Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The money would have been there without the addition of Moshiri. If we could afford to pay Moyes £3.5 million at a time in which Kenwright was telling us that the bank were about to pull the rug from under our feet, then we can afford to double that now.

As well as having to pay a top manager huge wages, that top manager will also expect a huge war chest for transfers.

Simeone signed a new contract about a year ago that pays him £4.4m a year after tax. He is literally one of the most highly paid managers in the world at a club challenging for La Liga. We aren't getting Simeone. Or Tuchel.

Well he doesn't seem to be mentioned in this list of the top 20paid managers: http://www.totalsportek.com/money/highest-paid-football-managers/

I see Bobby Martinez is no longer the sixth highest paid manager in the Premier League, as that massive club called Newcastle has gone and hired the ex-Real Madrid manager at a cost of 6 million Euros per year.

Funny how a managers reputation can change from hero to zero or the reverse in such a short time.

Both Spurs and Utd were competing for LVG and he left the Brazil World cup with his reputation enhanced.

Ranieri was sacked by Greece after losing to the Faroe Islands and even Lineker thought it a daft appointment yet he has Leicester a whisker away from the title.

Think one of Martinez's biggest problems is his denial at anything being wrong, apart from yesterday, a defeat would be down to other circumstances, nothing to do with him, players and tactics.

I'm still in the Martinez camp, but I reached a point where I was hoping we would start sending someone else out to do our post match interviews.

The money would have been there without the addition of Moshiri. If we could afford to pay Moyes £3.5 million at a time in which Kenwright was telling us that the bank were about to pull the rug from under our feet, then we can afford to double that now. That equates to near enough 50 million Euros for someone given a five year contract, and that's enough to attract almost anyone. I don't expect you to accept this though, as many blues seem to have a problem with realising that it isn't 1999 anymore.

It's like you wish it still was 1999. Don't get me wrong, tunes were banging back then and the world seemed a lot more fun, but it was actually 17 years ago and the rest of the world has actually moved on a bit since then. We supposedly have a great squad and we can offer salaries of 10million Euros a year, and yet we will still only be able to attract the likes of Eddie Howe, whilst our supposed peers mop up Europe's best talent.

We are all ambitious and want the best there is. But we are nowhere near being in a position to get the best managers out there or players for that matter. Dropping names like Mourinho and Simeone is deluded and sounds silly.

And our expenditure of late has been absolutely miniscule hasn't it? I guess it's going to get even smaller with the new TV deal coming in, and the investment of Moshiri.

Compared to other clubs our spending is miniscule. Also, a top manager will want top wages, he will want the top players, who will cost top, top Dollar, who will also want top wages, when would FFP kick in for us?

I've went for "Other" because the above list is way waaaay off the mark for me.

From that list, Mourinho would be the obvious choice. But unlikely.

Sticking to realistic names - and I think we should be looking outside of England

Rui Vitoria (Benfica), Thomas Tuchel (Dortmund) , Andre Villas-Boas (Zenit), Unai Emery (Sevilla), Leonardo Jardim (Monaco), Marcelino (Villareal) and Phillip Cocu (PSV) who would be better than Frank de Boer IMO although a bit less experienced, but still a lot better....it's not even close....yet De Boer is the one who makes the list!

All of the above are getable (not sure if Tuchel would be really). And from the above, I'd take any of them. AvB would be my least favored. If I had to pick one, I'd go for Emery.

Also, there may be some international managers who fancy a PL job after the Euro's - with a club that will spend a fair bit and pays well. Didier Deschamps, Joachim Low and Antonio Conte (if he doesn't go to Chelsea) are the obvious choices.

Every pme pf these would be a massive improvement on Martinez and almost all (if not actually all) would jump at the opportunity to manage us).

What makes you think they are better than De Boer mate? I am not saying you are wrong. I don't follow dutch football as much over the last couple of years as I did, but De Boer seemed to take an Ajax side who'd not won much to 3 consecutive league titles which would seem a fantastic achievement.

We are all ambitious and want the best there is. But we are nowhere near being in a position to get the best managers out there or players for that matter. Dropping names like Mourinho and Simeone is deluded and sounds silly.

There are quite a few blues who openly admit that they do not want the best there is, they believe this would involve selling our soul. I'm not saying that Everton can necessarily go out and select a manager and they will definitely come without hesitation, but I am saying that we can now pay our managers the same amount of cash that Zinedine Zidane is receiving at Real Madrid, and that this amount of cash is enough to get someone from the very top tier, and not the next Moyes in Eddie Howe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back