Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I think Mohshiri wants someone he can trust with money who is also tactically astute and capable of pushing us to the next level.

Difficult to find a manager who fits that. The continental candidates are all working with DoFs who have a big role in signing players so unless we get of them in we don't know how they'd do with the money. I'd like us to get a DoF in 1st and then go for the manager.

Bitter, erroneous, unsubstantiated, opinionated rant. Nothing more than that. I would have thought Martinez's struggles here would have led to some more balanced views on Moyes' tenure. Clearly not.

Totally agree. We couldn't make the top 4 with Moyes because we had the likes of Anichebe up front instead of the likes of Henry. Nothing at all to do with attitude.

It seems two of them want the job - De Boer publicly has declared he wants the job, and Pellegrini we guess wants the job. So it seems that Koeman is the key - if he stays at Soton then it will come down to the above two. Emery is an unknown at this stage as no official approach or contact has been confirmed.

All this talk of "no options left - it's Moyes" is horseshite. There are two that we know the club has spoken to, one that we haven't but has declared his interest and one that we haven't spoken to (and may or may not get in touch with). Plus there are others that we may not be aware of. The club is simply conducting it's business privately, we will find out who when we find out.

But....for avoidance of doubt....... IT WILL NOT BE MOYES! ;)

I get the feeling Mohshiri doesn't want to just give out 100M for the sake of it assuming with that sort of money we'll be all set to compete for top 5. Its a case of who knows how to spend big sums and where? I do not think Mohshiri will be particularly pleased to get someone in who'd experiment with the money ending up with a few hits and a few misses. We cannot afford 50M of misses and 50M hits. We are not that rich yet imo. We can't do a 30M Shevchenko or 250M LvG waste of money. 100M in this era is not what it was back in 2005 or even in 2010. Top 8 teams can push to spend 100M these days with TV money and a couple of decent sales.

So I think Mohshiri wants someone he can trust with money who is also tactically astute and capable of pushing us to the next level.

I think that may be partly why a DoF may be considered too. All of the candidates we are aware of have worked under that structure, or a variant of it. I like a model where the head coach has the final say on any additions to the first-team squad, as it's he who will have to mould 11 players on any given day in a coherent team. But that's not to say a DoF can't or shouldn't have input as most would co-ordinate and take overall responsibilty for scouting amongst other things.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back