Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a little quandry though mate, how many of the odler players went off a cliff maybe a year or two earlier than they would have udner Moyes? Squad generally looks massively unfit compared to how it used to be - even the younger players run out of gas after not doing much running, honestly think Martinez training doesn't lead to a good engine and for older players that will tell more dramaticilly - look at how Milan and their system ensured their players aged very well into their mid 30's

Don't think it can be overlooked that Barry aside (who looks to be a utter oddity in that regard) - every player over the age of 30 looks to have deteriorate from a little to massively under Martinez

With the greatest of respect, you can't choose RM as the reason for their cliff falling yet discount evidence to the contrary as an oddity.

Tim Howard forgetting how to catch is not RM's fault. We've got a very good goalkeeping coach apparently.

Distin? Those mistakes? They were him switching off.

Jelavic? Was cack for Moyes in his last season.
Hitzl? Just no.
Hibbert has died, poor fella.
Gibson couldn't get on the pitch for Moyes - that's why we had Phil Neville and Osman at CM.
Anichebe?!?! Injury pro and his best season was 9 or something rancid like that.
Heitinga? You think Moyes would have got more out of Heitinga? He couldn't even get in the team as player of the year.
Pienaar and his injury problems are not the fault of RM. Sure you can't be claiming that?
Would you have kept Phil Neville?
Jan Mucha?

Do you think Moyes would have got more from Osman?

With absolute respect because you're quite clearly a good blue, I don't think the notion that we would have got more miles out of the above holds much water.

With the greatest of respect, you can't choose RM as the reason for their cliff falling yet discount evidence to the contrary as an oddity.

Tim Howard forgetting how to catch is not RM's fault. We've got a very good goalkeeping coach apparently.

Hitzl? Just no.
Gibson couldn't get on the pitch for Moyes - that's why we had Phil Neville and Osman at CM.
Anichebe?!?! Injury pro and his best season was 9 or something rancid like that.
Heitinga? You think Moyes would have got more out of Heitinga? He couldn't even get in the team as player of the year.
Pienaar and his injury problems are not the fault of RM. Sure you can't be claiming that?
Jan Mucha?

With absolute respect because you're quite clearly a good blue, I don't think the notion that we would have got more miles out of the above holds much water.

Was just throwing it out as a suggestion mate, not something i think is the reason

How exactly any of those players you listed with the obvious exceptions of Pienaar and Distin where any loss and a hole needing to be replaced - thus making Martinez job hard though is beyond me, you've listed players who where either plainly not good enough but playing like Jelavic and Neville, or who had hardly featured the last year or two under Moyes such as Hibbert, Hitz (1 year only obv)

Distin fading paved the way for Stones to come into the squad - so arguably his going off a cliff was a blesisng as it enebled stones to play a lot more than he would have otherwise and thus develop to the player we saw and every one covetted.
Pienaar - as a Phisio Martinez should have been able to evaluate he was unreliable to have as the only genuine left sided option, its now been 6 windows he has had to rectify that and each one it has become icnreasingly obvious of its need, yet we go to old trafford playing basically no one on the elft side as we don't have a left sided player and instead we go with cleverley doing an imprseeion out their or kone, or naismith etc etc etc

As i said the rest you have listed where just padding in the team, none at their best was anything more than average at best, he didn't have to replace key elements of the team anywhere near as much as people make out, most of the areas he was repalcing absolute dross and thats not exactly a hard thing to do

Distin fading paved the way for Stones to come into the squad - so arguably his going off a cliff was a blesisng as it enebled stones to play a lot more than he would have otherwise and thus develop to the player we saw and every one covetted.
Pienaar - as a Phisio Martinez should have been able to evaluate he was unreliable to have as the only genuine left sided option, its now been 6 windows he has had to rectify that and each one it has become icnreasingly obvious of its need, yet we go to old trafford playing basically no one on the elft side as we don't have a left sided player and instead we go with cleverley doing an imprseeion out their or kone, or naismith etc etc etc
That part really makes me laugh the more I think about it. I'm about as dubious about his 'licensed physio' credentials as I am of his 'I am a good manager' accolades.

but....those stupid fn neck scarfs he wears...! I mean...COME ON!

oh i hate them, there is no need... however if he was our scarf wearing manager i wouldn't be too bothered.

specially when he snides all over someone. I would want Mourinho just for the utter comedy of him getting us beating that lot at their place, running down the touchline to the kop sliding on his knees, then bowing and walking back laughing at Klopp.

What...? we can all dream.

