Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
No problem mate, you just asked a question that's all.
The Esk.
I thought that Koeman was out of the equation and that we had moved on.
I do note that the new contract has not been signed as yet.
But, was he really out of the running and back in and is there any truth in the story that we are offering him an enormous salary to come and that is what is changing his mind ?

Is it possible as well that he overplayed his role as frontrunner and maybe other candidate/s from La Liga have nudged in front?

I can be wrong but I really don't want us to waste more time on Koeman.
Fully respect him as a player, he hasn't set the world alight as a manager and has been sacked a few times. I don't want him, It's my opinion if that's ok with you. And he was terrible at Valencia.
Have to agree, moyes took us to our highest for year. One thing he has in his favour is player attraction but it's risky giving someone all that money judging on his manager career so far.

How do you know that?

Nobody actually knows anything. @The Esk is passing on solid info, but apart from that it's all speculation and guesswork. Unless you know him personally, then you can't say 'he has to be questioned'.

He's under contract, and if we're willing to pay the money to get him, so be it. Would you turn it down in that position?

The Esk was saying Koeman was our top target. If he wanted to come there would have at least been noises from his camp.

Being under contract doesn't mean much in football these days.

Koeman has been given assurances with regards to players at Southampton.
There is an agreement to allow Wanyama to leave, with Spurs being the most likely destination as Potch loves him..

But the link with Koeman joining us has given him a much better bargaining position with Les Reed.
I think it's purely going to come down to cold hard cash if we get him. Massive wages.

It would be.

But if we're willing to pay it...

As I've said numerous times, I'd be delighted with either Emery or Koeman. I just don't understand the argument that Koeman 'isn't good enough for us'... he really is.

The Esk was saying Koeman was our top target. If he wanted to come there would have at least been noises from his camp.

Being under contract doesn't mean much in football these days.

The season ended two weeks ago.

It has been well documented that Koeman would speak with Sotton about a new deal before anything happened. It seems that those talks have now taken place, and either he isn't thrilled with the prospect of more players leaving - or something along those lines - or he is bargaining. We'll see.

Is Emery far better? They're records are very similar...

I'd take either, happily, but I'd say they're very, very similar, and if people want to get away from the 'Moyes' style, then they shouldn't be wanting Emery to come in.
No, emery is far better mate. Koeman has failed multiple times, and almost destroyed Valencia, he's had his chance at a big club, failed miserably, emery has won 3 successive European titles, whilst maintaining respectable positions in the league.

Emery is hardly like moyes either, koeman is very similar to him though so not sure your argument holds up for me mate.

Emery the much better choice for me.

What would you call the first half?

Sevilla finished 7th this season for a reason mate.

He's a good manager, but he doesn't employ a 'high energy style'. He will in fits and starts, like how he had to change in the final because in the first half they were so bad - playing the tepid counter-attacking style that they employed in a lot of away games in La Liga this term, not winning any.

Wininng the Europa League 3 times in a row with different squad said it all. Emery is a winner.

Koeman is an improvement on Martinez like Moyes is an improvement on Martinez. We may as well just hire Moyes ffs at least he knows the club/players.

What would you call the first half?

Sevilla finished 7th this season for a reason mate.

He's a good manager, but he doesn't employ a 'high energy style'. He will in fits and starts, like how he had to change in the final because in the first half they were so bad - playing the tepid counter-attacking style that they employed in a lot of away games in La Liga this term, not winning any.

To me, it seemed like he had them well scouted and knew they would press but eventually run out of steam. They conceded a world class goal but other than that, eh, granted Sevilla didn't get going and I accept that but when they did, was there ever going to be a different outcome?

No, that shower couldn't handle them. They contained Barca for the majority of the other final in the following days until they were beaten by two moments of brilliance by the best player in the world.

He is a fantastic tactician who can seemingly adapt to any opposition, to me he's perfect for us at the minute.

Why do people keep saying this? How does one isolated game matter? They were the better side that day anyway if I recall, with plenty of chances, could've easily scored 2 or 3. Plus they battered us last season.

But that's not even the point. He's a good manager and it would definitely be a coup despite what people are saying.

I don't think he's a bad manager, just not as good as he's bigged up to be, a future Barca boss? Not for me, nor does he strike me as a coup.

I don't go out of my way to watch Southampton, but when I have under Koeman, they've not been great. Two exceptions that stand out - when they ran all over an awful City side and capitalising to come back against Liverpool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back