Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next Everton Manager

Manager?

• Rhino

Votes: 85 8.7%
  • Tuchel

Votes: 168 17.2%
  • Simeone

Votes: 259 26.6%
  • Dyche

Votes: 59 6.1%
  • Allardyce

Votes: 91 9.3%
  • Silva

Votes: 283 29.0%
  • Hiddink

Votes: 30 3.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well to turn your question back on you - what makes you think that the board is capable of getting a good option now, when there are less managers available?

What i have seen is a manager, Koeman, destroy Kenny's confidence by not giving him any game time last season, to tell him in the summer that he was fourth choice, to sign a journeyman third rate player and refuse to give him a chance until things got desperate. What I have seen since Unsworth came in is a lad who's confidence has increased game by game and who has gradually got better with each game, because, strangely enough, he has a manager who has some faith in him. As Seamus Coleman said of Paul Cook his manager at Sligo, "He made me feel like I was the best player in the League. It just makes such a difference when you have a manager who believes in you." That is what is happening to Kenny at the minute and the more experience he gets in the first team the better it will be in the long run for him and for Everton.

I think the message it sends out to the team is this, we've got a promising young kid who is breathing down your necks and aiming to get in the first team, if you want to stay there you better get your finger out and start playing to you full potential. That's exactly the right message to send in my opinion.

So coming from 2-0 down was all luck, nothing to do with team spirit, not giving in and not letting our heads drop. We had a chance with Baines in the first half, Sigurdsson missed a very good chance to equalise. So yes we had luck but it certainly wasn't all down to luck. As for turning a corner I posted earlier that Unsworth needs time on the training ground to turn us around and given that we haven't got a 7 day gap between games until some time in the New Year then the likelihood is that we will gradually keep improving but performances will continue to be erratic.

I didn't think this squad of players, as it stands now, could get us into the top 6 at the start of this season so i've got no reason to change my mind just because Unsworth is in temporary charge. Koeman's omni-shambles of a transfer 'strategy' has left us with an ageing slow defence and a very limited forward line. If we get 7th with this squad then Unsworth will of worked a minor miracle in my opinion. What i would like to see is the development of the younger players this season with a view to appointing a manager who can build a team around young players and who has a record of overachieving. Achieving a stable position in the league and winning the FA cup should be our aim for the rest of the season.
Major problem for me is that if we have to wait until Jan. before our trainee manager sorts the team out, and we have failed to improve our position, then we will have far less time to escape than we currently do. If Unsworth was the inexperienced youth coach at Spurs nobody would be in favour of appointing him even if he had won the youth league.
The first team of Everton is not the place for inexperienced managers to gain their work experience, however passionate they are about the club.

Well to turn your question back on you - what makes you think that the board is capable of getting a good option now, when there are less managers available?

What i have seen is a manager, Koeman, destroy Kenny's confidence by not giving him any game time last season, to tell him in the summer that he was fourth choice, to sign a journeyman third rate player and refuse to give him a chance until things got desperate. What I have seen since Unsworth came in is a lad who's confidence has increased game by game and who has gradually got better with each game, because, strangely enough, he has a manager who has some faith in him. As Seamus Coleman said of Paul Cook his manager at Sligo, "He made me feel like I was the best player in the League. It just makes such a difference when you have a manager who believes in you." That is what is happening to Kenny at the minute and the more experience he gets in the first team the better it will be in the long run for him and for Everton.

I think the message it sends out to the team is this, we've got a promising young kid who is breathing down your necks and aiming to get in the first team, if you want to stay there you better get your finger out and start playing to you full potential. That's exactly the right message to send in my opinion.

So coming from 2-0 down was all luck, nothing to do with team spirit, not giving in and not letting our heads drop. We had a chance with Baines in the first half, Sigurdsson missed a very good chance to equalise. So yes we had luck but it certainly wasn't all down to luck. As for turning a corner I posted earlier that Unsworth needs time on the training ground to turn us around and given that we haven't got a 7 day gap between games until some time in the New Year then the likelihood is that we will gradually keep improving but performances will continue to be erratic.

