Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
If we really were serious about spending big this summer he would have come. 12 months is a long time in management and it's a lot easier to look impressive to those clubs with a large transfer budget than without. If he was offered something similar to what he has at Southampton then he would have stayed.
Not really, 8th-5th with Southampton is great and has earned him a top reputation already. To continue that reputation he'd have to get us CL in his first season if we gave him big money.

There's also the issue of his contract, we're not going to let him sign a 2 year contract so he can leave for a different team next season. 5 year contracts paying top money are expensive to buy out and could put some teams off if other higher profile candidates are interested.

If we really were serious about spending big this summer he would have come. 12 months is a long time in management and it's a lot easier to look impressive to those clubs with a large transfer budget than without. If he was offered something similar to what he has at Southampton then he would have stayed.

Not neccessarily - he may well have some clauses with the Saints that allow him to walk when Barca or Arsenal come calling - maybe we dont buy into that approach.

I can see why the board (not fans) would want Moyes. Its a safe appointment, they know every year they will be at least top ten, with a chance of Europe. He can also work on a budget and doesn't often blow millions on players. Yes we can name a few but its a few over an eleven year period. Also one of the board members is his biggest fan. Kenwright will be talking about wanting Moyes.

I agree with everyone else on here that he shouldn't come back and his football style isn't the best on the eyes. But after the last two seasons of not knowing how to defend. I was starting to want a little dour defensive football.
But he won't get top 10 every season. The premiership has changed. He never came up against a West Ham team that had the likes of Payet and Lanzini. The quality has gone up and just like in Spain his methods will be found out. He will get us fit and probably keep us up but that's about it.

@The Esk has been heavily hinting Koeman for weeks and dismissing Southampton releases on the contract as 'holding statements' beyond Tuesday. So I'm confused... is Koeman now OUT, was he always first choice or just the most likely option, did things change dramatically on Tuesday because he dropped out or someone else dropped in?

Not sure exactly when Koeman indicated he was staying but it was after the reported and videoed comments. He was first choice. It's an ongoing process though including Emery.

How can we when someone has actually met him and he even says he hopes he gets it
That's IF you believe the quote. It's not a recording of him saying it, it's a picture.

If the quote was
"hey moyes are you coming back to Everton"
"nae pal i'm off to invest in a company in Asia that manufactures top of the line cardigans"

This is the beauty and problem of the internet. Someone throws a pic up, and then it's a fact whatever is said with it.

Are you saying we should have started from the bottom and worked our way up to the best candidates ?
No. I think it's worth taking a risk going after a winner like Emmery but how much of a risk that is is dependent on how attractive a proposition we are with our new investment. That is to say the chances of obtaining a big name manager are directly proportional to the size of the financial investment forthcoming in the club. If there's really a £100 million player budget that doesn't include player sales our chances of obtaining an Emmery type are such that it's worth patiently pursuing them. If the £100 million is made up of player sales, most of this possibly coming from the sale of Lukaku & Stones, then aiming for the stars in unrealistic and we're just losing out on realistic targets like Favre. Thus far we've been turned down by two but still have hope for the final truly coveted manager on the list so I would say the evidence is inconclusive.

I'm clinging to The Esk's reassurance.

Trying hard not to keep thinking back to 1997 when Peter Johnson assured us he was chasing a World Class manager and we ended up with Howard Kendall Mk.3 who was...shall we say...pisssed (sic) his best

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back