Votes: 283 29.0%
  • Hiddink

Votes: 30 3.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim ?

jim-pearson.webp

Except you said to bring him in on a short term contract, so your saying the club panics the players by bringing in a manager who they dont want so they play well so he leaves, alternatively ofc they play crap the club goes down and they all leave anyway, great thinking mate

Allardyce is the biggest myth out there, every club he has been at has gotten worse after he left than before he arrived, Newcastle actually where wrecked by him and Walsh within 6 months

This is a very good and overlooked point with Sam. Aside from the obvious concerns about appointing a fella who's deemed too corrupt for even the FA, his atrocious football style, obnoxious comments he's made about Everton and his 7th at best performance I'd alert people to 2 points.

1) Every side he leaves he leaves in a bad mess. It could be seen as a positive, but the glib reality is he prioritises short term goals over a long term structure.

2) He can do enormous damage in even a 6 month contract. He will demand some of his own signings and likely need to move lads on to fund this. Given his track record it will likely be younger players moved on for easy quick cash, as he has neither the skill, inclination or time to have any interest into developing them. We'll be left with yard dog players (I suspect Mark Noble and Andy Carroll may be 2) who have little use for a better manager in the summer.

One point leads to another. It's very unlikely he accepts a 6 month deal. I struggle to get my head around thinking posters who are ambivalent to this.

I’ve no problem with Allardyce I’d prefer him over Dyche.

My reasoning is this:

It’s clear the market is limited at the moment and a long term appointment for what’s available feels wrong and to be frank risky.

He has a track record of getting the best out of what’s available.

Premier League expiernce, never been relegated.

He knows how to balance a squad both at the moment and pragmatic purchases in January. He has an eye for a The right player and getting a blend.

An Allerdyce short term appointment, also maximisises and enables the next choice after him being better.

The problem is Allardyce is well aware of this, and will not want to be used as a pawn in a bigger game.

I'd also say, our standard in the game will fall so dramatically if we turn to Allardyce, we can really wave goodbye to top managers going forward.

As my post above says even in a best case scenario of him being here 6 months he can do huge damage by taking key decisions to move people on.

The debate reminds me a lot of the Martina debate. There was a lot of "oh he's just back up" to "oh he's only starting the odd game" to "Well he puts a decent ball in" when he is the first choice defender for a side with the worst defensive record in the league, a disproportionate amount of goals coming directly down his side. The Allardyce option and standards will slip one day to the next.

Except you said to bring him in on a short term contract, so your saying the club panics the players by bringing in a manager who they dont want so they play well so he leaves, alternatively ofc they play crap the club goes down and they all leave anyway, great thinking mate

Allardyce is the biggest myth out there, every club he has been at has gotten worse after he left than before he arrived, Newcastle actually where wrecked by him and Walsh within 6 months

Newcastle - He had them midtable after selling two key players. Ashley just took over and bowed to the Fat Geordie biffs who hated Big Sam's football. Who'd they get in afterwards? Kevin Keagan. Joe Kinnear. Alan Shearer. Chris Hughton (1st job).

Blackburn - Again comfortably midtable. Sold big players. Didn't spend much. Venkys come in, want Champos league football with a fiver and didn't realise there was relegation - sacked him. Brought in? Steve Kean. Henning Berg. Gary Bowyer.

West Ham - Well documented. Got them promoted, finished 10th the next season. Then the Hammers faithful turned on him and wanted to bring the "West Ham way" back (whatever that is) and got above their station thinking they deserved more. Got Bilic in. One season wonder.

So...I can't see anything there that's his fault.

Newcastle - He had them midtable after selling two key players. Ashley just took over and bowed to the Fat Geordie biffs who hated Big Sam's football. Who'd they get in afterwards? Kevin Keagan. Joe Kinnear. Alan Shearer. Chris Hughton (1st job).

Blackburn - Again comfortably midtable. Sold big players. Didn't spend much. Venkys come in, want Champos league football with a fiver and didn't realise there was relegation - sacked him. Brought in? Steve Kean. Henning Berg. Gary Bowyer.