I didn't think this squad of players, as it stands now, could get us into the top 6 at the start of this season so i've got no reason to change my mind just because Unsworth is in temporary charge. Koeman's omni-shambles of a transfer 'strategy' has left us with an ageing slow defence and a very limited forward line. If we get 7th with this squad then Unsworth will of worked a minor miracle in my opinion. What i would like to see is the development of the younger players this season with a view to appointing a manager who can build a team around young players and who has a record of overachieving. Achieving a stable position in the league and winning the FA cup should be our aim for the rest of the season.
I don't believe we can get the type of manager that we probably be aiming to bring in. Certainly Silva for me doesn't represent a great manager but potentially the best manager we can get albeit a gamble. What I lose faith in personally is just how long it has took us to even get to this point. It's embarrassing, I don't think enough people realise that.

We will have to agree to disagree on the likes of kenny. I just don't see playing him right now is a positive as he is struggling to adapt quickly. At his age you can't expect him to be essentially premier league level so fast and I believe as I say his development will be held back as a result.

In a general sense I agree with the idea that it creates a ideal of playing for your place. What I think is different is that the players that aren't getting a chance in the team, the likes of sandro, klassen, currently vlasic etc are new here. So where in normal circumstances they are playing for their place, they aren't even getting given a chance to do that. So like I say, why should they care about Everton when so quickly they have been thrown aside for reserve players? My perspective is that it send the message that the club doesn't see them as part of the team , which after only 3 months is quite a poor decision from anyone involved with the first team.

I do believe the Watford result was purely luck. Gomez doesn't go off injured then we don't win, niasse doesn't chase a lost cause we don't win, cleverly puts the penalty away and we don't win. Far too much chance incidents happened to say otherwise in my opinion, which I am not taking away from the team but major issues are still there. Unsworth doesn't seem to have an identity in the team which training grounds won't change. In 4 games he hasn't put a particular style or game plan into place which suggests to me he isn't right for the job. At the very least you have an idea of what you want to do. Koeman knew what he wanted to do, the club failed to deliver the most important player to make it work. That's not to say koemans plan would have been effective or the right plan but once the striker didn't turn up, his gameplay went out of the window and was replaced with all the parts of a possession tram with no focal point. Who's to say what would have happened with a proper striker ?

I disagree about koeman being at fault for the transfer strategy. I believe 3 different sources brought their players in and no-one at any point analysed the squad to see if the recruitment was right. But then that is and has been open for discussion for a long time.

Honestly mste don't take my replies as argumentative because neither of us are right. Only opinion , like arseholes as they say.

I don't believe we can get the type of manager that we probably be aiming to bring in. Certainly Silva for me doesn't represent a great manager but potentially the best manager we can get albeit a gamble. What I lose faith in personally is just how long it has took us to even get to this point. It's embarrassing, I don't think enough people realise that.

We will have to agree to disagree on the likes of kenny. I just don't see playing him right now is a positive as he is struggling to adapt quickly. At his age you can't expect him to be essentially premier league level so fast and I believe as I say his development will be held back as a result.

In a general sense I agree with the idea that it creates a ideal of playing for your place. What I think is different is that the players that aren't getting a chance in the team, the likes of sandro, klassen, currently vlasic etc are new here. So where in normal circumstances they are playing for their place, they aren't even getting given a chance to do that. So like I say, why should they care about Everton when so quickly they have been thrown aside for reserve players? My perspective is that it send the message that the club doesn't see them as part of the team , which after only 3 months is quite a poor decision from anyone involved with the first team.

I do believe the Watford result was purely luck. Gomez doesn't go off injured then we don't win, niasse doesn't chase a lost cause we don't win, cleverly puts the penalty away and we don't win. Far too much chance incidents happened to say otherwise in my opinion, which I am not taking away from the team but major issues are still there. Unsworth doesn't seem to have an identity in the team which training grounds won't change. In 4 games he hasn't put a particular style or game plan into place which suggests to me he isn't right for the job. At the very least you have an idea of what you want to do. Koeman knew what he wanted to do, the club failed to deliver the most important player to make it work. That's not to say koemans plan would have been effective or the right plan but once the striker didn't turn up, his gameplay went out of the window and was replaced with all the parts of a possession tram with no focal point. Who's to say what would have happened with a proper striker ?

I disagree about koeman being at fault for the transfer strategy. I believe 3 different sources brought their players in and no-one at any point analysed the squad to see if the recruitment was right. But then that is and has been open for discussion for a long time.

