Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, Koeman has done it in a totally different era to Moyes, when each summer he's been in his side have been shorn of their three or four best players.

He also actively looks to play neat football and has learnt lessons defensively in his time in this league, and to get Sotton to a 7th then 6th place finish playing young players and good football, he's done very well.

You must not have seen a lot of Emery, for as good as he is he's a lot more like Moyes than Koeman is.

I haven't seen loads to be fair but I like his style and its not like Moyes, and its a weak comparison to say so. I have seen alot of Southampton and one week they look good and the next quite poor. When they came to Goodson we were there for the taking but they were crap. However he does have a good record against the top teams. I'll give him that.

This is the crux of the problem isn't it. Not many top top drawer managers available. The outside world don't view us as a big club, however if we have the money then I'm sure it can talk.

I don't want to name names because it's harder and harder to understand who is realistic because i don't know what's in Moshiris mind. We have finished bottom half twice and aren't Europe therefore not sure who we can attract. Just not sold on Koeman.

Fair enough. That's honest though.

You're not sold on Koeman. Tbh neither am I, but his recent achievements (relative I know) with Saints make me believe we could do far, far worse, and realistically not much better. Him and Emery are on level pegging, but I won't have the 'exciting brand of football' tool used against Koeman and in favour of Emery. Not saying you said that, btw, but it's just not true, in any way.

Emery has won three EL's on the trot with limited resources, though Sevilla did disappoint in the league this year when, really, they still have a very strong squad, and in the Champions League they transitioned to their 'underdog' status and always looked to sit back and play on the counter - and duly got dumped out.

Why wouldn't Koeman's try get the strongest hand he can if it means playing one off against the other.
Unlike us he has no allegiance with Everton and trying to get the best for himself is number one.
We love Everton sometimes our emotions can cloud our judgement.

Post of the day right there

I haven't seen loads to be fair but I like his style and its not like Moyes, and its a weak comparison to say so. I have seen alot of Southampton and one week they look good and the next quite poor. When they came to Goodson we were there for the taking but they were crap. However he does have a good record against the top teams. I'll give him that.

No I'm not saying Emery is exactly like Moyes mate. But his style is more towards the Moyes' 'style' than Koeman's is. Honest.

Very good manager though, would be a superb choice. So would Koeman, IMO. Just don't like the fact that it seems some of our fans really wouldn't be happy unless we appointed Pep.

Would prefer Emery myself out of the 2, but whoever we get, I'm confident (Hopefully not misplaced?) that the new regime will set a clear set of targets for the new man to achieve in a pre-determined time scale... If not he's out on his ear!

Can't believe no one bumped into Bill in the bogs last night and just asked him what's going on like ?

Spot on.

I'm not claiming to be an expert. But for work I've watched enough of Sevilla over the past two years to know they in now way have a 'high energy style'.

Emery's ability to change his tactics is superb, but every good manager has that, including Koeman.

As I've said, Sevilla do sometimes tend to resemble us under Moyes - yet people are claiming that they don't want Koeman because he is like Moyes, yet in the same breath say they'd want Emery?

I've got no problem with people disagreeing, I just wish there'd be some valid points provided.

The fact that as a fanbase we're able to realistically discuss these two as candidates, however, after the season we have had and the state of the squad with certain players set to leave... shows how far we've come, but also maybe suggests some of our fanbase need a reality check.
I think you may be misunderstanding what people are saying. From what I've seen, the comparisons between Koeman and moyes are based around their ability to get a side in and around the top 6 but struggle to do any more than that, rather than any perceived similarity in playing style.

Not necessarily saying I agree, but I think that is the comparison most often made.

Why wouldn't Koeman's try get the strongest hand he can if it means playing one off against the other.
Unlike us he has no allegiance with Everton and trying to get the best for himself is number one.
We love Everton sometimes our emotions can cloud our judgement.
Oh he has every right. Don't hold that against him, but I also love we just seem to move on from that and it might backfire for him.

And I'm still a fan from the manager Koeman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back