Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
But who out there in your opinion then is available that is reasonably better?

Emery... maybe - though he isn't actually 'available'. As somebody has just said, Koeman was by far the best candidate for most on here until Emery claimed the EL for Sevilla again.

This is the crux of the problem isn't it. Not many top top drawer managers available. The outside world don't view us as a big club, however if we have the money then I'm sure it can talk.

I don't want to name names because it's harder and harder to understand who is realistic because i don't know what's in Moshiris mind. We have finished bottom half twice and aren't Europe therefore not sure who we can attract. Just not sold on Koeman.

The season ended two weeks ago.

It has been well documented that Koeman would speak with Sotton about a new deal before anything happened. It seems that those talks have now taken place, and either he isn't thrilled with the prospect of more players leaving - or something along those lines - or he is bargaining. We'll see.

....I thought I read he was on holiday but I might have that wrong.

I have to 100% agree... Emery is my number one choice but I'm confused where this 'high energy' thing comes from.. They're a very tactical side who of course like any good side press the ball well.. Emery apparently spends hours in a room with players watching videos and its very tactical oriented.. I was reading people comparing him to Bielsa in the way of being obsessed with that side of the game

Spot on.

I'm not claiming to be an expert. But for work I've watched enough of Sevilla over the past two years to know they in now way have a 'high energy style'.

Emery's ability to change his tactics is superb, but every good manager has that, including Koeman.

As I've said, Sevilla do sometimes tend to resemble us under Moyes - yet people are claiming that they don't want Koeman because he is like Moyes, yet in the same breath say they'd want Emery?

I've got no problem with people disagreeing, I just wish there'd be some valid points provided.

The fact that as a fanbase we're able to realistically discuss these two as candidates, however, after the season we have had and the state of the squad with certain players set to leave... shows how far we've come, but also maybe suggests some of our fanbase need a reality check.

....I thought I read he was on holiday but I might have that wrong.

From what's in the public domain mate, Koeman had discussions with Sotton. He said that himself over the last game of the season. You'd imagine that preliminary discussions took place, at least - and in fairness that's what has been reported.

Another one on Emery, he was brought in to fix Koeman's mess at Valencia :coffee:

Yep, and he did well. Though did have his own struggles due to the state of that club at the time.

I've read up on Valencia at that time after @jceverton mentioned what went on there, and though Koeman did struggle, the club was a mess. Emery did well, but equally so Koeman has learned from his mistakes and built himself back up.

He was on holiday, in his villa in the algarve this week.. No idea if he is back yet.

Aye, but pretty sure it was widely documented he was in talks with Saints (probably very prelim discussion about where they were wanting to go etc and player sales) in the few days after the last game of the season. Makes sense.

Spot on.

I'm not claiming to be an expert. But for work I've watched enough of Sevilla over the past two years to know they in now way have a 'high energy style'.

Emery's ability to change his tactics is superb, but every good manager has that, including Koeman.

As I've said, Sevilla do sometimes tend to resemble us under Moyes - yet people are claiming that they don't want Koeman because he is like Moyes, yet in the same breath say they'd want Emery?

I've got no problem with people disagreeing, I just wish there'd be some valid points provided.

The fact that as a fanbase we're able to realistically discuss these two as candidates, however, after the season we have had and the state of the squad with certain players set to leave... shows how far we've come, but also maybe suggests some of our fanbase need a reality check.

Amen to that.. What I've learnt with certainly Everton fans and probably most football fans is we are never happy.. People debating over Koeman and Emery should be looked on as a massive positive and we should thank Moshiri because we all know it would have been Dyche or Howe

Aye, but pretty sure it was widely documented he was in talks with Saints (probably very prelim discussion about where they were wanting to go etc and player sales) in the few days after the last game of the season. Makes sense.
Ive just posted what those talks involved with regards to players.
The new contracts saints have been handing out are a big statement from them as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back