Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
There were plenty of Emery shouts well before the Europa.

You, @jceverton and a few others - as I said 'bar a few members'.

Since the final loads more jumped on - some who were back then claiming Koeman would be brilliant but now saying he's so 'meh' compared to the mighty Unai.

Once again, I think Emery is a top manager -and he'd be a very good appointment.

My doubt remains the same as it has been since his name was first mentioned - is he the manager to make the most of our young prospects?

So if he got appointed I'd be delighted, but for me Koeman is (and always has been) the ideal candidate.

Just an opinion but I do believe it's backed it up with reasoned points.

Wasn't there something about him having severe home sickness even when playing for Spain in WC / Euros? If that is the case then it's not a surprise he's not been as good as he was at Sevilla.
Stuff like that usually just gets blown up, like it did with baines

Yep, a few were. I was involved in those discussions.

However, the band wagon has gotten crowded in the last few weeks...

My main doubt with Emery is I don't know if he's the right manager to make the most of this 'young' squad we have now.

He's a great manager to operate on a shoestring budget and find bargains in the market. But we've had one of those... He's not great with youth players, though by no means does that mean he won't play them. However, would he build up on the momentum and potential of the likes of Barkley, Del (already had troubles last season, albeit down to both parties), Davies, Stones, Rom (probably will have left), Besic etc etc...

That is my question mark over him. Which I have been saying for a few weeks now.

This is a great post. It is my concern too and probably why i think De Boer fits us better, but Emery is probably the better manager.

For me Emery is very similar to Benitez when he first arrived at Liverpool, (I would say even better pedigree than him). I don't think he has been great and bringing youth through. You can look at that two ways really:
1) He doesn't hold bringing young players up as central to his plan.
2) He is pragmatic and what was required at Valencia (and particularly Sevilla) didn't lead itself easily to integration of young players.

I do think, even with additional money we have got youth development has to be key for Everton. English players are going to be at a premium and having lads coming through will be a godsend. I think it's an Everton was of doing things as well. My own suggestion is that we get a DOF in who puts a high value on youth development. My choice would be Loew from Germany but Overmaars also fits the bill in that regard.

If he gets certain instructions from above then I suppose Emery may take the pragmatic route and go along with it? We will see. I do think turning our back on players like Barkley, Stones, and also then lads like Davies, Dowell etc would be a silly mistake. No matter how youth friendly you are if you have good players then it's worthwhile picking them.

We don't know if it's 1 or 2 with Emery. I hope it's more 2.

i highly doubt emery will be interested in porto, it will be a massive step down for him.

The braga manager will end up at porto imo.

Wasn't there something about him having severe home sickness even when playing for Spain in WC / Euros? If that is the case then it's not a surprise he's not been as good as he was at Sevilla.

Yeh I think it was either 2008 Euros or 2010 WC...

Not sure if it's that though, I think some players are just better suited to certain styles. Navas was the main man at Sevilla and he was ace in partnership with Negredo. Don't think he's ever suited the English game though. Still, scored against us like

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back