Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
We would allow him to build a team where Southampton sell all the players. He is the most releastic option for us with pellegrini.

Simone, Emery,Jose will see Everton as a step down but the R's did pull klopp which will turn out to be a great piece of move by them. Pep and Conte with klopp might tempt the likes of Simone and the world class managers to this league and we have money so but would need our club to be ambitious. It's all in Moshiri hands. Is he astue enough?
You would like to think he's astute enough given he's a successful businessman. I agree we need a proven name. First step will be to 'release' the current manager first. If we actually do that the next phase will not only be interesting but also crucial for the direction we go in.

Would love Pellegrini, proven winner, plenty of experience, has managed in the Premier League, has a good reputation and has done well at a very wide range of different structured clubs working under a range of different budgets.

A safe bet and I believe he'd be able to get the most out of our squad.

Would be very happy with Pellegrini also.

Still think Jorge Sampaoli (Chile's old manager) deserves a shout.

There is an interesting comparison there. I don't think Ajax's budget is that superior to others and prior to De Boer going there they had not won the league for a while. Ajax's budget was always comparable to ours, and may be less now but he has always produced decent teams.

In general Holland is a good league for us to look for managers from. They have lots of young players and have to sell players and replace them consistently. Anyone who has shown themselves competent at this will be quite suited to a club like Everton.

In all honesty De Boers record in Europe is more consistent over the years than Cocu (though he has outperformed him this year). I remember them winning against City one year. They are normally competitive.

I do understand what you are saying about Cocu having less money but I think De Boer having more is a strength. What it has meant is that they don't have to sell players quite as early and this is more in tune with what it would be like for Everton.

What tips me towards De Boer is his consistency over a pro-longed period and also how he has a winning mentality. I think alongside the skills we have noted from Holland, (i.e. developing players from their own academy, recruitment and development of younger players and a distinctive playing style) De Boer has also demonstrated the ability cope with the pressure of being expected to win and delivered.

That over the last 10 years has been Everton's biggest achilles heel. Being able to cope with the expectancy of having a side that can challenge to win things. I had hoped Martinez could overcome this but that is ebbing away. I am not sure he'd have the consistency to deliver year on year and I think De Boer is our best bet.

I would be happy with either De Boer or Cocu. De Boer is close to top of my list (only behind Tuchel) and Cocu I would put alongside AVB or Emery who I would be very happy to have. I think De Boer just has the edge of consistency over Cocu though.
Really interesting post, the other factor that I think is in De Boer's favour is his assistant Berkamp has a very good knowledge of the Premiership.

He's 60, he alienates his players and works them to the bone. They'll run in to the ground by January.

His teams fall off towards the end of the season and he's never won a pot in Europe.

Get a progressive manager a la De Boer.

Aggressive pressing and a constantly high work rate doesn't seem to have harmed Spurs this season (AND they have Europa too). Better than playing in flip-flops like our team...

I do agree with you about de Boer, though

Aggressive pressing and a constantly high work rate doesn't seem to have harmed Spurs this season (AND they have Europa too). Better than playing in flip-flops like our team...

I do agree with you about de Boer, though

I'm all for a pressing team, just not one that falls off and can actually press all season.

Biesla plays 3-3-3-1 formation which basically means his players have to press well and change from defence to attack quickly. He would be a risk no doubt but he could potentially be a top manager in this league.

Although again no concrete sources and martinez is still in a job.
Not going to happen,he's a Maverick,sadly not the Everton way.

De Boer is looking to come to the Prem, he was open to talks with Swansea, reading what he says here and what he's looking for, he'd definitely come here now Moshiri is on-board.

When asked by Dutch media about his next move, De Boer said: ‘First you have to see what the plan is at a club and what I and the people I would take with me could add to it.

‘The last club I was linked with was Swansea City. I have had no contact with them at this time.

‘But what if these people paint me a pretty picture that they are in that category of clubs with which I could do something beautiful? Like clubs such as Tottenham and Liverpool.

‘Those are the sort of clubs with which you would want to work. But the most important thing would be the feeling I get.’

De Boer is looking to come to the Prem, he was open to talks with Swansea, reading what he says here and what he's looking for, he'd definitely come here now Moshiri is on-board.

When asked by Dutch media about his next move, De Boer said: ‘First you have to see what the plan is at a club and what I and the people I would take with me could add to it.

‘The last club I was linked with was Swansea City. I have had no contact with them at this time.

‘But what if these people paint me a pretty picture that they are in that category of clubs with which I could do something beautiful? Like clubs such as Tottenham and Liverpool.

