Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone mentioned phillip cocu at psv?

Saw his psv side hold there own vrs a superior ath madrid team which shows he knows how to organise a team and set them up to be solid

Has won things with psv with a plan of bringing young players through and with some of our kids coming through he would give them a chance

He has played for some of the biggest teams in europe so should have contacts to teams such as barca, unlike that spanish bell who thinks he does cos he is spanish n tanned.

Has had to deal with losing wijnaldum & depay this year and is still sitting top of a league which was dominated by ajax until cocu came in

Cocu is a great shout. As is De Boer.

As interesting as this thread is, RM will be manager come the start of next season, sadly.

And the really depressing thing is, deep down we probably all know that to be true.

What would people's thoughts be on getting Hiddink at the end of the season. Top manager who knows the league and I couldn't see anyone better than us going in for him. The big negative would be that he is getting on a bit but if we used him as a stop gap for a couple of years I feel he could improve our standing in the league and we could go and then get a top level manager to really build things around.

People suggesting Mourinho and Simeone are surely not serious. I mean you really think two of the best managers in world football would come to us?

Mark Hughes, all day long !
A4gjaRQ.gif

Simeone or Tuchel.

Offer a big war chest and inform the players that a manager of this calibre is incoming, before we lose any key players.

Tuchel would be ideal for me. Very similar trajectory to Klopp but in all honesty an upgrade. While Klopp had Mainz relegated Tuchel kept them up. Where Klopp left Dortmund languishing Tuchel has turned them again into a top 3-4 side and a fearsome opponent in Europe. He was the guy I wanted when we lost Moyes. The only question is whether we can tempt him?

More "realistic" options I would say De Boer is the standout candidate. The big thing we lack under Martinez is consistency. This lad has won 3 consecutive titles, builds a club with a mixture of his own buys and bringing through players from their academy. Cocoa is also a great shout, hasn't quite had the consistency of De Boer, but over the last 18 months has outperformed him. I think both of these would go.

I know some like Emery and AVB. I wouldn't mind either of these but by no means a first choice. With Emery I am slightly worried about Sevilla's erratic league form. It's a hard league I know but his performance in the Europa league outweighs his league performance. As our weakness is consistency it does leave a doubt in my mind that we'd be left with similar issues to what we now face.

AVB is still a young manager with an impressive CV. I don't think he abjectly failed at Spurs, while Chelsea was just too big a job for a young manager. I think he could be our Potchetino, but do understand people's reservations about him. As you can see not my number 1 choice.

Overall I think we need to find our Potchetino. Everton as a club always does better when we build steadily and do so by bringing through players in a way he has done at Spurs. A "big name" manager coming towards the end of his career would not be a natural fit for us at this time. I think Capello would be a disaster in all honesty and could see players like Barkley, Deulofeu and Stones going backwards. Mourinho would be fantastic but the same worries would apply.

The 2 names at the top, De Boer and Tuchel are the closest things I've seen to a Poch.

I've went for "Other" because the above list is way waaaay off the mark for me.

From that list, Mourinho would be the obvious choice. But unlikely.

Sticking to realistic names - and I think we should be looking outside of England

Rui Vitoria (Benfica), Thomas Tuchel (Dortmund) , Andre Villas-Boas (Zenit), Unai Emery (Sevilla), Leonardo Jardim (Monaco), Marcelino (Villareal) and Phillip Cocu (PSV) who would be better than Frank de Boer IMO although a bit less experienced, but still a lot better....it's not even close....yet De Boer is the one who makes the list!

All of the above are getable (not sure if Tuchel would be really). And from the above, I'd take any of them. AvB would be my least favored. If I had to pick one, I'd go for Emery.

Also, there may be some international managers who fancy a PL job after the Euro's - with a club that will spend a fair bit and pays well. Didier Deschamps, Joachim Low and Antonio Conte (if he doesn't go to Chelsea) are the obvious choices.

Every pme pf these would be a massive improvement on Martinez and almost all (if not actually all) would jump at the opportunity to manage us).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back