Honestly mste don't take my replies as argumentative because neither of us are right. Only opinion , like arseholes as they say.
The big bang didn't happen, we don't exist, but it did!

Watford seem to be playing hard ball here.But if we beat Palace this weekend, then perhaps we should consider, leaving Unsy in charge until the end of the season?I suppose it depends on whether Watford will eventually cave in, and let us speak to Silva.But there could be even better options, than Silva available in the summer.

But this view of giving him the season, is that so black and white also? Because where i stand that means a potential relegation this season by sticking by a manager who isn't good enough for the top league with so little inexperience. At the very least it puts us in a spiral that leads us to having to offer someone like allardyce a contract and for longer than a few months which rips up this big idea of getting better in the summer. And that is the thing, getting a better option in the summer, why do you honestly believe that to be the case? What makes you think that this board is even capable of doing that? When they struggle to even competently get through a transfer window 2 years running? When they can't replace the one player thst needed replacing this summer? Their one job above all others?

What I have seen so far is young Kenny lose a hell of a lot of confidence and actually struggle this season in the team. I have no doubt the kid will be our right back in years to come and he has really impressed me but he is not only struggling but doing so in a team constantly getting beat. How is that positive for his or ant other young players development? And on the case of Benni, again he will be good enough one day but he isn't at the level we need him to be now. Picking him over klassen/schneiderlin/McCarthy/besic alone is always going to send out the wrong message to the team. That the current manager won't even consider them anymore? What's the point in them caring then? At a time we kinda do need players to give a damn about our situation?

You say we look 'more' a team except do we? Again from where I stand we are leaking goals actually more consistently than we ever did under koeman. 4 games in and we concede 2 minimum under unsworth, meaning we do have to score 3 a game to win. And we did win last week, massive relief for all of us. It only took niasse chasing a lost cause, them losing 2 of their first team and a missed penalty to do it. Do you really think that was not just down to luck? That if niasse doesn't grab a goal out of nothing again that we go on and lose again? It's purely fantasy to think based on that one game we have turned any sort of corner. Even the worst teams this league sees gets a win or two, Sunderland thumped palace 4-0 last January, didn't do anything to their survival bid though. I'll always disregard the Chelsea game considering the circumstances the manager had but for his other 3 games he got it wrong, every single game. Leicester beat us in 45 minutes because the tactics were wrong from the get go. Lyon was a must win game and we went there without a striker on the pitch. I don't care if we had a good little spell in the game, what was the end score? Watford we were dead and buried before our write off striker saved another managers arse this season. Because if we lose that game I guarantee you not a single fan would even consider the prospect of unsworth taking charge of any more games. Same as bournemouth bought koeman time, Watford seemingly bought unsworth time, time I genuinely believe he shouldn't have if we have any ambition as a football club.

Because here's the thing, still over 80 points to play for this season. As of right now we can still challenge for the title , we can still finish top 4 and we can certainly finish top 6. I don't believe we will under any circumstances but theoretically the whole season is ahead of us. So to relate back to your point about giving unsworth the season, do you think he can take us to the top 6? Challenge the top 4? That's the aim, that's ambition off the back of 140 million spent. To write the season off in November by having an intern manager with no experience just to hope the board who can't buy a striker for 2 years can pull off a good manager? Makes me embarassed to be a blue, because last time I checked nothing but the best is good enough and right now we just want to accept anything we can get.

Oh and we stick with unsworth for the season, we stay up, perhaps lower half and season over in August. What actually decent manager even looks twice at us? Never mind how much money we pay them, you wouldn't expect a good manager to go to stoke , to west Brom, to Burnley? Because despite everything, despite all the money spent, despite all the ambition spoken out, in 3 years we aren't even better than them clubs. We finished below them under Martinez for 2 years straight and seemingly we are back to their level again. But it's fine, we bought their best players as our insurance policy. Really helped us out there

Very excellent post!

And another, top stuff mate.

Simeone has ruled himself out saying he'll stay at Atletico for the next couple of years at least - all those votes in the above poll too. - not happening now and extremely unlikely to ever happen in the near to medium term future either

'Simeone rules out Everton job'

http://www.skysports.com/share/11130749

It's footie talk for "I'm searching for a house in Hale, see you at GP soon (this century maybe, who knows?)".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back