‘Those are the sort of clubs with which you would want to work. But the most important thing would be the feeling I get.’

Any links to this?

There is an interesting comparison there. I don't think Ajax's budget is that superior to others and prior to De Boer going there they had not won the league for a while. Ajax's budget was always comparable to ours, and may be less now but he has always produced decent teams.

In general Holland is a good league for us to look for managers from. They have lots of young players and have to sell players and replace them consistently. Anyone who has shown themselves competent at this will be quite suited to a club like Everton.

In all honesty De Boers record in Europe is more consistent over the years than Cocu (though he has outperformed him this year). I remember them winning against City one year. They are normally competitive.

I do understand what you are saying about Cocu having less money but I think De Boer having more is a strength. What it has meant is that they don't have to sell players quite as early and this is more in tune with what it would be like for Everton.

What tips me towards De Boer is his consistency over a pro-longed period and also how he has a winning mentality. I think alongside the skills we have noted from Holland, (i.e. developing players from their own academy, recruitment and development of younger players and a distinctive playing style) De Boer has also demonstrated the ability cope with the pressure of being expected to win and delivered.

That over the last 10 years has been Everton's biggest achilles heel. Being able to cope with the expectancy of having a side that can challenge to win things. I had hoped Martinez could overcome this but that is ebbing away. I am not sure he'd have the consistency to deliver year on year and I think De Boer is our best bet.

I would be happy with either De Boer or Cocu. De Boer is close to top of my list (only behind Tuchel) and Cocu I would put alongside AVB or Emery who I would be very happy to have. I think De Boer just has the edge of consistency over Cocu though.

Well, Cocu with less resources won it last season with a bunch of players he brought from the youth team...this season after losing players like Depay hes pretty much on track again and did very well in the champions league. I think over a 5+ year period it appears that he would do better than de boer based upon the short timescale we can look at now.

I'd see Mourinho as a first choice as he has a point to prove and puts us on the global map.

Tuchel as hes proven now he can follow Klopp and also improve on his work with a more exciting possession based style yet the same players mostly.

Very interesting call from @brieverton there on the monaco manager. Hes actually a new mourinho type having been a manager since his late 20's i think...the only concern with him is that hes been sacked twice due to internal arguments at clubs.

If things unfold with Martinez as most of us expect, De Boer would be the most likely candidate. You just get the feeling it's his "turn" now, but obviously the board would need to be satisfied/happy in appointing him. Not my 1st choice, but would offer defensive stability and bring a good staff with him. I would welcome him here.

Bruno Andrade, no idea who he is or who he works for. But seems to be a Portuguese journalist for goal.com tweeted this in regards to Marco Biesla and us.

http://m.goal.com/s/br/news/15062/o...=HP_BN_1&utm_referrer=https://t.co/VWkTnSMFAl

This is translated into English:
With an eye on next season, Everton studies change the coach of the team. With the Spanish Roberto Martínez practically out of the plans, the board of Liverpool club has consulted Marcelo Bielsa. The Argentine enjoyed the first contact and stressed the desire to work in the Premier League.

As the Blog Now Balls revealed on the last day 7, the hermano coach dismissed in recent months proposals from Brazil, Argentina and Spain. All this because he has the dream to take a team from England.

Bielsa, now 60, is away from football since leaving the command of Marseille in August last year."

Begs the question - what has a Portuguese journo got on an English club wanting an argentine coach whose most recent job was with a French club?

So yea, probably one of those off the cuff posts but could be true?

If true, it'd be the opposite of our supposed manager template "young and give time to build" could quite change into "steady the ship, increase the league performance and prepare for next manager"

With that all being said, the only thing I don't like about RM is his on pitch performances. Seems to do wonders with everything else regarding building the trainin complex and preparing young squads and he seems to have a considerable knack at securing negotitians with players (that will probably be affected now) but I'm not sure any other manager we could of got would of secured some of the signings we've had. But Biesla (for example and purposes linked to the above article) is in a respected position since he has had necessary experience and worked with some top class players.

Biesla is renowned for his mad man approach mind. Not sure whether this is media trying to juice rumours of us joining in this management craze and create an exciting prospect next season, Pep, Klopp, Mourinho (if he is to go UTD), Conte, Wenger (somewhat) they will all add charisma to what has been dull thus far

Distinctly remember Biesla managing Chile and employing a 3331 formation which led the next manager to make it into a 352 and have success in the World Cup. Employed the same tactic in Bilbao also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back