Wow, if LVG is really staying in MU, we ABSOLUTELY NEED to go after Mourinho. I ABSOLUTELY HATE him, but he is such a big name in football, it would be a perfect statement we absolutely need to make right now. We are playing no defence, Mourinho is almost 100% about defence, he gives his team a system. He wanted Stones - he would have him here. It looks like they are still in love with each other with Lukaku - he is still here. According to rumors, he wanted Niasse before Chelsea sacked him - wow, he is here too. He would have Barkley here, that's quite a name too. According to rumors he may have 100m+ for transfers. Many players still will want to play for him, he could create a squad totally to his liking. The only bad thing is he does not give many chances to youth players, but that's almost the same like with Martinez, he only talks about youngsters... btw a few years ago Mourinho said this:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/real-madrid-boss-jose-mourinho-3352953

If we are lucky, Spain will want Martinez as a replacement for del Bosque. They may say themself he would be great with better players, and after all if Benitez failed in Real and if he fails in Newcastle, he failed even more hard than Martinez here. And well, which manager jobs in football will be available this summer?

MCFC - Pep; MUFC - LVG; AFC - Wenger; LFC - Klopp; Spurs - Pochettino; Chelsea - Conte; (sadly) WHU - Bilic = can't see them sacking him after the season they have; Barcelona - lol; Real Madrid - Zidane could likely stay, but it is Real...; Atletico - Simeone, no way; Valencia - they will go after him and have money, but... they are even worse than we are and the chances he could beat top 3 are even less likelier than he would have here; Juventus - Allegri, nah; Napoli - Sarri - they won't sack him after a season they have; Inter - Mancini - Mourinho himself said a month ago they have a project with Mancini so he is not going there right now; AC - well, they would likely want him, but I can't see Mourinho going to the biggest rival of a club he loved to manage and where he is possibly the biggest legend of the club history, they have worse team than we have too; PSG - no chance; Monaco - no change; Zenit - I can't see that; Porto - I don't think he will come back there so early... then only international teams are left and I really can't see Mourinho as an international team manager, even through England job will likely be available

So in other words - if MU are really staying with LVG and RM are not sacking Zidane, then the best football jobs that are likely available are Valencia, Milan and... Everton. I believe if Moshiri presents him the right project, there could be a chance... CONTACT MOURINHO NOW!

Hitzl? Just no.
Jan Mucha?

Don't like playing hypothetical games but had Moyes continued I don't think we'd have seen the marginalisation of Naismith Mirallas and Gibson as a start. All three would be very good squad members in my view in an age and experience range we are sorely lacking in.

Nothing wrong with the back 3 (Jags Baines Coleman) He obviously inherited Heitinga and Distin as our reserve CBs. Two seasons in and we end up with a pairing of 19 year old Stones and Alcaraz. Moyes preferred Distin to Heitinga (not my taste particularly) but a strong managerial choice would have been to make Heitinga and Jags your first choice pairing. Instead we ended up with three centrebacks in his second season (after Distin had been alienated) one being a teenager one clearly past it.

Same upfront. Moyes left Jelavic Anichebe and Naismith as striking options. This season we had Lukaku and Kone. Lukaku is clearly the crown Jewell but are we really saying that pushing out Jelavic and Anichebe and De Ying Naismith game time was worth it for Kone?

What I'm trying to say is Martinez got left in my opinion a very good core of players admittedly without much depth and with the omission of a top quality centre forward.

It was then Roberto's choice to restructure the whole midfield (I don't think it's improved) and he made some odd decisions in defence and upfront in my view.

Zat passes it all off these days 'Gibson unfit, Mirallas ha ha, Naismith rubbish, Jelavic spent, etc.' But they weren't when Martinez took over, he could have chose to build on the base of players instead he moved on a lot of them for his own. Fair enough but I don't think he got a bad handover. (Centre forwards aside maybe).

The big problem for me with Mourinho is that a lot of the promising young lads we have coming through wouldn't get a chance.

Aslong as we were winning titles I couldn't give a monkeys toss tbh pal likewise would 95% of the fanbase.

Ask Leicester fans if they are gutted that Mahrez or Kante have taken possibly 2 of their young players place In the team I doubt they will be bothered when they're winning week in week out.

The big problem for me with Mourinho is that a lot of the promising young lads we have coming through wouldn't get a chance.

You know what though mate, id like to see him have the challenge, like he had at porto - where he didn't have the monies of the richest clubs and he had to rely on youth a bit.

When he was at porto he won the champions league by spending under £30m on that squad...

I for one don't think we would ever get him - but i would love to see him take the challenge and see what he could do.

You know what though mate, id like to see him have the challenge, like he had at porto - where he didn't have the monies of the richest clubs and he had to rely on youth a bit.

When he was at porto he won the champions league by spending under £30m on that squad...

I for one don't think we would ever get him - but i would love to see him take the challenge and see what he could do.

We all know Mourinho is a world class manager, I agree with you though, I reckon he needs a project/challenge in his next job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back