Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next Everton Manager

Manager?

• Rhino

Votes: 85 8.7%
  • Tuchel

Votes: 168 17.2%
  • Simeone

Votes: 259 26.6%
  • Dyche

Votes: 59 6.1%
  • Allardyce

Votes: 91 9.3%
  • Silva

Votes: 283 29.0%
  • Hiddink

Votes: 30 3.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if the current 'top target' is Fonseca?

For all intents it's sounding like there's a very real possibility that Fonseca himself would want in, therefore we need to make it so.

@davek is bang on the money. If you really believe somebody is the right man up to the point where you're willing to pay over £10m for his services then he is surely believed to be the right man just 14 weeks later.

If Fonseca was the #1 target then surely we'd have looked for an interim straight away to take us up to May?

If we have now shifted targets fine but nothing has changed with Fonseca's contract and everything with Silva's so you'd have to question the decision making and planning.

Even if the current 'top target' is Fonseca?

For all intents it's sounding like there's a very real possibility that Fonseca himself would want in, therefore we need to make it so.

Fonseca has wanted the job the last two times we have spoke to him, last time it wasn't shakhtar stopping him coming, we decided on Silva as a preference - the club - or some people in it but great weight on 'premiership experience' and are dead/where dead against any appointee who lacked that.

IF that situation has changed any i have zero idea.

@davek is bang on the money. If you really believe somebody is the right man up to the point where you're willing to pay over £10m for his services then he is surely believed to be the right man just 14 weeks later.

If Fonseca was the #1 target then surely we'd have looked for an interim straight away to take us up to May?

If we have now shifted targets fine but nothing has changed with Fonseca's contract and everything with Silva's so you'd have to question the decision making and planning.

We've spoken to Fonseca before hiring two managers mate, this time round we spoke to him and from things i heard he wanted the job, we never offered him it and went for Silva in preference then went the last sam saloon.

Heard a couple of things that initially we could have got the deal done, but by the time we went for the sam option things had changed on their end - guess if you piss around for 6 weeks it doesn't help them replace etc either.

Fonseca has wanted the job the last two times we have spoke to him, last time it wasn't shakhtar stopping him coming, we decided on Silva as a preference - the club - or some people in it but great weight on 'premiership experience' and are dead/where dead against any appointee who lacked that.

IF that situation has changed any i have zero idea.
Are you sure about that? It was widely reported days before Allardyce was announced that Shakhtar had told us to back off, presumably because they didn't want to lose their manager having just got them through to the CL knockouts.

It is the original WRD and he is usually very good.

Wrt Silva and people saying his head will be turned by the top 4 etc do yourselves a favour. This season's situation was pretty unique. He was hired by a club renowned for disposing of managers on a whim and their mantra is short term appointments only. Add to that EFC come calling with Moshiri's pockets full of slummy it's entirely logical for him to want to jump ship. We'd all do the same in our respective jobs in that situation.

But it doesn't mean his head will be turned at the first sign of attention. This EFC are as far removed from Watford in terms of scale and ambition as you can get.

He's a very good coach and I'd welcome him.

Only caveat I'd say to that is i have absolutely zero idea how WRD would have a clue about Fonseca being close to signing a new contract (even their press has been dead silent on it since their chairman confidently stated back in November he had been offered one and he expects him to sign it within a few days).

I normally think he doesn't speak unless he's pretty sure on things, on this though, the only single way i could see him having any knowledge would be if the club was already in discussions with Fonseca - otherwise it wouldn't have a clue.

Actually, thinking about it, it could very well just be agent bs about the new contract, to try get the club to hire an out of work manager who just so happens to represent both Silva and Fonseca btw. Fonseca can likely get a job on the back of this season at a cluib of equal standing/financiaes to us, Silva i doubt will be able to and would have to start lower down again.

Makes sense to get the one into the best job who is harder to sell to other clubs ...

My own opinion - no chance on earth Fonseca signs a new contract - unless it is one which is just to ensure that the club get a small pay-off when he leaves in the summer - and maybe to allow him to start discussions soon as they go out the CL?

Are you sure about that? It was widely reported days before Allardyce was announced that Shakhtar had told us to back off, presumably because they didn't want to lose their manager having just got them through to the CL knockouts.

Check what i said later on mate, initially we had spoken to him - and believe it was with permission as well from the club, but that was early doors after sacking Koeman, before we started chasing Silva like a dog on heat, no idea if we later went back in for him and at that point the club knocked us back just before we went cap in hand to BFS.

