Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tuchel would be ideal for me. Very similar trajectory to Klopp but in all honesty an upgrade. While Klopp had Mainz relegated Tuchel kept them up. Where Klopp left Dortmund languishing Tuchel has turned them again into a top 3-4 side and a fearsome opponent in Europe. He was the guy I wanted when we lost Moyes. The only question is whether we can tempt him?

Timak said:
There is nobody in English football, who we could get, that I'd consider.

Going to have to be some random foreigner like Tuchel who might be able to bring in some quality players from Germany.

But we all know it is going to be Martinez. And we'll be back to being awful.

Timak, May 8, 2013

As interesting as this thread is, RM will be manager come the start of next season, sadly.

And the really depressing thing is, deep down we probably all know that to be true.

I hope not and my hopes have been raised over the last week.

First with Moshiri's stone-faced reaction to Kenwright waxing lyrical about him...then to Martinez saying there were things Moshiri wasn't happy about with the Chelsea performance....I just got the feeling our new investor was preparing him for the boot come May...and was so happy to hear he isn't one of the happy clappers.

People suggesting Mourinho and Simeone are surely not serious. I mean you really think two of the best managers in world football would come to us?

We have been paying Moyes and Martinez £3.5 million pound a year, Moyes was paid that at a time when we were absolutely skint and our revenues were half of what they are about to become after this season. If we double that, which is well within our capabilities, then we will be offering a manager 10million Euros per year, a five year contract would see them receive 50 million Euros, which is enough to turn ANYBODY'S head. It would also see Simeone's current salary increase by about 300%.

But we can't do that at Everton can we? No, this idea that we will soon be one of the richest clubs in the world is just fantasy, Everton actually pay their managers with peanuts, and we don't want to become a big club again as it would mean losing our soul.

We have been paying Moyes and Martinez £3.5 million pound a year, Moyes was paid that at a time when we were absolutely skint and our revenues were half of what they are about to become after this season. If we double that, which is well within our capabilities, then we will be offering a manager 10million Euros per year, a five year contract would see them receive 50 million Euros, which is enough to turn ANYBODY'S head. It would also see Simeone's current salary increase by about 300%.

But we can't do that at Everton can we? No, this idea that we will soon be one of the richest clubs in the world is just fantasy, Everton actually pay their managers with peanuts, and we don't want to become a big club again as it would mean losing our soul.

Simeone signed a new contract about a year ago that pays him £4.4m a year after tax. He is literally one of the most highly paid managers in the world at a club challenging for La Liga. We aren't getting Simeone. Or Tuchel.

Don't be soft. These are top tier managers and just like top tier players they are way beyond our reach. Its nothing to do with salary.

And this idea that because we now have a rich majority shareholder that we are one of the most richest powerful teams in the world is equally as ridiculous. We are another club in an increasingly long line of clubs that will be able to throw a bit of money around. Thats all.

Last edited:
Don't be soft. These are top tier managers and just like top tier players they are way beyond our reach. Its nothing to do with salary.

And this idea that because we now have a rich majority shareholder that we are one of the most richest powerful teams in the world is equally as ridiculous. We are another club in an increasingly long line of clubs that will be able to throw a bit of mine around. Thats all.

The money would have been there without the addition of Moshiri. If we could afford to pay Moyes £3.5 million at a time in which Kenwright was telling us that the bank were about to pull the rug from under our feet, then we can afford to double that now. That equates to near enough 50 million Euros for someone given a five year contract, and that's enough to attract almost anyone. I don't expect you to accept this though, as many blues seem to have a problem with realising that it isn't 1999 anymore.

It's like you wish it still was 1999. Don't get me wrong, tunes were banging back then and the world seemed a lot more fun, but it was actually 17 years ago and the rest of the world has actually moved on a bit since then. We supposedly have a great squad and we can offer salaries of 10million Euros a year, and yet we will still only be able to attract the likes of Eddie Howe, whilst our supposed peers mop up Europe's best talent.

Funny how a managers reputation can change from hero to zero or the reverse in such a short time.

Both Spurs and Utd were competing for LVG and he left the Brazil World cup with his reputation enhanced.

Ranieri was sacked by Greece after losing to the Faroe Islands and even Lineker thought it a daft appointment yet he has Leicester a whisker away from the title.

It's often about personalities and whether everything fits rather than just being the "best manager".

I suppose it's no different to putting a team together on the pitch who complement each other. Sum of the parts and all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back