• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Newcastle Utd (and Viz)

@catcherintherye I'm not gonna sit here and claim that I know to an absolute certainty the ins and outs of the structured deal and/or Amanda Staveley's credentials. But funds were transferred, a deposit was paid, and Ashley loaned £150m to the buying party as a demonstration of commitment to the sale (he would get it back immediately, of course). They have also engaged sports lawyers who will be on God-knows-what an hour to guide them through the arbitration process, which has already begun and then recommences in January. Meanwhile the case is concurrently being considered by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (or at least it hopes to; there is a jurisdiction hearing on the 29th of September to determine whether or not Newcastle's case against the PL can actually be heard in that particular court). This is all fact.

That's an awful lot of time and money spent on some intricate ruse. Why would Staveley and the Reuben's et al be interested in that sort of charade, not to mention the bigwigs at the Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia? Or if Staveley was a timewaster, why wouldn't Ashley say so, as he did when she first came to the table with another deal (which obviously didn't carry water) in 2017?

Re your point (2). I know, agreed; that's what I said.

Re point (3) They pulled out in the last week of July after the Premier League made no decision after 15 or so weeks of supposed tussling over evidence regarding the separation of PIF from the Saudi state.

Re point (3) again; human rights sadly had absolutely nothing to do with it. There's a chance it may have had something to do with it at some point in the process, had the Saudi state been put through the O&D Test, but it wasn't. Possibly one reason why they were so anxious to prove separation between it and PIF.

None of this has come from bias sources or Ashley cronies; these are accepted accounts of what happened. Unless the likes of Matt Slater at the Athletic (to name one of many examples) are in on it as well.

As for the rubbish about Mbappe etc. That was always a total cringe and I didn't subscribe to any of it. Re Rafael, I wanted him back of course, and given his comments at the start of the season ("we thought something would happen, it didn't, and that's it") - he was interested. Unless he was duped by it all as well.

I have absolutely no affection for any member of the consortium; no reason to fight their corner or argue in their favour. They ultimately mean absolutely nothing to NUFC and, clearly, have fundamental issues which may never successfully traverse the Premier League's tests. So hopefully you see all this as a fairly unbiased take.

@catcherintherye I'm not gonna sit here and claim that I know to an absolute certainty the ins and outs of the structured deal and/or Amanda Staveley's credentials. But funds were transferred, a deposit was paid, and Ashley loaned £150m to the buying party as a demonstration of commitment to the sale (he would get it back immediately, of course). They have also engaged sports lawyers who will be on God-knows-what an hour to guide them through the arbitration process, which has already begun and then recommences in January. Meanwhile the case is concurrently being considered by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (or at least it hopes to; there is a jurisdiction hearing on the 29th of September to determine whether or not Newcastle's case against the PL can actually be heard in that particular court). This is all fact.

That's an awful lot of time and money spent on some intricate ruse. Why would Staveley and the Reuben's et al be interested in that sort of charade, not to mention the bigwigs at the Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia? Or if Staveley was a timewaster, why wouldn't Ashley say so, as he did when she first came to the table with another deal (which obviously didn't carry water) in 2017?

Re your point (2). I know, agreed; that's what I said.

Re point (3) They pulled out in the last week of July after the Premier League made no decision after 15 or so weeks of supposed tussling over evidence regarding the separation of PIF from the Saudi state.

Re point (3) again; human rights sadly had absolutely nothing to do with it. There's a chance it may have had something to do with it at some point in the process, had the Saudi state been put through the O&D Test, but it wasn't. Possibly one reason why they were so anxious to prove separation between it and PIF.

None of this has come from bias sources or Ashley cronies; these are accepted accounts of what happened. Unless the likes of Matt Slater at the Athletic (to name one of many examples) are in on it as well.

As for the rubbish about Mbappe etc. That was always a total cringe and I didn't subscribe to any of it. Re Rafael, I wanted him back of course, and given his comments at the start of the season ("we thought something would happen, it didn't, and that's it") - he was interested. Unless he was duped by it all as well.

I have absolutely no affection for any member of the consortium; no reason to fight their corner or argue in their favour. They ultimately mean absolutely nothing to NUFC and, clearly, have fundamental issues which may never successfully traverse the Premier League's tests. So hopefully you see all this as a fairly unbiased take.
Remember when you sacked robson after 4 games, said nothing, then built a statue of him?

