Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Think if you read carefully mate, there's nothing concrete in anything Southampton have said that suggests RK is going to sign an extension.
As long as that extension isn't signed, RK remains in play. All this noise in the media is part and parcel to the way things get negotiated and how pressure is applied accordingly. RK's stock is high because he has an attractive status quo option AND a wealthy suitor. He and his agent are doing what needs to be done to assure at least one certain outcome: That Ronald Koeman gets PAID.

There's more than enough stuff we could go through that we wouldn't want to keep from Martinez's time in charge but the one thing we should hold onto is the passing football philosophy and not capitulate to the NBA end to end style of PL football played today. Winning the league is only going to get harder so European football is another good shot at some silverware, that's not going to happen playing NBA football. The passing philosophy has to stay and run from our youngest through to the first team so that new managers know exactly what they're getting when they're approached and will be interviewed expected to have a full and thorough plan of how they can build on solid foundations. Going from random manager to random manager will the way of playing changing everytime is footballing quicksand. Only the likes of City and Chelsea can afford to build a new house everytime.
Actually the passing football philosophy is closer to the NBA. Basketball is basically played at both ends and not so much in the middle with a load of sideways passing around the 3 point line to create space to either pass or run into. Teams do try and win the ball back quickly however if they fail then they simply get back into their zone when defending. Sound familiar? Very rarely do teams do a full court press because the players are too good. It would be like trying to press Barca man to man high up the pitch. Only Guardiola has tried that and it didn't work too well. Spanish or Dutch football is in many ways a lot like Basketball.

However I do agree with your point. Having a club that plays the right way is also a great way to attract the best young European talent.

Several papers running with the story that Koeman is about to sign an extension and giving a specific wage. The most logical explanation is that they've been briefed by Koeman's new agent who's trying to leverage a big offer out of Moshiri. Perhaps the stories linking us to Emmery were our part in the same game.
I'm not convinced that Koeman is really motivated to come to us but the battle for his signature is not over yet.

That's the thing though, I don't think he wants to. He's got plans for after next season.
What happens to those plans if he doesn't deliver anything with Soton next season and they dip sharply from the massively over achieved 6th place from this season?

Where does that leave him? Out of contract and massively on the back foot is where mate.....

He either signs a new hugely improved contract with Soton this summer, or he capitalises on his current position and doubles his current money with a transfer budget that dwarfs that of his current club...

Tough choice.......not.

Not judging him yet, that would be impossible and foolish. Just commenting that as of yet he actually hasn't done anything of note.
What could he have done?
He's been here for abar 2 minutes compared to Kenwright & already there are signs that he intends to get us back up where we belong!!!
If he wasn't here we'd either have Martinez still in charge or arguing over Dyche, Moyes or Hughes for the next manager!!
I respect your opinion mate, however in my opinion anyone questioning Moshiri's actions so far needs to give their head a good wobble...& let it play out till the end of this forthcoming transfer window!!

Last edited:
Can't wait until we announce our new manager purely so we can stop having to hear and read about Moyes, I am absolutely sick to death of the man and it's seriously starting to P me off how he's desperately trying to worm his way back in. When he speaks about us in interviews he still talks about us like there's still some sort of connection, it's always "we".

It's over David, go away and leave us alone. You will never have anything to do with Everton Football Club ever again and if it's true Kenwright apparently spearheading the push to bring him back then he needs pushing out of a window.

It seems Overmars is set for the DoF job but someone mentioned Moyes for the DoF job on here earlier, I don't know if they meant it's happening or they would like that to happen... it's an interesting thought as Moyes found some great players for very small fees and I am sure he's bound to have good connections across the football scene, plus, if possible contractually, he could double up as a defensive coach, again one of his better qualities. @The Esk is there any or could there ever be any truth in this? Was that maybe what the supposed meetings and phone calls are about?
Overmars and De Boer would be the dream ticket.

lol lol lol........... you nearly owed me a new laptop then........ luckily the lager came out of my nose. lol
At least it would have hidden your browsing history:blush:...& you would have a good reason to upgrade...FFS I'm trying to help you here!;)

Don't get the Moyes hate at all tbh. So what he tried to sign two of our players. I'm sure he didn't decide the bidding strategy.

Don't particulary want him as manager, but have no malice for him at all. Think a large part of the fan base would agree too (just not the 'everything is black and white' brigade on the internet.)

To be fair, Martinez also sign the players from Wigan,all the other clubs can sign the players from us, but sure we cannot sell the players unless we think the price is suitable, we can reject the offer that like Chelsea wanted to sign Stones last season

I'm calling it out.....it's starting to take a very familiar road.

Well that puts paid to the Moyes rumours. Sheedy wouldn't be coming out with that of there was a chance he was coming back......phew!
Not only that but it's also clear the people at the club don't want to go back to the old way of playing. De Boer is a great fit. It's a risk but honestly I don't think it's any less a risk than Koeman who has failed at other clubs. There's no doubt about it Koeman has done well with Southampton but as I said before they have a very good team. It's not like he won the league with Leicester.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back