Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Emery started his managerial career in 2004, so 12 years. In that time he has managed 5 clubs. Averages out at just under 2 and-a-half years per-club.

Koeman started his managerial career in 2000. In that time he has managed 8 clubs. Averages out at exactly two years per-club.

Koeman has Prem experience, Emery does not.

I think they're both good managers, I'd be happy with either, but Koeman is far from 'boring', and actually employs a much more 'exciting' brand of football than Emery does...

Pochettino, Mourinho, Klopp and Wenger didn't have Premier League experience but yenno what, it doesn't really matter if you're a good enough manager.

Sorry but Emery's high energy is what I'd like to see at Goodison over Koeman's style.

That Southampton side that rocked at Goodison this season should have blown us away, it didn't and they were very average. They didn't get going until their keeper come back in January/February. I just don't think he'd a good choice.

Thing is we used to say the same about Moyes. We used to have great form post Jan and finish between 55-65 points consistently with less resources than Southampton. I think Koeman is a good manager but nothing special. If we get him I wouldn't be gutted but equally I wouldn't be too pleased also.

No, Koeman has done it in a totally different era to Moyes, when each summer he's been in his side have been shorn of their three or four best players.

He also actively looks to play neat football and has learnt lessons defensively in his time in this league, and to get Sotton to a 7th then 6th place finish playing young players and good football, he's done very well.

You must not have seen a lot of Emery, for as good as he is he's a lot more like Moyes than Koeman is.

And Emery is exactly the same but with a lack of experience in this league?

He's done brilliantly at Sevilla. I like him, but personally would have more doubts about him coming in than I would Koeman - though I'd be thrilled with either.
No, emery is far better. And having experience in the league rarely makes a difference, most of the best managers in the league came in with no premier league experience.

Moyes did a lot better than Koeman on a shoestring budget but he's considered a laughing stock and not good enough. I really don't get the koeman shouts, southampton is his level. Also seem to remember them having a 10 game winless streak didn't they?

image.webp

Worth repeat posting to bring people back to reality.

The current crop of managers linked (bar Moyes but he doesn't even nearly count) Koeman and Emery especially, are actual streets and leagues ahead of last time.

We'll be boss whoever gets it.

Neil Lennon FFS!

Pochettino, Mourinho, Klopp and Wenger didn't have Premier League experience but yenno what, it doesn't really matter if you're a good enough manager.

Sorry but Emery's high energy is what I'd like to see at Goodison over Koeman's style.

That Southampton side that rocked at Goodison this season should have blown us away, it didn't and they were very average. They didn't get going until their keeper come back in January/February. I just don't think he'd a good choice.

Emery really doesn't employ a 'high energy' style though, at all.

His teams are much more like Moyes' teams than Koeman's are.

And again, I state, Emery is a good manager. I'd be happy with him. But the current reasons that people on here are giving for dismissing Koeman are really not valid.

Fully respect him as a player, he hasn't set the world alight as a manager and has been sacked a few times. I don't want him, It's my opinion if that's ok with you. And he was terrible at Valencia.

Yeh, he had a bad time at Valencia. At one club, in Spain. And he still managed to guide them to a trophy in that time.

Struggled after that at AZ for a short time then found his feet at Feyenoord and used the tough experience at Valencia to make him a better manager... He's proven that at Southampton.

Emery really doesn't employ a 'high energy' style though, at all.

His teams are much more like Moyes' teams than Koeman's are.

And again, I state, Emery is a good manager. I'd be happy with him. But the current reasons that people on here are giving for dismissing Koeman are really not valid.

If he doesn't employ a high energy style, I'd love to know what you would call that second half against that Shower in the Europa League final.

Blew them with pace.

No, emery is far better. And having experience in the league rarely makes a difference, most of the best managers in the league came in with no premier league experience.

Is Emery far better? They're records are very similar...

I'd take either, happily, but I'd say they're very, very similar, and if people want to get away from the 'Moyes' style, then they shouldn't be wanting Emery to come in.

Still pellegrini for me, however with di matteo and laudrup in the running also possible then it could be anyone. Unsworth have could also be in the running, well at least in a coaching role with Barry maybe!! Manual pellegrini for me though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back