Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Emery situation is the interesting one. Despite what their chairman said, I still think he is in the mix.

He has a buyout in his contract by all accounts which would deal with any compensation issues. Essentially it would be a case of persuading him to come.

You would have thought someone like him would see it as an ideal platform. He would have a much larger budget than at sevilla and is coming into the premier league which let's face it is where the money is.

Look at the quality of manager in the league next year. Why wouldn't anyone in emery's position not want to test themselves against the likes of guardiola, Jose, conte , Klopp etc? If we seriously offered him the role and he turned it down, you would question his true ambition levels.

I agree with this. He has to see he's pretty much gone as far as he can in that league with Sevilla. The top 3 is almost always going to be the top 3 (and I appreciate that until recently it was a top 2), but our league is a real challenge if he wants to see how far he can go.

Why I don't want Moyes:

During his spell in the Everton hotseat, he made out he was a miracle worker by taking us to consecutive finishes in the top half of the table. In reality, Moyes was incapable of taking us any further.

Lack of finances meant Everton couldn’t compete seemed the party line from Moyes. Too many other sides boasted greater resources which meant we had no chance of success.

It seemed his opinion was that Everton would always fall short, whoever was in charge. Moyes was clever and managed to transform the country’s fourth most successful club into ‘plucky, little’ Everton.

It was all for his own gain. Downplaying Everton made Moyes look better.

Listening to his pre-match and post-match comments during his time at Goodison, one would assume he was the manager of a club just promoted to the Premier League, content with staying in the top-flight and making up the numbers.

There was the famous 'knife to a gunfight' comment, stating Everton had no chance of achieving against sides full of money and world class talent.

Against the best sides, Moyes lacked belief and often his players would be one down before a ball had been kicked, such was his lack of confidence in the team he had built.

Shortly after departing to man utd, Moyes didn't care one bit for the decade he had spent with Everton during his pursuit of Marouane Fellaini and Leighton Baines.

Starting with an offer for the pair Everton described as 'derisory', it stunk of disrespect. This was a man who constantly bemoaned other clubs making low offers for his players during his time at Goodison. Yet here he was, making the exact same moves just months after leaving.

David Moyes is solid and dependable, but he is not a winner. Football is about winning; not finishing sixth best. If he returns we can wave goodbye to any silverware.

Moyes simply lacks the attitude and mentality we must look for in our new boss. We cannot go back there. There are plenty of better, proven managers available this summer.

Bitter, erroneous, unsubstantiated, opinionated rant. Nothing more than that. I would have thought Martinez's struggles here would have led to some more balanced views on Moyes' tenure. Clearly not.

Arguing on GOT....

stopped !!

never !!

Once we have a new manager I expect the first GOT fight and poll to be about something as critical as what colour shoes he will wear.
Does a better manager stand or crouch on the touchline? Tracksuit or suit? Nevermind the CV, these are the qualities we should be careful over... lol

Experience in the prem, shown himself capable in the league, domestic cups and in Europe, can build teams and handle top players, plays great attacking football. Ticks all the boxes for me. Seems less riskier than the other favourites but it's just my opinion.

he did great bringing us from the bottom half of the table to the top half. But we stagnated and need someone who can win us things.

That was not what you put in your post though. Also there's a difference between scraping into tenth every year and finishing in Europa league places. Bottom half to top half in reality was relegation threatened to European qualifying/challenging.

There was actually a good article on why rusty bollocks shouldnt be brought back recently in the echo of all places

* washs self with bleach

I get the feeling Mohshiri doesn't want to just give out 100M for the sake of it assuming with that sort of money we'll be all set to compete for top 5. Its a case of who knows how to spend big sums and where? I do not think Mohshiri will be particularly pleased to get someone in who'd experiment with the money ending up with a few hits and a few misses. We cannot afford 50M of misses and 50M hits. We are not that rich yet imo. We can't do a 30M Shevchenko or 250M LvG waste of money. 100M in this era is not what it was back in 2005 or even in 2010. Top 8 teams can push to spend 100M these days with TV money and a couple of decent sales.

So I think Mohshiri wants someone he can trust with money who is also tactically astute and capable of pushing us to the next level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back