West Ham - Well documented. Got them promoted, finished 10th the next season. Then the Hammers faithful turned on him and wanted to bring the "West Ham way" back (whatever that is) and got above their station thinking they deserved more. Got Bilic in. One season wonder.

So...I can't see anything there that's his fault.

Mid table, but with 9 points from the previous 12 fixtures - they where heading one way when they sacked him mate

allardyce btw brought kean in as his assistant manager

Hated by the fans of each, insulting to two sets of them whilst manager, sorry but anyone wanting this cretin near our club needs to have a word

We have four winnable games coming up next.We don't need to resort, to the break glass in case of emergency option, that is Sam Allardyce.We should be looking at what manager, can get us as far up the table as possible, and be the right man for us to achieve our long term goals.If we hire Big Sam, then the board are basically saying, that all we care about is staying in the premiership.

If we need to wait until the end of the season to get the right man, then I'd rather do that than give the wrong man - or someone who's just about acceptable - a three to five year contract now. In which case, we'd need someone willing and able to do a job for the remainder of this season. Chelsea have done it two or three times that I can think of, albeit operating at a higher level than we are. My preference all along was for Unsworth, but I'm not sure now. Prior to Sunday's win, I'd just about talked myself into Allardyce. Now, I'm much less keen. What I'm sure of, though, is the next long-term appointment has to be the right man, or at least the man we're sure we want. Who that is, I don't know - Fonseca, Tuchel, Silva? But if we have to wait until the end of the season to get him, and if that means having Allardyce to fill in, then I'd accept that.

We are when we repeat our mistakes.

Once we'd dropped the under-performing players like Williams , Mirallas, Schneiderlin, and then finally took off Siggurdson, that side looked alright by the end. Certainly good enough to beat every bottom half team at home for the rest of this season and sneak a couple of away wins.

No need to give up and surrender to that big corrupt sweat Allardyce.

We are crap mate.

The problem is Allardyce is well aware of this, and will not want to be used as a pawn in a bigger game.

I'd also say, our standard in the game will fall so dramatically if we turn to Allardyce, we can really wave goodbye to top managers going forward.

As my post above says even in a best case scenario of him being here 6 months he can do huge damage by taking key decisions to move people on.

The debate reminds me a lot of the Martina debate. There was a lot of "oh he's just back up" to "oh he's only starting the odd game" to "Well he puts a decent ball in" when he is the first choice defender for a side with the worst defensive record in the league, a disproportionate amount of goals coming directly down his side. The Allardyce option and standards will slip one day to the next.

I think your being a bit panicky if I’m being honest mate no offense intended.

I think if it comes he will sign a two year deal and we will pay the compo for a change that or a bonus for staying up.

I also don’t think it harms our reputation at all with top managers, he was the England football manager and he has probably been the most successful English manager relatively over a long period in the PL. I’m not sure what recruiting from Burnley would do for our reputation in comparison. Frankly we employed a flavor of the month Koeman after Martinez, i think money and resources talks to be honest. Look who replaced him in his last two club jobs, Bilic at Westham and De Boer at Palace two young managers who hotly tipped to go onto be world class amangers, I know they didn’t or haven’t yet but you can see my point. I also see our trajectory to success being incremental to eventually getting someone of Simone’s ilk, I don’t see that happening suddenly, Allerdyce would be a another stepping stone albeit a steady one in our current context.

I think his brief will be limited myself on a short term basis, I think there will be coordinated approach to recruitment in and out, he will be given resources for balance but I can’t see him being allowed to jettison significant assets myself. Funny I have a feeling Walsh is heavily involved in outs. Even then there is always loans.

Perhaps mate, but then it’s better to play with a right back then none at all, as we are very aware of what it’s like and the disastouras effects of playing without a striker. I’ve already written the season off to be honest all that matters is playing in the PL next season and holding our heads high being competitive then clearing the decks, he ticks that box. For me he offers short term gain and maximizes future options, given the current market my own opinion is that’s best for Everton welfare. Everything else just doesn’t matter beyond that.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back