We had representatives in court versus the Premier League today.

Ashley is fighting for the Saudi-led takeover on two fronts; one of which is via confidential arbitration, as per the Premier League rules around member disputes; secondly via the Competition Appeal Tribunal (CAT), where the argument is that the PL were lobbied and then incorrectly applied their Owners & Directors Test, ultimately resulting in the Saudis withdrawing their bid.

The latter was the context today, with the PL arguing in the first instance that - almost regardless of whether or not they applied their OADT correctly - the case shouldn't even be discussed at CAT (due to the overlap with arbitration). Thankfully, the Judge didn't seem overly impressed with their argument and, pending his ruling on this, we may yet get our day in court, assuming of course that the arbitration bears no fruit first.

Suffice to say that observing six tedious hours of legal professionals bickering, tutting and shaking their heads over Microsoft Teams represented, easily, the most entertaining episode of Newcastle's season so far.

Ashley is fighting for the Saudi-led takeover on two fronts; one of which is via confidential arbitration, as per the Premier League rules around member disputes; secondly via the Competition Appeal Tribunal (CAT), where the argument is that the PL were lobbied and then incorrectly applied their Owners & Directors Test, ultimately resulting in the Saudis withdrawing their bid.

The latter was the context today, with the PL arguing in the first instance that - almost regardless of whether or not they applied their OADT correctly - the case shouldn't even be discussed at CAT (due to the overlap with arbitration). Thankfully, the Judge didn't seem overly impressed with their argument and, pending his ruling on this, we may yet get our day in court, assuming of course that the arbitration bears no fruit first.

Suffice to say that observing six tedious hours of legal professionals bickering, tutting and shaking their heads over Microsoft Teams represented, easily, the most entertaining episode of Newcastle's season so far.
What we really want to know is your thoughts on boxing and horses?

The takeover is not happening, it’s been two years, move on.

I don't know. It's this type of tenacity over pointless legal proceedings that keeps our entire legal system afloat.

Charles Dickens wrote Bleak House about such a case. Which is just an excuse to repeat one of my dear old dad's favourite jokes. Do you like Dickens? I don't know- I've never been to one.

You saying that is like me saying, at 1-0 down, "you're not going to win, it's the 70th minute, move on."

You could be right, like, I really couldn't bet on the outcome at this stage. It all hinges on whether Ashley's legal teams can prove separation between PIF and the Saudi state; which is the key thing being debated in arbitration. The Premier League('s legal representative) itself said yesterday that the takeover would happen were that to be achieved. I've no idea how strong the legal arguments are either way though.

As long as there's even the merest of hope that the takeover could happen, there's little else to cling on to! We're a very, very desperate bunch these days, I've absolutely no hesitation in admitting that.

I had a flick back through this thread last night just for interest. I see your interpretation of Newcastle fans has been informed by the vocal loonies on Twitter like Steve Wraith et al. I can say with confidence that these types of people do not represent me or the majority!

I can say with confidence that these types of people do not represent me or the majority!
I lived in Newcastle for many years and can say with absolute certainty they do. Even the most rational of geordies (and I include many of my closest friends) turn into a foaming bloater as soon as football is mentioned. Like a switch is flicked. I used to work with a lad who called St James’ ‘church’ lol

You saying that is like me saying, at 1-0 down, "you're not going to win, it's the 70th minute, move on."

You could be right, like, I really couldn't bet on the outcome at this stage. It all hinges on whether Ashley's legal teams can prove separation between PIF and the Saudi state; which is the key thing being debated in arbitration. The Premier League('s legal representative) itself said yesterday that the takeover would happen were that to be achieved. I've no idea how strong the legal arguments are either way though.

As long as there's even the merest of hope that the takeover could happen, there's little else to cling on to! We're a very, very desperate bunch these days, I've absolutely no hesitation in admitting that.

I had a flick back through this thread last night just for interest. I see your interpretation of Newcastle fans has been informed by the vocal loonies on Twitter like Steve Wraith et al. I can say with confidence that these types of people do not represent me or the majority!

Your thoughts on Paulie Belta ?

His " zany " stuff seems to be held in high regard by many of the Toon fans.

He`s provided hours of fun on here.

Last edited:

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back