Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
When you look at what he said about "being willing to take a project on in the Premier League and it's not just about the money" ( i'm paraphrasing ) , you have to wonder where he might be thinking of :-

• Leicester - no. Ranieri's got that covered
  • Tottenham - No. Manager's safe as houses and not a project anyway
  • Arsenal - No - not a project
  • Citeh - Plainly not
  • West Ham - Kind of fits "a project", but Bilic's in control
  • United - Not a project
  • Soton - similar to West Ham, but substitute Koeman for Bilic
  • Liverpool - If Klopp hadn't been recently appointed I could see that, but not now
  • Chelsea - not a project
  • West Brom - not enough ambition there, they'll be happy with Pulis
  • Bournemouth - Can't see them shifting Howe out
  • Watford - A possibility, but not very likely
  • Swansea - might have legs
  • Palace - Can't honestly see it
  • Norwich - See Palace
  • Sland, Newcastle and Villa - Err, no.
  • Promoted teams - Seems very unlikely
So, if it's not just words, it's us or Swansea. I'd say if Pellegrini is managing a Premier League club next season it'll be us. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he'd been sounded out about that possibility.

Wishful thinking perhaps, but I'd be inclined to agree. If Koeman is going at the end of the year I'd say that throws Saints into the mix too, but we'd still be favourites to land him I'd say.

If Moshiri is as savvy as I suspect him to be he'll be sounding out replacements already, and hopefully Pellegrini is one of them. In fact I'd be gobsmacked if he wasn't sounding out potential replacements by now.

I think we would be mad not to pick up Pellegrini 'on a free' in the summer. We wouldn't have to pay any compensation to City, he wouldn't have to move house, he speaks good English, and his record of getting teams into the Champions League is absolutely brilliant.

I think it would be absolutely ridiculous to keep Martinez on when we have the likes of Pellegrini available and on our doorstep.

images

?

City aren't getting rid of Pellegrini because he is a cack manager, they are getting rid of him because they believe they can attract better. This is someone who has won them the league, two league cups and got them to the QF of the Champions League in just a few years. This is the level of ambition that we are up against.

Compare that to the attitude of some blues, who are still harping on about a good season from two years ago in which we finished 5th. It was the same season that the RS nearly won the league, and they binned off Rodgers because they believed they could attract better. Mourinho, a Chelsea legend and someone who had won them the title as recently as last year was binned off because he wasn't performing well enough.

This is the Premier League, it's 2016, and the playing field has been levelled. We really cannot afford to be holding on to sub-standard managers just because they brought a decent season two years ago, no matter how much of a nice feller you think he is, or how flattered you are by his chat-up lines. We need to adapt to this new level playing field quickly, or we risk being left behind, again.

City aren't getting rid of Pellegrini because he is a cack manager, they are getting rid of him because they believe they can attract better. This is someone who has won them the league, two league cups and got them to the QF of the Champions League in just a few years. This is the level of ambition that we are up against.

Compare that to the attitude of some blues, who are still harping on about a good season from two years ago in which we finished 5th. It was the same season that the RS nearly won the league, and they binned off Rodgers because they believed they could attract better. Mourinho, a Chelsea legend and someone who had won them the title as recently as last year was binned off because he wasn't performing well enough.

This is the Premier League, it's 2016, and the playing field has been levelled. We really cannot afford to be holding on to sub-standard managers just because they brought a decent season two years ago, no matter how much of a nice feller you think he is, or how flattered you are by his chat-up lines. We need to adapt to this new level playing field quickly, or we risk being left behind, again.

Id be very upset if we had pelligrini as manager. Just look at his signings and total failure this season.

Tuchel would be the one...

+ there's no longer a case for sticking by a manager purely for the stability and avoiding a managerial merry-go-round, as a number of teams have chopped and changed recently and improved for it. The Premier League is more competitive than ever now, it's a cutthroat business and there's no time to sit on your hands and wait for it to come good. If you're not doing the business then you're gone.

Yeah not keen on pellegrini, must be some better options

I'm off to bed, but I don't see how we could be turning our noses up at Pellegrini? He has a great record for getting clubs into the Champions League, progressing within the Champions League, and also won a lot of trophies. OK City are not in the title race this season, but they have won a cup and are doing well in the CL. Not exactly a disaster imo.

If there's even better options than Pellegrini out there, that we are capable of attracting, then fair enough. But I think attracting Pellegrini is actually within the realms of possibility. I'm not saying these other names are impossible to attract, but they seem a lot more far fetched than attracting Pellegrini from down the M62.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back