Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Koeman is a good manager, but you'd have to question his motivation if he only comes for the £££.

He clearly didn't want the job at first.

Dont want Koeman if all hes aftet is a payday. Either he sees our ambition and wants to be part of it or he doesnt. If he only comes for the money it wont end well.

If he doesn't employ a high energy style, I'd love to know what you would call that second half against that Shower in the Europa League final.

Blew them with pace.

What would you call the first half?

Sevilla finished 7th this season for a reason mate.

He's a good manager, but he doesn't employ a 'high energy style'. He will in fits and starts, like how he had to change in the final because in the first half they were so bad - playing the tepid counter-attacking style that they employed in a lot of away games in La Liga this term, not winning any.

Still pellegrini for me, however with di matteo and laudrup in the running also possible then it could be anyone. Unsworth have could also be in the running, well at least in a coaching role with Barry maybe!! Manual pellegrini for me though.

Go back a few pages mate. Not being considered.

Yeh, he had a bad time at Valencia. At one club, in Spain. And he still managed to guide them to a trophy in that time.

Struggled after that at AZ for a short time then found his feet at Feyenoord and used the tough experience at Valencia to make him a better manager... He's proven that at Southampton.

Look don't get me wrong I'm not saying he's a rubbish manager, just a bit meh. If we have any ambition under this new owner, I want us to show it here and now as this next appointment is extremely important.

These people who say Koeman doesn't excite them, I'd love to know who does and we could realistically get?

I think we should just be grateful that we are finally being linked with good managers for once.. Either Koeman or Emery and we should all be doing the helicopter

Exactly.

The amazing thing is, 2 weeks ago most people on here didn't even know who Emery was (myself included), but bizarrely he's taken on a mythical status as some kind of footballing god - we need to be realistic.

That Southampton side that rocked at Goodison this season should have blown us away, it didn't and they were very average.

Why do people keep saying this? How does one isolated game matter? They were the better side that day anyway if I recall, with plenty of chances, could've easily scored 2 or 3. Plus they battered us last season.

But that's not even the point. He's a good manager and it would definitely be a coup despite what people are saying.

I think Koeman is a good manager, but you'd have to question his motivation if he only comes for the £££.

He clearly didn't want the job at first.

How do you know that?

Nobody actually knows anything. @The Esk is passing on solid info, but apart from that it's all speculation and guesswork. Unless you know him personally, then you can't say 'he has to be questioned'.

He's under contract, and if we're willing to pay the money to get him, so be it. Would you turn it down in that position?

Emery really doesn't employ a 'high energy' style though, at all.

His teams are much more like Moyes' teams than Koeman's are.

And again, I state, Emery is a good manager. I'd be happy with him. But the current reasons that people on here are giving for dismissing Koeman are really not valid.

I have to 100% agree... Emery is my number one choice but I'm confused where this 'high energy' thing comes from.. They're a very tactical side who of course like any good side press the ball well.. Emery apparently spends hours in a room with players watching videos and its very tactical oriented.. I was reading people comparing him to Bielsa in the way of being obsessed with that side of the game

Yeh, he had a bad time at Valencia. At one club, in Spain. And he still managed to guide them to a trophy in that time.

Struggled after that at AZ for a short time then found his feet at Feyenoord and used the tough experience at Valencia to make him a better manager... He's proven that at Southampton.
Koeman has been given assurances with regards to players at Southampton.
There is an agreement to allow Wanyama to leave, with Spurs being the most likely destination as Potch loves him..

But the link with Koeman joining us has given him a much better bargaining position with Les Reed.
I think it's purely going to come down to cold hard cash if we get him. Massive wages.

Still pellegrini for me, however with di matteo and laudrup in the running also possible then it could be anyone. Unsworth have could also be in the running, well at least in a coaching role with Barry maybe!! Manual pellegrini for me though.

Lad?

Look don't get me wrong I'm not saying he's a rubbish manager, just a bit meh. If we have any ambition under this new owner, I want us to show it here and now as this next appointment is extremely important.

But who out there in your opinion then is available that is reasonably better?

Emery... maybe - though he isn't actually 'available'. As somebody has just said, Koeman was by far the best candidate for most on here until Emery claimed the EL for Sevilla again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back