged buy out. I cant see any takeover happening if you go down though, which seems a matter of time for a club like Newcastle.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back