Votes: 91 9.3%
  • Silva

Votes: 283 29.0%
  • Hiddink

Votes: 30 3.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not sure managerial appointments are measured by time at work mate.
Nope. Just thought after all the 'headlines'and 'itk's' commenting last night it was going to be decided upon (and announced today). Could still happen tonight I suppose. Realistically it'll probably rumble on until after tomorrow nights game.

Full article - Paul Joyce is very reliable too

So that's the Telegraph and The Times, expect the others to carry it soon too

Everton aim to appoint Sam Allardyce as manager by tomorrow evening

Paul Joyce, Northern Football Correspondent
November 28 2017, 5:00pm, The Times

Everton are progressing in talks with Sam Allardyce’s representatives as they seek to appoint a new manager before tomorrow’s home game against West Ham United.

Everton reacted to Sunday’s abject 4-1 defeat to Southampton, which highlighted all of the flaws which threaten their top flight status, by inviting the former England coach back to the negotiating table.

Those players who do not have the bottle to take on the fight need to be honest and say there are not up for it.

Length of contract and Allardyce’s backroom staff will feature in the negotiations, which are said to be moving forward slowly but surely. Allardyce is in Dubai and not due back in the country until tomorrow.

Caretaker manager David Unsworth will take training at Finch Farm this evening, and expects to pick the team, but has warned of the potential pitfalls facing Allardyce by claiming too many first team players lack “bottle” and there is no quick fix.

“We need to start winning,” said Unsworth, who has lost five of his seven matches in charge. “The home comfort of Goodison has to help us. We need to stick together, we need men and courage and mental toughness. You need top players to stand up and be counted.

“Those players who do not have the bottle to take on the fight need to be honest, come forward and say there are not up for it and we will get players who are up for it.

“We may need to recruit proven Premier League players who are up for the fight.

“I don’t think there’s a quick fix in football. I don’t think there’s a secret ingredient where somebody just comes in and all of a sudden you start winning again.

“The fundamental problems have been on the pitch and in performance. We need our best players fit quickly, we need some proven Premier League recruitment in January, quickly, in early January, and we need to win a couple of games and get confidence flying again.

“When confidence is low it takes a bit of time to build that back up. I don’t think there’s a quick fix, whoever gets the job needs time and patience, support, and backing and they’ll get all of that from me.”

Everton have also placed Shakhtar Donetsk’s Paulo Fonseca and Republic of Ireland coach Martin O’Neill on a shortlist in case there are any late hitches with Allardyce.

If it is to be Allardyce you would think we would have been able to hand him the keys before tomorrow's game. Why do we dither so much? Or perhaps FS doesn't want to risk starting his Everton career with a defeat to Moyes' West Ham...'You take this one Unsy'. :Blink:

i'm amazed everyone is supporting Fonseca, cos if he's not able to adapt instantly to the Premier League, we get relegated for the first time in fifty years

Every managerial appointment is a gamble to some extent but Allardyce would be a far bigger gamble.

One major point people are missing about this "Relegation Saviour" talk is that it is based in the past before the influx of the massive new TV money.

Before that you could always guarantee that one or two of the promoted sides were that bad and didn't have the finances to compete. So much so that they were almost guaranteed to go down. So there was maybe only one place to avoid to miss the drop.

This season with the new money is different, as can be seen by the likes of Huddersfield and Brighton's performances and the fact that no team has been cast adrift at the bottom as is usually the case by this time.

So trusting in Big Sam's old style tactics with the wrong type of players were we have to be better than 3 strongly funded teams in my opinion is the big gamble here.

"We may need to recruit proven Premier League players who are up for the fight."

What's the obsession with proven Premier League players and managers? Martinez, Koeman, Baines, Williams, Keane, Gana, Schneiderlin, Mirallas, Sigurdsson, Rooney not enough yet?

Allardyce and Andy Carroll, can't wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back