My guess would be thats where the story came from that the media released though

Also mate the situation at the start was very different, was only three games in and nothing decided when we first approached, we hired Sam about 6 days before they had their must not lose last group game against City.

The field of realistic candidates seems quite limited but it’s easy to just become myopic and focus on Silva/Fonseca.

I would accept either with a clear preference for Fonseca.

The time for the club to do its homework and conduct a thorough process is between November and now, on the basis that Allardyce was never going to stay beyond May.

If they have some gentleman’s agreement with Silva or Fonseca, then it’s fine with me - get them in as soon as possible there is no time to waste. Silva is the more obvious then, as we went all out to get him and he is waiting on a phone call since.

They just can’t decide to sack Allardyce and then start from a blank page again in WC year. That would be yet more dereliction of duty.

That farcical six week manager search period in October/November need not go down as a total shambles yet if the groundwork to secure a more suitable manager was done or at least begun in that time.

If Sam is sacked in May and there is any gap of more than a few days before a replacement is announced then it is the clearest indication that they have sat on their hands again.

Only caveat I'd say to that is i have absolutely zero idea how WRD would have a clue about Fonseca being close to signing a new contract (even their press has been dead silent on it since their chairman confidently stated back in November he had been offered one and he expects him to sign it within a few days).

I normally think he doesn't speak unless he's pretty sure on things, on this though, the only single way i could see him having any knowledge would be if the club was already in discussions with Fonseca - otherwise it wouldn't have a clue.

Actually, thinking about it, it could very well just be agent bs about the new contract, to try get the club to hire an out of work manager who just so happens to represent both Silva and Fonseca btw. Fonseca can likely get a job on the back of this season at a cluib of equal standing/financiaes to us, Silva i doubt will be able to and would have to start lower down again.

Makes sense to get the one into the best job who is harder to sell to other clubs ...

My own opinion - no chance on earth Fonseca signs a new contract - unless it is one which is just to ensure that the club get a small pay-off when he leaves in the summer - and maybe to allow him to start discussions soon as they go out the CL?

Apparently that WRD who said Fonseca is signing a new deal wasn't the real WRD with the info

Fonseca is a Lukakian 99.999% certainty to sign up again for Shaktar.

Welcome aboard Paulo!

The field of realistic candidates seems quite limited but it’s easy to just become myopic and focus on Silva/Fonseca.

I would accept either with a clear preference for Fonseca.

The time for the club to do its homework and conduct a thorough process is between November and now, on the basis that Allardyce was never going to stay beyond May.

If they have some gentleman’s agreement with Silva or Fonseca, then it’s fine with me - get them in as soon as possible there is no time to waste. Silva is the more obvious then, as we went all out to get him and he is waiting on a phone call since.

They just can’t decide to sack Allardyce and then start from a blank page again in WC year. That would be yet more dereliction of duty.

That farcical six week manager search period in October/November need not go down as a total shambles yet if the groundwork to secure a more suitable manager was done or at least begun in that time.

If Sam is sacked in May and there is any gap of more than a few days before a replacement is announced then it is the clearest indication that they have sat on their hands again.
Good post, feeling similar right now. I will say though that Silva is probably the very limit to what I'm willing to accept as a 'prime target', I just don't see the appeal in him personally but we can do worse I suppose.

I think what Dave says make sense. Are we so fickle or unsure of our judgement that we change our mind about a manager so quickly even though there were circumstances which contributed to his demise at Watford.

The only caveat that I would add is the arrival on the market of a manager of proven calibre. I am thinking of Emery who will probably be leaving PSG. We know that he was our first choice before Koeman , Silva or anybody else but obviously PSG was way to big a job to turn down. It looks as if he may be out of work in the summer and Moshiri will probably at least enquire about availability. There may be a couple of other managers that may also become available in the summer that were tied last December but I think if nothing obvious becomes available then we will probably go back for Silva.

Having a poor season really doesn't alter our standing hugely. The new stadium is important and the transfer budget is even more important as any new manager will want to bring in a number of his own players anyway. There are enough good players at Everton to at least offer a base on which to build a team , for instance Funes Mori is not held in very high regard by some Evertonians but when fit he is a first choice Argentine centre half. Players like Pickford, Coleman, Walcott, Sigurdsson and some others will be seen as a very good starting point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back